Sticky Dashboard?

Deb Moran

11 hours ago, Yogesh Shivaprasad said:

Hi,

Is there a solution from Toyota to replace free of cost or is everyone just adding a $10 mat to cover it up? Had my dash melt this afternoon. 

Free of cost ? That ship has sailed unfortunately. Just do the dash mat thing.

• Like 1

My 2009 Aurion I think has had its dash replaced by its previous owner, I wasn't sure at first, but the replacement fit isn't perfect..it dosent look like machine done..no stickynes so far as yet. But if it does start to melt, I will replace it at cost if need be, I couldn't stand that on my car..

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling

1 hour ago, Bigmike62 said:

My 2009 Aurion I think has had its dash replaced by its previous owner, I wasn't sure at first, but the replacement fit isn't perfect..it dosent look like machine done..no stickynes so far as yet. But if it does start to melt, I will replace it at cost if need be, I couldn't stand that on my car..

Mine is the same, but it was done for free and is better than a melting dash... Even though Toyota here really had no obligation to do so, so I can't complain 🙂 

• Like 1

Mine is a 2011 aurion, looks like registered November that year. 

Dash has been good, & I thought it was gonna stay that way, up until 7 days ago, even though the car always has lived outdoors, I had it parked at a new residence for a couple hours & the sun seemed to find the perfect angle to fry the front interior of the car. After burning myself on the leather seats, I noticed the dash was liquidfied on the front edges & has been that way since, even when parked in the shade. 

Took the car into Toyota, and a bunch of photos were taken of every part of the car, and the bloke commented that he was impressed with the condition of the paint. From what I gather from all this is, if u don't take care of the car, or it has lived in extreme conditions, this could be a reason for them to knock back the claim. I apparently have to come up with proof of ownership which is a bit confusing as rego slip doesn't provide that

IMG-20210315-144453.jpg

Edited by Metal_Head

9 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

From what I gather from all this is, if u don't take care of the car, or it has lived in extreme conditions, this could be a reason for them to knock back the claim.

If that is what they base their reason for approving a claim then I'm staggered. The dash board should not melt regardless of condition of the vehicle. It was designed for outdoor use lol, not to park in in your living room.

So are you saying there is consideration to have yours replaced ? I was under the impression this had wrapped up already.

Hmm same comment as Tony, they base replacing a dash if the paint, seats and floor mats are good?.wow

I also assumed the dash melt issue was over, so if they do allow it then well done, proof of ownership? surely if it is in your name on registration and insurance papers that is proof. otherwise how else do you prove you are the owner, sounds weird

Good Luck and let us know how things go 

KAA

17 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

So are you saying there is consideration to have yours replaced ? I was under the impression this had wrapped up already.

I understand that the claim period is limited to 10 years from the manufacture date. However if there was a previous record about the condition of the dash being reported to/by a dealership then Toyota Australia may favourably consider a claim.

• 1 month later...

Got a phone call yesterday saying the claim was approved & booked a date. 

.... Then received another call few hours later telling me the replacement dashes are obsolete and they can't help me. At all. 😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠

5 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

.... Then received another call few hours later telling me the replacement dashes are obsolete and they can't help me. At all. 😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠

The departments don't even talk to each other. That is very disappointing Adam.

With the fragility of those dashboards, I'd be inclined to cover it with a dash protector anyway. You just need to keep the direct sunlight off it I think. Not sure about heat though. I have a dash protector in my 50, not that the dash is an issue for these cars, but I do prefer having it shielded with the addition of a windscreen shade.

Yours doesn't look too bad anyway compared to others, so you may just get away with it. I'd even go as far as searching a clean one out from a wrecker. Chances are you could get one that has already been replaced.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, campbeam said:

Something that I do is to leave the windows down a little bit. I am hoping that this will help to dissipate some of the heat build up in the cabin.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:45 PM, campbeam said:

I previously located this fix advertised on the internet but have not purchased it. 

https://stickydashfix.com/ 

I also have a dash protector mat fitted on my Aurion.

