advise on buying hilux

justchillin

Hey fellas.

Selling my 80 series soon and gonna get a newer model hilux (2006 onwards with 3.0l turboed intercooled diesel. Selling my 80 series cause I want somethin that is abit more reliable, comfortable and better on fuel. And over worrying about getting defected with my cruiser.

What should I look for when gettin a hilux. Are there any known problems with that type of hilux and did they change much over the years from 2006? I'm lookin at gettin and extra cab aswell.

Cheers

Johno

Hey Johno,

I got a 2013 SR 4x4 Double Cab Hilux Turbo Diesel Auto.

I know for the 2014 models, they have add extra safety features to make it get a 5 star ancap rating. (read link below)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/267737/2014-toyota-hilux-new-auto-safety-upgrades-price-rises-for-double-cab-ute/

Now if your getting a used Hilux between 2004 and end of 2009, make sure to check it has done its saftey recall notice for a cable which controls the drivers side air bag (can cause it will not deploy in an accident)

I'll just list what I find annoying about the Hilux,

- Extremely large, whenever I go to the shops I have to make sure the spots are big enough to fit it. If not I park far away and take two spots :P.

- My car is too tall cause I got strobe lights (that's my companies fault, gotta have it for safety reasons) Total height of my Hilux is 2.183m.

- Back seat is the most uncomfortable to sit in when driving long distance. (drove to South Australia and back wasn't fun at the back with 3 grown adults)

I hope it helps, just ask a question and ill get back to you.

regards,

Daniel