'92 Celica SX 5S-FE modifications??

AussiePrideKid

Hey all,

Im new to this, a complete noob, and just bought myself a '92 SX Celica, so bare with me!

Through research I found that mods for my model in australia can be hard to find, im talking extractors, cat back, etc.

Im looking for more power, allround.

Would I be better off doing a full engine conversion? Or is it possible to come by the right upgrades despite what ive read? Apparently i wouldnt go wrong if i swapped my 5S-FE for a 3S-GTE?

(ive attached a photo of my new baby)

Any help is much appreciated,

thanks people.

post-35779-0-02452900-1402755892_thumb.j

Probably a 3S-GTE, but only once you're off those P plates. ;)

With a little more research and a fistful of dollars you could try looking at a 5S-GTE option instead.

In all honesty, power is probably the last thing you should be worried about.. but that doesn't stop you from reading up about how to do it properly. ;)

Non-turbo engines aren't made for boost that most turbos deliver. The internals of the engine will give way from being put under too much stress a lot quicker than a build engine (ie. an engine made for the purpose it's going to serve). A 3S-GTE is a good example. The 'T' means turbo... from factory. Your 5S-FE isn't made to go as hard as a turbo powered engine will.

Anyway, research is your best friend at this point, because it sounds like you have a bit of reading to do. :D "If something is worth doing once, then it's worth doing properly" a statement a lot of modders tend to forget when in your boat. Something I myself have learned over the years too.

• Like 1

I'll refer back to my previous post about doing other 'essential' stuff to your car to augment it's potential 'future' power output. Just because you can't drive it fast, doesn't mean it's not able to be setup to be quick. For example, my Celica is still a 3S-GE. It's capable of putting out 180hp (3rd gen Jap spec) but I don't need that kind of power to go quick. Most of this car's capabilities come from the setup in the handling. Yours is no different. It might be the next generation up, and a bit heavier, but you can still do largely the same stuff that I've done to mine without the wallet-destruction of working purely on engine mods.

If I were you I'd be looking more at suspension mods (shocks/springs, swaybars, suspension bushes, strut tower bars, etc.) that can make a car feel quicker, without going for the extra $$$ for more power or speed. Anyway search those keywords in Google and start your research, and whet that modder's apetite. :D

Thanks for the advice Andrew :) i'll certainly look into that!

My Celica needs new suspension anyway, it bottoms out like a boat on a motocross track!

Any tips on what shocks/springs to get? Im thinking of lowering it too.

If you're in the market for suspension upgrades you'll have to take into consideration a few things:

* How low do you need

* Comfort

* Purpose

I rate those pretty highly. Firstly if you're bottoming out, you're going to need new bump stops. My car did that like crazy when I first got mine, and I discovered it had no bump stops in it at all. Second, aftermarket springs/shocks or coilovers? This point draws on the last two areas I named, comfort and purpose. Coilovers are usually attached to some form of racing or motorsport, kind of like if someone buys them they're made to do more than just road driving. A lot of people will say get coilovers, but consider the cost (research a few brands on a Google search) and consider the appalling lack of comfort you'll get from the ride. So my suggestion is that if you're not taking it any further than the road and value your teeth and spine functionality, go for a set of shocks like KYB's and maybe King Low's as a suggestion. A fourth area I didn't mention but something to be taken highly into consideration is Practicality. You'll want it low enough to feel good through the bends and sharp to drive, but still have enough stature to attack a speed hump or someone's inclined driveway. I've managed to pull this off in my ride.

So if you're seriously into mods and want to research stuff for your car, ebay is a good place to start (after Googling brands of suspension and taking note of who actually caters for your model Celica). If you're still coming up dry on choice, you could always have a look on Yahoo Japan, because they'll sell a heap of stuff on there that was never an option for mods in Australia. Other physical places you might want to browse for ideas are Jap wrecking yards/shops, like Just Jap and Ichiban. They seem to carry a good stock of stuff that was made for Jap modifications but not necessarily Aussie cars.

Food for thought.. now get digging! :P

Thanks for that. But my questions/queries continue! I've searched the web high and low and have not succeeded in finding aftermarket modifications; engine, suspension, etc. for my model. Im in two minds, sell it and save for a modifiable car? Or keep digging??

Well, sentimental value is growing :P Im growing quite attached to Clarice!

I heard that its possible to get extractors/exhaust systems machined for my vehicle. But i want lowered springs, no luck their, yet.

save up for coils then, look into fortune autos, mad comfortable for daily

just do basic suspension mods as mentioned,

sway bars, strut bars, poly bushes etc for now; rsb especially best bang for buck mod imo

Well, sentimental value is growing :P Im growing quite attached to Clarice!

Oh no, he's named it... now there's no going back. :P

RSB (rear swaybar) is probably one of the best mods you can do, so have a look in the Whiteline online catalog and see if they do something for your ride. The rear swaybar upgrade effectively neutralises the understeer that most FWD cars are prone to. Usually they are thicker and come with their own mounts sold as a kit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi new to this forum also

Had a 93 GT Four so the turbo motor will knock your socks off and should not be hard to transfer in.

Sadly I do not have my GT four any more and have had bits and pieces in my garage for past 5 years.

I have lower suspension kit and other stuff

Good Luck

Si93