Road noise 2013 ZR6

2008ZR6

Sorry mate I would have to take off the plastic inner guards to take any useful pics. I stuck it onto the outside footwell area (metal bodywork) which you can easily see one you have the inner guard almost all off, Take the wheel off first to allow easy access.

One sheet is enough to do one side almost perfectly.

• 1 month later...

• 7 months later...
On 19 February 2016 at 4:54 PM, mg85 said:

Sorry mate I would have to take off the plastic inner guards to take any useful pics. I stuck it onto the outside footwell area (metal bodywork) which you can easily see one you have the inner guard almost all off, Take the wheel off first to allow easy access.

One sheet is enough to do one side almost perfectly.

Im going to have a go at this, just want to be sure, you take out the plastic wheel arch stone guard thing and then put the sound deadening sheets on the firewall that can be accessed. Is that right?

Hi Matt,

That's right take off the inner plastic guards in the wheel arch or at least the rear portion of the inners and stick the deadener to the firewall area, it is a lot easier if you remove the wheel as well to allow easy access.

I found if you push the deadener in the middle of the sheet and work it towards the sides it gets it in contact with metal firewall better and you can trim any extra off with a Stanley knife after.

10 hours ago, krigeroz said:

I used this https://www.jaycar.com.au/butyl-based-sound-deadening-material/p/AX3687 from what I know the Butyl based foam stuff is better than just foam alone. One sheet for each wheel arch/firewall works almost perfect.

Edited by mg85

8 hours ago, mg85 said:

I used this https://www.jaycar.com.au/butyl-based-sound-deadening-material/p/AX3687 from what I know the Butyl based foam stuff is better than just foam alone. One sheet for each wheel arch/firewall works almost perfect.

Ok, thank you, good to know that butyl works better...

What I can do is for doors I can use foam and for wheel arches will use butyl.

Edited by krigeroz

• 2 weeks later...

This thread intrigues me.

I don't understand any Aurion having road noise by default. My 2012 has always been quiet as a mouse, and more so after replacing the tired Bridgestone tyres to Michelin Prmiacy's.

The gentleman with the new ATX, not sure what's going on there either ?

Unless the workers at Toyota missed something during manufacture I can't figure it out.

I do know that the 50 series does have the felt/carpet type wheel arch covers at the back and this has been known to make a difference.

I also know that certain tyres can also generate and amplify road noise too.

Not sure adding additional deadener is the real solution. These cars are already sound deadened enough.

I removed the rear wheel arch liners, they are a kind of carpet material similar to the material that lines the boot. There was about half a kilo of dirt trapped above each one and when I hosed them the water came out muddy for ages. No surprise I suppose.

I hosed and scrubbed the metal areas. Most of the metal covered by the liner is just painted, there is a small area near the strut that has factory sound deadening but its less than a quarter of the metal area. I painter Septone Body Deadener over the whole area on both sides and on the underside of the spare wheel while I was there. Used a touch under 2 litres to do that. The stuff is really thick - far thicker than honey so that was only one coat. I wasnt trying to make it thin though. Its drying now so I havent driven it since. 

I will do the front wheel area tomorrow - mainly the firewall behind the plastic wheel arch liner. 

On a side note, the metal heatshild over the mufflers had about a cup of rocks on them which came out when I whacked them a few times.

Pics are before and after

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Did the front, removed whel arch plastic liner, painted sound deadener on exposed metal, there were a lot of leaves and dirt in there behind the plastic. Not a hard job, jacking and wheels off was half the work. The silver painted metal here would be the outside of where the drivers feet go. It was pretty tinny when tapped so hopefully the sound deadener paint will do something good.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by matt36415
add info

On 3 January 2017 at 6:52 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

This thread intrigues me.

I don't understand any Aurion having road noise by default. My 2012 has always been quiet as a mouse, and more so after replacing the tired Bridgestone tyres to Michelin Prmiacy's.

The gentleman with the new ATX, not sure what's going on there either ? On co**** road surfaces, its noisy - I want quiet.

Unless the workers at Toyota missed something during manufacture I can't figure it out.

I do know that the 50 series does have the felt/carpet type wheel arch covers at the back and this has been known to make a difference. They all do. Its pretty thin, 4mm possibly and not backed (probably so it dosent trap water) so its not really a noise stopper. It would be quieter when things hit it like stones though. 

I also know that certain tyres can also generate and amplify road noise too. Yes, I have 235/40/18 Ku39 tyres and Im pretty sure they are noisier than stock, its also lowered which may change things a bit too. I like quiet and I like fat tyres, flat handling and speedy corners. Unfortunately these seem to be largely conflicting goals.

Not sure adding additional deadener is the real solution. These cars are already sound deadened enough.  How do you know? If you have done some extra sound deadening please share your experience. I had time and read many audio and car model forums like this and found quite a few recommending sound deadening paint based on their own experiences of having done the job themselves. I like playing with my car. I am just reporting on what I did and how it changes the car, hoepfully for the better. Possibly someone will be helped like I have been by other peoples posts and photos.

