help HID lights H11

Sean K

Hey guys. so i bough some HID lights and i am having some trouble installing them. there are 2 cables red and black and i have no idea where to put them

post-36340-0-45529200-1427773517.png

post-36340-0-35008700-1427773534_thumb.j

The red one is the live wire to the battery and the black one is the earth wire. Are these lights, driving lights, or actual headlights ?? If they are headlights there is a special a special way in which they are installed and best left to an Auto Electrician. If they are additional driving lights then wire the red one to the headlights and then earth both black ones to some suitable place .

I did an HID conversion on my 4x4 and ended up with multitude of problems, which required the help of an auto sparky who fixed the problem. Hope that helps.

Hey Sean,

There easy as to install, I wouldnt recommend connecting the red to the positive of the battery as said previously, as they will be permanently connected and your battery wont last very long haha. Ive attached a photo below, the prongs simply sit in the plug were the original halogen globe was pushed into. Just make sure your car is turned off! The HID ballast pumps out a large current that would give you a kick! You should secure the ballast "screws", but i found cable ties do the job just fine :P

Hope this helped :)

-BADZR6

post-35366-0-18094200-1427798149_thumb.j

Thanks Lincoln. I did that but the HID light didn't light up. i made sure i put them in the right one. black to black and red to the other colour

Im not sure if the HIDS are polarity sensitive, have you tried changing swapping the red for the black and vice versa. Seems strange they arent working buddy. I remember when i bought mine they came with a manual explaining the setup, but i cant find it :/

Im pretty sure Autobahn sell the same ones, maybe drop past a store and see if you can have a look at the instruction manual.

Youll love the end result, they look 200% better than the standard yellow halogen globes!

I have installed them they look so good but there is a slight problem. I don't know if it is the hid or the colour I choose (6000k) but the light doesn't go that far and I can't see my surrounding...what would be the problem. Tomorrow night I will adjust my headlights to see if that fixes it. Also does anyone have that shadow or blackness on the ground right under the light

Thanks in advanced

Hi Sean.

I have a set of Hella HIDs on my 4x4. The light output is 4500K and its been measured up to 3/4 of a Km, using a measuring device that can measure the approximate light output in terms of distance. On the left is my 180 degree spread/pencil beam, and the right hand side is my long range pencil beam. My headlamps are 130/100w lamps and using them alone are brilliant. The HIDs are a bonus in that oncoming vehicles in the remote areas of WA can see them and tnhey immediately go to low beam.

As for the shadow or blackness is something I have never experienced, so am not sure why you are having this problem. Suggest if you know a good Auto Electrician , take the vehicle to them and get the lights checked and focused. If that doesnt work then maybe the HID globes maybe Halogen . Have seen people conned into buying used HID driving lamps, only to find out they have been scammed.and the lamps are Halogen.I cant remember what the legal requirements are in terms of light output is , but have seen the big Lightforce HID lamps and they are out of this world. Cant fit them on mine as the bull bar is too small to fit them. I prefer driving at night owing to the light output and the distance they shine.

Sean,. can you tell me the make of car or 4x4 that you drive, and also what make of HID lights you have. This information may help me to see what the problem is.. There are good HIDs and some pretty average HID lights as well.

i have a 2012 aurion sx6 and I bought the hid from autobahn. They cost $110 but if I went to a Auto Electrician they would charge $240 plus.

Tonight I will get my uncle who is going to adjust my headlights and see if that's any better.

Edited by Sean K

• 5 weeks later...

I got a $50 kit from ebay, took me about 10 minutes to install with ballasts mounted and all =) 2 years later, same kit and same bulbs are still going strong =) That being said, I used 2 other h11 globes and cut the connectors from them to solder the HID pins onto. It's a much better connection and i don't just have 2 pins/prongs jammed into the female connector like BADZR6's image shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds stupid I know but are they up the right way???

I know some makes put the reflector in the bulb and some put the reflector in the head light.

The reason for mentioning this is this makes sure the light is pointing to the lower half and not into the sky and 👀 of oncoming drivers.

That's why these days you get a funky shape come from the headlights