ECU LOCATION ST204 CELICA SX ??? Need to find "ECU Reprogramming button" to sync remote control central locking

jencelica96

Hello,

I just purchased a 1996 Celica sx ST204.

I have found reprogramming instructions to link/sync remote locking FOB with car.

Instructions say that I must find "ECU reprogramming button" . Button should be indented ie. need a pen or paper clip to press button in for 3-seconds.

Instructions say ECU should be located either under 1 of front seats, in boot, or under dashboard driver side. I have checked thoroughly under seats and in boot and can't find ECU button :( .

I have checked around and under driver side dash and found something that opens up and has fuses (changes CIG/radio fuse successfully) . The only other possible location I can find is: under the steering wheel, there is a rectangular panel which seems to be removable. (I tried to softly pry open with screw driver, but do not want to force it and break it, especially if ECU is not even there)

I am hoping, PLEASE, DOES ANYBODY KNOW LOCATION OF "ECU REPROGRAMMING BUTTON" 1996 CELICA SX ST204 ????

Thank you for reading (and hopefully helping) :)

I think it might be the wireless door lock ECU you are after. I can check again tomorrow when the beer wears off :) :)

I thought there was only 1 ECU unit, rather than a separate ECU for wireless door lock control. Thanks for your help, maybe better when beers wear off though :D . I can see above diagram it seems to be for 1 & 2 generation celica. My celica is 96 (6th generation). I removed radio before and I am pretty sure that where this diagram says ECU located, is where amplifier sits.

Thanks very much for trying to help :)

Hi Jen,

I looked it up again. That picture is for a ST204 Celica.

There is the Engine ECU, Immobiliser ECU and central locking ECU ( There will be a couple more in there too)

I think what you have is the Alpine Gen1 system. Give this a go..

post-2320-0-02692000-1413807108_thumb.pn

post-2320-0-74467600-1413807109_thumb.pn

post-2320-0-45174500-1413807111_thumb.pn

post-2320-0-06879000-1413807113.png

post-2320-0-19664200-1413807114.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A while ago for another forum member I tried to get replacement remotes or at least the cases for them, but they haven't been made in such a long time.

I think you will be better off wiring in a new aftermarket system in place on the factory one. At least then you will be getting new remotes, which will also be more secure as they will/ should be a rolling code instead of fixed.

• Like 1

No sorry, I don't do much with aftermarket stuff so I can't recommend what would be good.

best bet would be to go somewhere that installs alarms and central locking and see what they recommend for your needs.

• 4 years later...

I have a 1999 ST204, I found the ecu with the antenna but there is no button. I found somewhere that said it is an Alpine gen 2, do you happen to have instructions for this model?

• 5 months later...

I found the information I was looking for, the 97-99 ST204 Celica uses the same Alpine alarm used by the BMW E36 so I tried the instructions for that and it worked with an extra step, so if anybody else needs this info here it is

My remote is P/N 08191-00900

1. Close all doors, trunk, and hood.
2. The security system must be in "disarm" mode. The key must be removed from the ignition key slot.

Enter Code-Learning Mode
3. Open the trunk and leave it open.
4. Open the driver's door and sit in the driver's seat.
5. Close the driver's door.
6. Cycle the ignition switch five times between the "off" position and position 2 (ignition "ON", all dash warning lamps will illuminate). The red status LED will illuminate continuously, and the siren will "chirp" once, to indicate that the code-learning mode has been initiated.

DO NOT START THE ENGINE

The ignition switch cycling in step #6 must be performed within ten seconds.

The sequence in steps #1-6 must be performed within 45 seconds.

Registering/Delete ID Code(s)
7. Open driver's door, (remain seated in driver's seat)
8. Close driver's door.
  An extra step is required here for the Celica- Cycle the key once more
9. Press and release any button on the remote you wish to register into the system. The status LED will shut off momentarily to indicate that one ID code has been registered.
10. Repeat steps 7 through 9 to register the remaining three ID codes.

Exiting Code-Learning Mode
11. Open driver's door, and exit from vehicle, leaving the door opened.
12. Close trunk.
13. Close driver's door. The LED will turn off and the siren will "chirp" twice.
14. The initialization procedure is now completed, test all remotes to confirm operation

Edited by RC712