ZRE adr compliant sports exhaust.. ??

ganyb

Must be below 83db. Custom headers have to be made. I myself have a zre182 and have done research. Custom headers and full pipes with high flow cat and cai or Sri won't give enough gain for you to feel any power difference. Unless you turbo or cams and tune. I got quoted, 2 1/4 mild steel high flow cat and custom headers for 1500.

• Like 1

There is a trd exhaust for the zre152 but requires the tiniest amount of modification. But a rear bar/diffuser is needed to fit it because it is central tip. I hope this info helps.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where you have gotten your research information from, but the TRD exhaust for the ZRE152 fits onto the standard ZRE182 Australian rear end without any modification required. The only thing it does is slightly twist the hanger rubber by a few degrees as the hanger bracket is at a slightly different angle to the stock OEM exhaust.

There is no TRD exhaust made for the ZRE182. There is, however, a TRD exhaust made for the Japanese ZRE186 which won't fit the Australian ZRE182 at all despite these models having much the same basic appearance. The reason is that it is designed for the independent rear end, not the semi-independent rear end of the Australian car where the torsion beam sits exactly where the exhaust would go. And yes, that ZRE186 exhaust does require the diffuser under the bumper.

TRD US also now make an exhaust for the US Corolla which may possibly fit the Australian sedan version, since they appear to be the same car apart from the obvious US / Australian differences (though the exhaust system is on the same side for both).

I'll have to disagree with your statement that it does not make any noticeable difference to performance as well. After I fitted mine the difference was noticeable as I have eluded to in my thread on the exhaust. It might not be so much performance (and without a dyno test I couldn't make such a claim either), but it definitely does what it says on the tin (i.e. it is a high response exhaust and that is exactly what it does - improves throttle response noticeably). Buying that TRD exhaust was the best thing I have doen for my car, since it now feels much more like it has a mechanical throttle linkage instead of an electronic one (this being one of my biggest issue with modern cars).

But if you look up dyno tests of other TRD axleback exhausts on the net, you will see that they all deliver noticeable gains on the dyno. Not big ones of course, but they are there. As I say though, a dyno cannot measure throttle response - only torque and RPM (and thus calculates power from that).

As for ADR compliance, strictly speaking that requires two tests - a stationery one and a drive-by one. For cars that are already ADR complaint and in service, the stationery one is what gets tested. The 83 dBA limit is correct for the stationery test of the ZRE182 manual transmission Corolla hatchback, being the (Toyota supplied to the Government) 78 dBA figure plus the 5 dBA allowance under the EPA regulations. I measured mine at 82.7 dBA which rounds down under the test procedures to 82 dBA. This 82 dBA limit is also the standard to which Japanese mufflers have to be built. The TRD mufflers all have a plate on them showing they meet the standard. This in itself, however, has nothing to do with Australian rules and if a car, for example, has a noise imprint in the Green Vehicle Guide of 77 dB or less, then fitting an 82 dBA muffler or louder is going to be illegal strictly speaking.

• Like 1