Suspension choice

89Camry

Good evening all,

Its been a while since I've had time to be on the forums, but hopefully I'll have a little more time going forward.

I've just purchased a new toy - a 1990 celica GT4. The suspension is a bit tired and I'm looking at options for upgrading.

As I've never owned one of these cars before, any advice on what suspension setup would be best would be greatly appreciated. Current the car has king low springs and some very dodgy shocks.

The plan for the car is a daily driver/weekender with some track work thrown in occasionally.

Many thanks in advance.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry this question has not been addressed sooner.

Firstly you have the option of shocks and springs or a complete coil over setup. With the springs obviously its the cheaper option as opposed to the coil overs however with the coil overs you get a large range of customisation.

To answer your question. With springs there are a range of manufactures that offer products for the ST185 GT4, all with respectable reputation. Tanabe, TEIN, King Spring, Eibach and TRD to name a few and KYB, Tanabe and TRD make shocks to compliment the spring setup.

Coil over setups are offered by D2 racing, TEIN, BC Racing, Megan Racing and a few other but these are the main ones that come to mind.

You probably know the coil overs are going to offer you a more custom setup for your car I.E. ride height and stiffness that you don't get as much with the springs and shocks but at the price reflects this of course.

My personal advise would be if you are going to use it as a daily as well as track work then get a set of KYB shocks and complement it with TEIN S Sport Springs.

Hope this helps.

:clap:

• 1 month later...

Your standard suspension should be pretty good. A japanese guy won the africa rally in your car and he then went on to help design Tein Suspension

Group A/WRC cars do NOT run standard road-car suspension, especially not on dirt rallies like the Safari....

Yes, I think that would be obvious. What im really saying is that the GT4's (not sure about this earlier model) usually run quite a firm suspension.

And unless youre going to a track, the standard suspension is good enough for on the road (in the 94 models anyway)

Sport suspension isnt for everyone as its usually very jarring and a bit uncomfortable for daily use, esp. when combined with a larger rim like a 17"

Unless you have a high quality set up lik eTein Super Street and use a 15" rim

I tried 16's with my Teins (set on maximum travel) and they were very hard

15's are much better