Sticky Dashboard?

Deb Moran

Hi, I just bought an Aurion 2006 about 2 months ago and yes mine is sticky as well, thought it was really odd until I found this link.  Would love to know the outcome?

Edited by Aniejune

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/22/2016 at 10:54 AM, GDude said:

Just had my melting dash replaced...it makes a big difference!

Hi Jet, what did you do to have your dash replaced, as mine is sticky and the car smells every time I get into it? Thanks :)

Hi there, if you join the Facebook group the members can give you all the advice you need to get your dash replaced. But basically, you call a Toyota dealership, report that you have a melting dash and that you'd like it replaced as an out of warranty claim. You then arrange to bring the car so they can inspect the car, take photos, etc. you then wait to hear back from them.  If approved, you will need to take the car back to get the dashboard replaced. 

Afternoon...

Ok, so I've just walked past someone's SX6 Sportivo and I'm not kidding, it's one of the worse cases of "dash melt" I've ever seen. There are literally huge pools of liquid wax all over the dashboard and the centre of the dash seems to have collapsed inward with big gouges all over the place. It looks bloody awful. The everyday Aurion and Camry drivers need to be aware that they don't have to put up with this very obvious and very dangerous design fault, if their dash is disintegrating they need to know that Toyota will replace it for free. I've just spoken to the lady driver of this Aurion and she's over the moon that she won't be out of pocket to have it fixed. It's that bad I reckon Toyota will do it straight away.

• Like 1

I started the Facebook page.  Please feel free to join as there are close to 300 members now, and Toyota are replacing dashboards.  I have read that the car has to be under 10 years old, but I do not know this to be true.   Here is the page.  You will be welcome, however you will be removed if you come on to slander or bag out TMCA.   Otherwise, all members are keen to help, and there is a list of places where the dash has been replaced.  I was told that mine had a one year warranty on the new part, and the work done was excellent.   We also have members with melting dashboards on Mazda cars on this page now.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/803730803039477/?fref=ts   Cheers, Helen

• Like 3

On 08/04/2016 at 7:31 PM, HelenC said:

I started the Facebook page.  Please feel free to join as there are close to 300 members now, and Toyota are replacing dashboards.  I have read that the car has to be under 10 years old, but I do not know this to be true.   Here is the page.  You will be welcome, however you will be removed if you come on to slander or bag out TMCA.   Otherwise, all members are keen to help, and there is a list of places where the dash has been replaced.  I was told that mine had a one year warranty on the new part, and the work done was excellent.   We also have members with melting dashboards on Mazda cars on this page now.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/803730803039477/?fref=ts   Cheers, Helen

Hi Helen

I recently bought a 2007 Aurion Sportivo SX6 and had some some engine issues which my local Toyota dealership fixed. The service manager mentioned the sticky dash, which I thought was some adhesive from the dash mat. He mentioned that they may be able to have it replaced and said he would advise me.

So from that conversation I decided to do some research and discovered this post.I have asked to join the FB group.

Regards
Allan

• Like 1

I'm in. I have a 2007 camry altise. Dashboard is a sticky mess.  What is this going to do to our resale value. Any class action or media stuff count me in.

Edited by Mindy64

25 minutes ago, Mindy64 said:

Any class action or media stuff count me in.

There is no class action. Just go and see your dealer to get the issue sorted. Some dealers can make the experience more painful than others.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys and girls, had mine replaced a little while ago, seems like it's warping and going out of shape...

it is good to not have the melting problem though.

toyota declined my first attempt, but the second attempt I seen someone else and I succeeded. Just make it clear that you know other people have had there's replaced and you know it's now a recall and you won't go away until it's replaced.

Hello Geoff.  There should be a one year warranty on the part. I was told that when mine was replaced.  I would go straight back if it is warping.   Cheers, Helen

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

yay! I went to Toyota yesterday with this issue. The gent promptly took photos of my dash and said that its the worst one he has seen so far. Long story short they have ordered my new dash from Japan and will call to book in a time to replace it. Thanks to the help from people on this page and the Facebook page.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i would update this thread, was in buying some parts at my local dealership and mentioned my sticky dash to the parts department. Who informed me there has been a  bulletin been released by toyota and as long as your vin number matches any aurion in the last 10 years it gets replaced free, getting mine done in a few weeks when it arrives.

