Changing Presara HID headlight globes

firezuki

Howdy gang. Need to replace the front left h/light globe as they are obviously the 2007 ones that have minor cracks and are leaking gas. It keeps flickering and going out. Toyota told me they need to take the front end off to get to the globe. Is this true? If so, does anyone know how it needs to be done? I'd rather do it myself than pay Toyota $160 to change a bloody light globe!

G'day Mark, I have the same year and model car as you and also live in Perth. I've written quite a few posts regarding HID globes so worthwhile having a search to get a better idea.

What Toyota says is correct, also that quote doesn't sound like it includes the actual globes themselves. Toyota quoted me $450 for one and usually you need to replace both as the colour between a new globe and old globe will be different. So the quote I got many years ago was $900 for 2 globes and $210 for fitting. What a joke.

Fortunately, you can just buy the globes off the net and do it yourself. However there's 2 very important things to keep in mind:

- You can install them yourself without removing the bumper however it is a complete pain in the a..e to do so. Set yourself about 2 hours to do this job.

- Make absolute sure the globes you buy are genuine otherwise they will flicker in next to no time and you're stuck with the same issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kombi. Yes, you are right. That quote didn't include the globes which they wanted $400 for! I have the globe - genuine - it's the fitting that is the problem as I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm determined not to pay such a ridiculous price to get the thing installed and now my high beam has gone on the other side!

If it is the left hand side (the battery side) then you're in a bit of luck as it is the easier side. To the best of my memory these are the steps.

1) Remove the black plastic guard under the bonnet to give you more access to the lighting unit

2) Move the battery out of the way to give you more access

3) Undo the 4 screws on the black box that hold the lighting unit.

4) Once all this is done, you need to unplug the plug that connects to the HID globe, you do this by twisting it.

5) Finally, you need to take out the globe from it's housing units. It is held in there by a butterfly clip and an absolute pain to remove due to limited space you have.

Don't forget to wear gloves as not to touch the globes with your fingers.

The right hand side is even worse as you have very little space to play with. I remember having to move the hoses out of the way to give myself a bit more space.

As I mentioned before, this is not a quick job. You'll need plenty of time and patience to get it done right because if it's $400+ just for the globe, god knows how much it would cost to repair the swivel head lights unit.

Feel free to send me a PM for my number, more than happy to talk to you about it.

• 4 years later...

Hey everyone

Last week i went ahead and swapped out my HID globes on my 2007 Presara due to the flickering issue. 2hrs was a good estimation for this job. I didnt have to take the front end off though.

Battery had to be removed for the passenger side.

Driver side was a little tricky with limited space but it is possible with some patience.

Recommend a deep socket and nitrile/latex gloves to help grip the socket as some loosening/tightening i did by hand.

Globes were purchased of Ebay. AUD$260. Pair Genuine Philips D4S Ultinon HID WX Xenon White Pair Car Headlight Bulb Lamp

Handle them with extreme care and remove them from packaging only when at the point to actually install them

Colour is 6000k. Vision is excellent and great improvment over factory HID that i believe are 4200k.

Hi Tony, I assume it is the same procedure for later series, yes a real PITA job but with patience and care is easy enough to do, i replaced mine about 2 yrs ago myself..and only issue is the space to fit hands with equipment to remove and fit the actual light housing especially the drivers side, battery side i found way easier

I also bought my globes off Ebay..and went with the 6000K Philips Set, the difference is really noticeable right away so was well worth the swearing and nicks on the knuckles..

Good Luck and Stay Safe

KAA 

• 3 months later...

hey guys,

i gave this job a go since my bulbs were also flickering and going out. decided to remove the bumper following JIN's write up. bumper resting on some stools so i didn't have to disconnect anything.spacer.png

heres the old bulb, hid capsule inside melted itself into a slow death

spacer.png

got a high end set of bulbs since this job was a real pita. Osram Cool Blue Intense D4S 6000k. $160 a pair from powerbulbs. notice that the capsule is isn't bulging like the old one.

spacer.png

got myself matching led fog lights and led parking lights. easy to change since bumper and headlights were already off. final result, could not be happier

spacer.png

Edited by domej