5l or 5le

Inbits

Hey guys look back for some info I have recently picked up an 02 single cab hilux 5le diesel. Now it has a blown engine so I either need to rebuild the current one or source a replacement. I prefer the mechanical Injection of the 5l has anyone converted from efi to mechanical before?

Reason is I know nothing but about efi and like the simplicity of the mechanical but not sure whether worth doing

• 4 weeks later...

I generally agree with you. the conversion is easy--change the front engine housing and fit the new cam belt and pump assy. with injectors and lines. you can probably toss the EMU, but you will HAVE to make sure you have a 5L glowplug timer system (and tacho?). All this may require wiring retrofit of the necessary harnesses. Ditch the elect fuel pump, and the mech pump will draw it's own fuel. Make sure you have a primer pump in your fuel system--I have a hand opperated diesel proof rubber bulb (ebay <$10) I squeeze as needed. It's a lot cheaper than the oem system. To assist yourself, get a CD version of the 1998-2004 hilux repair manual from ebay. It contains good wiring diagrams as unique systems in various sections of the car and is smaller/cheaper/more durable than a book. Can be read on Linux, or used with wine. IMHO efi is too unreliable long term for safe/affordable operation in Australia, where a sudden remote failure can kill you, financially, if not literally. Electrical failures are almost always without warning, and few outlying mechanics can fix them. Stick with something common, that anyone can repair with minimum technology/skills-even if it's gutless/ugly/plain/doesn't stand out, because it can always be made run, even by a supervised 16yo. Which is why I bought a Toyota, rather than a much cheaper Rodeo/Triton. They are just too rare, and thus parts will always be a problem--be it not available on demand &/or expensive.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a LC 120 Prado with the 5L-E engine, it used to be running after one turn when starting the engine, no matter what temperature it was often down to -10°C or more, now for some time it has been difficultt to get started when temps are below 0°C and it takes quite a start to get running. I had suspected the glowplugs but they seem to be working. 
So, then I am beginning to wander if it is related to the electrical system on the 5L-E version, can anyone tell me what the eletrical equipment on the E version does, is it fiddling with timing the pumps or does it connect to the injection pump(s) as part of governor system?

Best Regards

Ibbi

• 2 years later...
On 3/15/2020 at 6:57 PM, oilivepickle said:

Hi I am after some help I am trying to swap a 5L back into my ln167 5L-E having wiring night mares has any one done this and is there an easy solution Thanks

How did you go with this?