Im so happy to get rid of my sticky dash and have a non-defective one :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just phoned Cairns Toyota and the lady was nice, asked me for registration number to look up vin. If my car is in the allocated batch they will have a look for free.

I expect some resistance as I have only owned the car for 1 day, but what the heck! It's still their problem.

Will let you all know how I get on.

P.S Anyone have a copy or link for the bulletin mentioned above by Roadrunner?

That was easy. They inspected it whilst car was in to have headlight washer repaired. No hassles. Parts on order, covered under warranty he said. Considering the car is 9 years 118,000 km old, I expected some hassles. To Toyotas credit they are being fantastic. 

Glad it has been sorted as it should have been, I also had a recall for the door switch issue, went in too book it in and was sorted out then and there just had a cuppa,relaxed and done..

KAA

• 2 months later...

Finally got my Dash replaced by Morley Galleria Toyota . Dropped the car off about 3 weeks ago at 8am and they rang at 12:30 to let me know they didn't have the dash , "we'll give you a call when we have it ". Took it in yesterday and they replaced the dash . Only thing is now my aircon and stereo are not working and are saying that they were not working to start with . The stereo is constantly on even when the keys are out so I'd have to disconnect the battery every night which I did do last night so I could take it in today . So very ****** off , but I guess it's their word against mine .

I posted this on the Sticky Dashboard facebook page as well . I rang head office at 2pm WA time but apparently Toyota are closed so I'll try again tomorrow .

The cars nearly 10 years old and the radio is probably nearly 8 as It's a chinese DVD/NAV computer that i installed myself . I realise **** happens but having the guy stand n front of me and accuse me of being some sort of scam artist because my radio was non functioning when I took it in really steams me . The Aircon already had a problem where it wouldn't turn off except if the fan was turned off but it worked fine otherwise . In fact it was still working when I left the dealership yesterday . It stopped working after I disconnected the battery because the radio screen would not go off , and now it's as dead as a doornail . The fan comes on but no cooling . Maybe that's not their fault as it was still working when I left the dealership , I can take that one on the chin despite being a huge coincidence .

I'll take a sticky dash over no aircon or radio anyday .

• 2 months later...

WIfe took her 2008 Aurion in for service, and the Toyota guys advised her it would be replaced.

She didnt even have to bring it up with them, they were on the front foot.

All replaced at no charge.

Great Service.

2 hours ago, Madfairlane said:

WIfe took her 2008 Aurion in for service, and the Toyota guys advised her it would be replaced.

She didnt even have to bring it up with them, they were on the front foot.

All replaced at no charge.

Great Service.

Which dealer?

15 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Which dealer?

Browns Plains Toyota - QLD

edit: We've owned the car from new though, so not sure if that made any difference...

Edited by Madfairlane

• 2 weeks later...

dammit, I asked them for a dash replacement 2 years ago and they wouldnt take ownership of the sticky dash issue. Now ive just found out they are taking them in but needs to be WITHIN 10 years?. I have a 2007 Aurion Zr6, do you think they'll do it for me? Will be calling up tomorrow.

Hi James.   They go by the vin number.  Take the car straight in.   Do you have a paper trail from your attempt two years ago?  Otherwise, let's hope it is not ten years old yet, but they are starting to refuse them at that age.  Join the Facebook group, and you will find dealers in your area who have replaced.  Cheers!

Thanks for the reply Helen, unfortunately i dont have any record of the conversation discussing the dash. Thanks for the advice and i shall join the group to see if it can provide any sort of further assistance. 

*EDIT: Upon further looking at old vehicle records i have found a service statement from Toyota saying the production date of my vehicle was 01/08/07, if anything i guess its somewhat promising but wont know fully until speaking in person.

Edited by James Ella
Added info.