120 series tow bar recall

jokerswild

I recently had a letter from Toyota about a recall on my Prado tow bar. Apparently some bolts might come loose with use of some load levellers when towing. I do a lot of van towing so I booked in with very efficient lady at Plowrights in Port Macquarie. All bolts checked ok. , and at no cost for that plus a new Toyota load leveller set. In exchange for my old set. This unit is very good and works well, and I have found since that those who have problems use super heavyweight levellers and strain them to the limit. I have seen two A frames on vans snapped, and heaps bent where the chains connect. Work out the G forces on this point and it's staggering. As a driver who has towed for over. 50 years, might I suggest that the vehicle itself should be level when ready to hitch up, then use the levellers to bring back to height when hooked up. Air bags or spring lifts, pump up shock all help. Too many people load their vehicles to the limit then expect the bars to carry that and the van, and with every heavy front weights on most modern vans, the a frame suffers.