will it cause damage if I started engine twice?

Hi,

I just got my new ascent sport few days ago and I accidentally started the engine while it was already running, can anyone pls tell me if this will cause damage to the fly wheel/starter? Thanks a lot. :help:

Did you hear any grinding/crunching noises? In the old days you'd run the risk of damaging the starter motor and the flywheel ring gear, these days I'm fairly sure most cars have an over-ride which prevents activation of the starter motor if the engine is already running (a very simple circuit and something which I think should be standard on every car).

Did you hear any grinding/crunching noises? In the old days you'd run the risk of damaging the starter motor and the flywheel ring gear, these days I'm fairly sure most cars have an over-ride which prevents activation of the starter motor if the engine is already running (a very simple circuit and something which I think should be standard on every car).

Hi Hiro, Thanks for your reply, no, I didnt hear unusual grinding noises, does it mean that the engine/gear should be fine? thank you

I googled and I found this post:

https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080629232044AAGmdIE

The noise it makes will be similar to crunching gears in a manual, except probably a bit higher pitched. Hard to miss unless you're deaf or have the music cranked, so if you didn't hear anything (and the car still starts normally) then probably nothing happened.

Still a practice to avoid though, just in case.

The noise it makes will be similar to crunching gears in a manual, except probably a bit higher pitched. Hard to miss unless you're deaf or have the music cranked, so if you didn't hear anything (and the car still starts normally) then probably nothing happened.

Still a practice to avoid though, just in case.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

As said, I highly doubt that it should cause any problems. Don't mean to sound like your parents, but don't do it again! Otherwise you may hear the noises as mentioned above and have some serious issues.

As someone has stated before, newer cars have cut off switches that don't allow the engine starter motor to reignite the spark plugs. As long as the incident doesn't happen again and again everything should be fine.

don't allow the engine starter motor to reignite the spark plugs.

Starter motors engage the flywheel/flex-plate ring gear to turn the engine....they have nothing to do with spark plugs at all...

• 8 months later...