new rotors and brake pads

the old rotors were worn and had a reasonable lip.

Do you mean the ~1mm lip formed at the periphery of the rotor, which is not worn by the pad? But is it obvious to conlude when the rotor is worn?

My rear left brake was locking occassionaly during driving. I reported this to Toyota and they will change the rear rotors because "they did not look OK". However, I also have a similar situation with lips at the front rotors! My car has ~35.000 km and the pads are still OK.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a friggin idiot, i'm measuring thickness and not diameter then i added a zero. It was too late last night. I will measure the diameter tnite

Edited by ZAV

I did some inspection of the rotors' wear myself : The apparent problem is the unequal wear of two rear brake rotors: the right is slightly worn but the left is worn a lot, similarly to the front ones!

Now I understand why they are going to work only on the rear ones.

This is however very scary! I thought that the handbrake was giving me problems but it was the normal rear brake!

wtf my rear rotors are only like 100mm thick, my front rotors are right around 270 something mm. Was there a change for the 05 model. I'm gonna double check when there is more light, but from what i read they are half the size of the others.

shouldn't the rear rotor be 9mm thick?

the old rotors were worn and had a reasonable lip.

Do you mean the ~1mm lip formed at the periphery of the rotor, which is not worn by the pad? But is it obvious to conlude when the rotor is worn?

My rear left brake was locking occassionaly during driving. I reported this to Toyota and they will change the rear rotors because "they did not look OK". However, I also have a similar situation with lips at the front rotors! My car has ~35.000 km and the pads are still OK.

IS your car an SA model? ...i had to replace the front pads because there was only arounds 2-3mm left! and that was at 30,000km :angry: My car is still under warranty and the suspension ppls noticed that my front right rotor was lipped as well - reckon i'll get the toyota gurus to machine my disc while it's at service :P

Question: DBA slotted rotors - how much, are they good? are there any alternatives? *i've used search :lol: - no avail :( *

:angry: Toyota won't machine my rotors under waranty! :angry: they say it's wear and tear? !!! even though the warranty says it's covered for 50,000km and i've only done 30,000km? ...erm. help please?

Toyota machine disc for: $110

KMART: $56

Ultra Tune: $75

<_< this is sus...help is much appreciated, thanks

ELCHEAPO is starting to lose it's EL CHEAPO-NESS :(

My car is still under warranty and the suspension ppls noticed that my front right rotor was lipped as well -

The lip is obviously normal to exist. I understand the step height of the lip as an indication for the amount of wear. However, I do not know what is the specified value of step height (2.5mm?) for a rotor that needs replacement.

Why do you need machining to eliminate the lip? The pad is not touching there.

Concerning my case, the rotors, pads and handbrake "pads"(?) were replaced under warantee because of the wheel blocking problems. Apparently, the handbrake was considered responsible. The rotors were also very rusted everywhere.

Edited by CTS03

:blink: Your disc surface should be all flat to maximise the friction surface area. If you have any sort of lip or distortion, you have less friction area and less braking power.

<_< she squeals like no tomrrow!!! :( ... there is either soft braking or HARD braking...no inbetween - and soft i VERY VERY soft

Getting car serviced at KMART doncaster for $130 !!! hahaha, doesn't void warranty - B) as opposed to the 250 they were gonna sting me at toyota , will get my discs machined there - very interested in slotted rotors - got quoted 400 for dba rotors + bendix pad (fronts) - worth it? ...hmm, trade off for not getting fog lights?

go the upgrade on the brakes over the foggies ..

at least you get performance improvement .. rather than just asthetic ...

;) will do...thinking about colour coding foggy covers, as i'm getting a rear spoiler installed next month... :rolleyes: just getting figures and stuff...GIVE ME FIGURES!!! pls.. :P did u end up getting ur stain out?

;) will do...thinking about colour coding foggy covers, as i'm getting a rear spoiler installed next month... :rolleyes: just getting figures and stuff...GIVE ME FIGURES!!! pls.. :P did u end up getting ur stain out?

nope ... its starting to fade though .... and getting the throw overs from the group buy ...

new rule !!

I have banned food and drink consumption in my car at all times ... *drink may be consumed at drivers disgression.

got quoted 400 for dba rotors + bendix pad (fronts) - worth it?

damn, is it only $400 for rotors and pads? I might have to invest then... Or is it just front rotors and pads?

I really want to upgrade the brakes but I thought it was going to cost me alot more (granted I have been looking at calipers too)

damn, is it only $400 for rotors and pads? I might have to invest then... Or is it just front rotors and pads?

I really want to upgrade the brakes but I thought it was going to cost me alot more (granted I have been looking at calipers too)

JUST front rotors and pads - the rotors quoted were slotted RDA's btw - it's situated in Keysboruough, the cost is including labour B) comments on RDA's? Do slotted rotors really wear out brake pads quicker? ...i just want brakes that won't warp on me or squel like no tomoroow - and slotted on a 'roolla doesn't look too bad either :rolleyes: 1800 880 155 quote was from Scott at RDA

nope ... its starting to fade though .... and getting the throw overs from the group buy ...

new rule !!

I have banned food and drink consumption in my car at all times ... *drink may be consumed at drivers disgression.

haha........yea i banned food in my car......drink is ok..if they ask me first and if i trust them not to spill....

Your disc surface should be all flat to maximise the friction surface area. If you have any sort of lip or distortion, you have less friction area and less braking power.

Perhaps I misunderstand something?

I understand that you call lip the bright narrow circle (~1mm wide?) at the periphery of the rotor (brake disk) in the image posted by kcorro. Isn't normal that the pads do not cover this very narrow area, so it is not worn and a lip is formed? And a similar lip is formed at the other (internal) end of the pad.

I guess there might be a problem if the pad is not stable in position and shifts slightly over the lip(s) (e.g. after a pad replacement)!

Edited by CTS03

whats a good pad with minimal brake dust ?

no such thing, if you want performance you get dust, its almost a proportional thing too, somthing has to give its either rotor or the pads or alittle of both you just have to decide what you want to replace the most of how much more stopping power you really want.

JUST front rotors and pads - the rotors quoted were slotted RDA's btw - it's situated in Keysboruough, the cost is including labour B) comments on RDA's? Do slotted rotors really wear out brake pads quicker? ...i just want brakes that won't warp on me or squel like no tomoroow - and slotted on a 'roolla doesn't look too bad either :rolleyes: 1800 880 155 quote was from Scott at RDA

slotted RDAs took A LOT of abuse. i think they are still alive, the last time i heard...

slotted RDAs took A LOT of abuse. i think they are still alive, the last time i heard...

i would have no hesitation in buying another set when these ones are done.

REcommended for SA model 'Rollas (non stivos)

RDA front slotted fitted

front brake pads EBC REG 90

Rear Brake Pads EBC REG90

*for everyday driving, and an occasionaly spirited touge run (haha i.e. ELtham)

@ total of just under 500 :)

Edited by RME1