Matt36415 - I would be interested to get some feedback once you have tested it out.  I have spent almost $3500 and still no luck. I have attached some pictures after the first sound deadening. This made no difference. I then had the wheel arches does as well - made about 5% difference.

They are great cars but the road noise is too much. A tech at toyota told me that it is due to the sports suspension - not too sure about this. My first 2008 ZR6 Sportivo was super quiet.

aurion 1.jpg

aurion 2.JPG

aurion 3.JPG

aurion 4.JPG

aurion 5.JPG

aurion 6.JPG

Edited by 2008ZR6

Wow, thats a lot of dynamat and a lot of $$$. Apart from the underbody deadener Ive also put stuff like dynamat under the rear seat and under the carpet from the front edge of the back seat down to the floor. Ive also covered most of the boot with dynamat like stuff and then closed cell foam over it. I tried to cover all of the holes in the metal frame on the boot (on the back of the rear seat). I dont carry a spare tyre so I made a boot shelf from ply and stuck the factory foam  / carpet sheet onto it then turned it over and I have a foam boot tray on top so there is quite a barrier from boot floor to main boot space. 

I probably wont do this... but I found some people filling some spaces with expanding foam. I might do the side 'pockets' of the boot - particularly towards the top front of the boot - a wasted space where the metal is pretty tinny when tapped. 

Parcel shelf - remove, closed cell foam under it and refit. No more rattles and further sound barrier from the boot.

Remove inner door panels, paint body deadener into outter door skin and closed cell foam between metal door and inner plastic panel.

Those last 2 are still to do. Waiting for foam sheets to come. Expanding foam is tempting but could be bad if I mess it up.

I can't believe all the effort and money spent to counter road noise. 

I can appreciate lowering a car and stiffening suspension including wheels'/ tyres can change the whole dynamic of a vehicle and road noise is just a by product of such modifications. Sometimes you can't have both.

Matt36415, if you want "quiet" maybe a modified Aurion isn't for you, I don't know.

How noisy is noisy ? Is it really that bad ? Everyone's interpretation of "noisy" can vary too.

Did you modify the car yourself or did you purchase it this way ?

** If you modified it yourself... How was the road noise in stock form ?

14 hours ago, matt36415 said:

2008ZR6 - in your 2nd pic, of the boot, my car has a metal brace shaped like an upside down 'V'. It looke like yours dosent have that. - or is the centre trim still there?

HI Matt,

I can't see it in mine. I know the 2008 one did. Which model and year is yours?

13 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Matt & 2008ZR6

Is it tyre noise or wind noise that you are concerned about the most?

Hi - it is the road / tyre noise. I have had a 2008 ZR6 and a 2012 Prodigy - both super quiet. Have tried 3 different sets / types of tyres - but not much luck. Have driven a few 2013 / 2014 ZR6s and they are noisy as well. Drove the latest Holden SV6 recently and it was super quiet as well.

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I can't believe all the effort and money spent to counter road noise. 

I can appreciate lowering a car and stiffening suspension including wheels'/ tyres can change the whole dynamic of a vehicle and road noise is just a by product of such modifications. Sometimes you can't have both.

Matt36415, if you want "quiet" maybe a modified Aurion isn't for you, I don't know.

How noisy is noisy ? Is it really that bad ? Everyone's interpretation of "noisy" can vary too.

Did you modify the car yourself or did you purchase it this way ?

** If you modified it yourself... How was the road noise in stock form ?

Hi Tony, I spend about 6 hours a day on the road and I really like the ZR6 - except for the road noise, it is excessive. When I talk to my customers via the bluetooth, they can hardly hear me due to the noise. Mine is a stock standard - not lowered or any other changes except for the sound deadening.

13 minutes ago, 2008ZR6 said:

Hi Tony, I spend about 6 hours a day on the road and I really like the ZR6 - except for the road noise, it is excessive. When I talk to my customers via the bluetooth, they can hardly hear me due to the noise. Mine is a stock standard - not lowered or any other changes except for the sound deadening.

Wow. That's hard to believe, although I don't doubt what you're saying.

Have you spoken to Toyota about the issue ?

Maybe it's something inherent on cars Post 2012 ??

How can this be though ? The cars are virtually all the same and built in the same manner with identical parts (model specific of course).

1 minute ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Wow. That's hard to believe, although I don't doubt what you're saying.

Have you spoken to Toyota about the issue ?

Maybe it's something inherent on cars Post 2012 ??

How can this be though ? The cars are virtually all the same and built in the same manner with identical parts (model specific of course).

I talked to a senior tech at my local Toyota and he said that it is due to the sports suspension. He said that even in the new Camry's with the optional sports suspension  upgrade, the noise is there.