New Rukus Owner! Question about Keys!

desperaterobots

Hey guys!

Picked up a 2010 Build 2 about a month ago. Veryyyyy happy with it so far!

I have some questions about the smartkeys though...

1) Did you guys recieve normal mechanical keys from your dealer as well as the smartkeys? My used dealer only gave me two smartkey fobs.

2) Do you guys have intermittent issues with your smartkey not being recognised when you touch the door handle? I've been having this trouble, not sure if I need to replace the batteries or not; or if I need to go to a Toyota dealer for help.

3) How often should I expect to replace the batteries in my smartkeys?

Thanks! :D

Also wondering if anyone has any god recommendations for replacing the original toyota audio unit as I think it's kind of ****ty! :P

Hey guys!

Picked up a 2010 Build 2 about a month ago. Veryyyyy happy with it so far!

I have some questions about the smartkeys though...

1) Did you guys recieve normal mechanical keys from your dealer as well as the smartkeys? My used dealer only gave me two smartkey fobs.

2) Do you guys have intermittent issues with your smartkey not being recognised when you touch the door handle? I've been having this trouble, not sure if I need to replace the batteries or not; or if I need to go to a Toyota dealer for help.

3) How often should I expect to replace the batteries in my smartkeys?

Thanks! :D

Also wondering if anyone has any god recommendations for replacing the original toyota audio unit as I think it's kind of ****ty! :P

Hi there

Welcome to the forums :)

Congrats on the purchase of rukus sure you'll love it

Question 1) From the dealership I only ever received 2 smart keys not physical keys as such, but if you havent worked it out yet the portion of the smart key that you can attach to your key chain actually comes out :) if you're looking at the toyota badge on your smart key on the right hand side there is a rubber portion with what looks like a key on it, if you push down on that while pulling out the rubber portion on the bottom of the smart key a physical one will come out :)

Question 2) My car is also a 2010 build 1 and I've recently had to replace the batteries as the smart handles werent working, the hardest part of replacing it will be sourcing the battery but actually replacing it is easy, using the above process to take out the key you'll note that at the end of it is a flat portion and where you've taken out the key there is one hole where the key came from and a slight indent to the side of it, place the flat portion of the actual key into that indent and twist :)

Question 3) Given i drive my car every day i would suggest every 3-4 years, but luckily batteries are fairly cheap (Ebay)

Goodluck!

yeah batteries about 3-4 years as cyrpt said.... if having trouble esp with the drivers door always try to open with your right hand it just seams to work better that way for me anyway... keyfob batteries what ever you do dont go OEM toyota they are about $50 from spare parts and it is just a round flat battery not sure on the number but pop one open and head to ***** smith... or ebay if you have time to wait for them...

oh congrats on the purchasae...

Make sure your smart key isn't next to your phone in your pocket/hand as sometimes this causes interference and won't unlock your car :)

Thanks all! Yeah I looked at the user manual tonight and learned about the physical keys. Feeling stupid now. :P

Would be keen to hear any recommendations on replacing the audio unit! Mine seems to default to playing shuffled tracks from my entire iPod over bluetooth - there's basically no way to select an artist/album/playlist etc. It's a total bummer, and a waste of a huge screen!

its been a few years since ive had my factory head unit in so cant help you with that but in replacing the whole unit fairly simple task.... just make sure you get the toyota bunny ears to cover the wider prats of the unit (slightly bigger then double din)... if you where in VIC i would of came round to help you out.... heres a link to a NSxB post that will show you the way... click the pdf link in post 2 then on the pdf page number 6 http://www.newscionxb.com/131-audio-electronics/7979-removing-radio.html

Make sure your smart key isn't next to your phone in your pocket/hand as sometimes this causes interference and won't unlock your car :)

Yes the only issue i've had when it did not unlock was when my keys snuck behind my phone in my pockets.

Congrats on the purchase.

Thanks all! Yeah I looked at the user manual tonight and learned about the physical keys. Feeling stupid now. :P

Would be keen to hear any recommendations on replacing the audio unit! Mine seems to default to playing shuffled tracks from my entire iPod over bluetooth - there's basically no way to select an artist/album/playlist etc. It's a total bummer, and a waste of a huge screen!

DDX_630_WBT.jpg
image_product01_big.jpg
DDX_630_W_3.jpg
or you can go for the 2014 model
kenwood_ddx635wbt_01.jpg
Edited by sportivo2007

• 9 months later...

Question 1) From the dealership I only ever received 2 smart keys not physical keys as such, but if you havent worked it out yet the portion of the smart key that you can attach to your key chain actually comes out :) if you're looking at the toyota badge on your smart key on the right hand side there is a rubber portion with what looks like a key on it, if you push down on that while pulling out the rubber portion on the bottom of the smart key a physical one will come out :)

I got the key, but where is the key hole in the car?