Reset ECU and program new master key

rbadis

Hi Guys,

I have a 2007 Tarago and while changing the battery for my remote key, I

realised that I lost the transponder chip Damnnn!!

Now still got the key but the car won't start, so I guess I'll be looking to

program a new master key (transponder), I checked with some locksmiths and gave

a quote around $700, and Toyota told me that they can't do it as they don't

have the code, and advised me to Reset (flash) the immobiliser computer box or

I think it called ECU, I'm a computer programmer so I'm guessing that if any

know how to do it I can manage, so does anyone knows how to reset and program a

new master key, it will be really appreciated.

Thanks Guys

There is a bit more to it than just knowing how to reset it, you have to have the correct file to flash the ECU with with. You will also need a replacement transponder chip for your key. You will also have to strip a lot of the dash to get to the immobiliser box.

These can be reset diagnostically ( Which is how I do it) which save a lot of time pulling things apart.

Thanks Brendan,

Getting a new transponder shouldn't be a problem, A locksmith told me that for my tarago normally the immobiliser box should be a silver box located near the glove box!? by my problem is know how to flash it and the steps to program the new transponder.

Thanks

If he told you that he is either purposely trying to steer you in the wrong direction or doesn't know what he is talking about. If it right behind the dash which needs to be stripped back, not really a fun job ( Especially when it can be done by OBD)

Even if you did pull it all apart you would have to have the gear to read chip to flash it, and the reset files aren't something that people like to share. Really, with the amount of time it will take to get it out, work out what needs to be done and get the correct gear the $700 is a better option.

By the way, is that true that transponder for my 2007 tarago should be a very small chip that should be located in a small rectangle in the remote key near the doors remote control!?

because I'm really sure that I lost the chip! as I don't remember that I dropped anything when changing the battery? I still have the remote that can open and close the doors with it but I've been told that transponder is separate from the remote doors!

Thanks

Yes, the chip is separate to the remote. IF you look on the side of the remote module there will be a small empty spot where the chip used to be, this will be on the bottom of the remote on one side. The chip is around the size of your small finger nail. If you would like some pictures I can take some for you. A picture of the chip might even help you find it if you know what to look for.

http://www.teoc.ws/community/topic/33207-reprogram-estima-remote/page-3

I think the link takes you to diagram of where transponders are located. As well, a new key can be found (for MUCH cheaper than $700) here (if you can find out your Mhz frequency.

http://www.wholesalecarkeys.net/side-1-button-remote-key-for-toyota-cadina-estima-harrier-28050-26010-30050.html

as well, other forums (an English one I think) have details of reprogramming the key through opening/shutting doors etc.

FOR 2002+

Procedure

1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.

2. Insert master key into the ignition cylinder.

3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF 5 times.

4. Open and close the driver side door 6 times.

5. Remove the master key and insert the new duplicate key.

6. DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON

7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds.

Credits to:

eBay.co.uk Guides - Toyota Key Keyfob Programming Reprogramming
Hope this info is of some help, I feel for you mate.

The immobiliser box on his car is in a a different spot to your link, has is behind the dash. The programming you posted is also only useful if you have a working master key otherwise the immobiliser needs to be replaced or reset. The key blank itself will only set you back $40 but is pointless without the master key.

Apologies at inaccurate information .I will take more care offering such advice in the future. It is difficult enough trying to sort these issues. Hope you have some luck rbadis.

Edited by broton

Woo hooo, guess what guys I just got the car fixed and cost me only $180.

A Chinese guy made look so easy and it was! the guys is a genius, he didn't

need to take the dashboard or anything out, he had a tool that connected it

somewhere beneath the steering wheel, that flashed and reprogrammed a new master

key, its took him around 3 or 4 mins.

When I asked him about the tool he used, he told me that he got it from

china, I think having such devise for our Aussies locksmith would make live

much easier and cheaper.

Cheers Guys

As one of the Aussie Locksmiths there is no way in hell I would be plugging those type of ECU resetters into a customers car. The problem is that if you plug them into a car that is not supported or there are any issues with the car you can kill it. They don't check to see that they are flashing the correct module they just start writing to it. The gear that I use for it which cost thousands, does it safely with minimal risk, and if for some reason it does go wrong that is what my insurance is for. Did the Chinese guy have insurance to cover ALL the costs if it went wrong?

Don't know if he does but he is a certified locksmith and he gave me his

business card if I need him in the future!

So now the car has started and running OK, did I pass the critical phase? Should

I worry about any complications in the future!?

Yes I did, I think the gear he user looks like one of those that I saw in eBay

for just under $1000 which different plugs that suites specific type of car,

does those devices just write the new code to the ECU or flashes then program

the transponder? just wondering would the difference between this Chinese

locksmith’s devise and more complex and expensive devices!?

Thanks Brendan.

• 2 months later...

These tools only unlock the security of the car and tell it to marry a new key no matter what ! A good tools even from China (not a $50) tool, as stated $1000 ish is fine - I know several dealers who actually use these instead of factory ones as they save them heaps of time !

My mate has ones for about $3000 purchased in australia but is a Chinese one but allows a lot of changes.

Remember JDM estima is not OBD II but JOBD !