I despise protectors in general, bonnet, window dash etc. I've never used them and never had an issue apart from this aurion dash, and one in a 1980 commodore 😂

He mentioned there was one from another dealer in another city/state but basically told me they won't help

1 hour ago, Metal_Head said:

I despise protectors in general, bonnet, window dash etc.

I tend to agree mostly, but a dash protector is the only thing I would consider because of our harsh climate. Summers are brutal and direct sunlight (UV) is very damaging if you don't take preventative measures to protect certain bits.

Bonnet protectors and the like are pretty much obsolete with the advent of plastic film protection (PPF) and the higher end products have a self healing capability when struck with stones. Great to have but can be pricey to install.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I tend to agree mostly, but a dash protector is the only thing I would consider because of our harsh climate. Summers are brutal and direct sunlight (UV) is very damaging if you don't take preventative measures to protect certain bits.

Bonnet protectors and the like are pretty much obsolete with the advent of plastic film protection (PPF) and the higher end products have a self healing capability when struck with stones. Great to have but can be pricey to install.

Haha, I got a bonnet protector just because I like the way it looks on the Aurion... 😁

18 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

I think what is happening is... the dashes they are using as replacements are the same ones that eventually melt, and with covid and what not, they haven't found a new supplier for the revised dashes that don't melt. So probably just using up the old ones they have. And then..... 

Edited by nzzr6

• 4 weeks later...

Had my Aurion Presara dashboard replaced yesterday at a cost of $800 at Hinterland Toyota Gold Coast. Toyota paid half of the cost of the part. 

Bit expensive but the new dash look great.

23 minutes ago, *** said:

Had my Aurion Presara dashboard replaced yesterday at a cost of $800 at Hinterland Toyota Gold Coast. Toyota paid half of the cost of the part. 

Bit expensive but the new dash look great.

So they still have dash pads in stock ?? I was under the impression they were out of stock and obsolete. Toyota shouldn't really have charged you the customer. They should bill the manufacturer. After all it was their blunder that initiated this class action. 

I wonder if the "new dash" is a new formula dash or NOS dash from the same problematic era ?? I'd be keeping it out of the sun as much as possible if it's a N.O.S item.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

After being told 2 months ago there's no stock left to replace the dash in the last of the remaining 40series I received a very pleasant call today 😁

Toyota will manufacture a new dash using materials from "a later series aurion", so I'm booked in for the end of the month 🎉🎉🎉

I do have a question though, how much is actually removed and replaced? I ask because I hav a few random wires scattered around at the bottom, underneath the dash for footwell lights/dash cam etc etc, so if they have to be removed then I'd rather do these myself in preparation

Edited by Metal_Head
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

Toyota will manufacture a new dash using materials from "a later series aurion", so I'm booked in for the end of the month 🎉🎉🎉

That's good to hear. So it seems that Toyota's mantra of "kaizen" is still holding true. Good on Toyota for putting the interest of the customer first. Practically every other company will tell you to go jump.

Clean up your wiring yourself so they don't mistakenly cross wires. 

It all started with me begging for a free dashmat since they couldn't do the dash, then to hear from them a couple months later with this news, I am over the moon 🎉..... And at the same time not looking forward to removing wires that i have ran thru the dash.... Tweeters, dash cam, footwell lights, hud, reverse cam, power seats etc etc.... 🤪😳

Edited by Metal_Head
  • Like 1

Am starting to see more reports of people being turned down for free dash replacements now though. Think the goodwill period is over 

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, Metal_Head said:

After being told 2 months ago there's no stock left to replace the dash in the last of the remaining 40series I received a very pleasant call today 😁

I do have a question though, how much is actually removed and replaced? I ask because I hav a few random wires scattered around at the bottom, underneath the dash for footwell lights/dash cam etc etc, so if they have to be removed then I'd rather do these myself in preparation

Supposedly about $1k labour alone when I was in the FB group that organised the dash replacement, from memory they were threatening class action or something. Not sure if the Prado owners got theirs replaced. I know other manufacturers also has similar issues such as Honda Accorda and Mazda (forgot which series).

Mine was replaced free as expected the dash colour is slightly off but who cares right, as long it doesn't melt.