SOLVED: Ignition woes

SCOOTA44

Hello it's been a while, but I still have The Maroon Monster but have not done a lot to it. I have a starting problem which started as an intermittant one and now wont sart at all. Turn the key and there is no power getting down to the starter motor. I would leave it for a while and then it would start later. Not the case now. I have tried to swap relays with a new one, disconnect the battery for a while but nothing. Could it be in the ignition system or the anti theft system?

In the engine bay, does it sound like a "clack" type sound?

If so, you can get some one to hold the key in the start position and give the body of the starter a whack. If it starts, the brushes could be worn.

• Like 1

In the engine bay, does it sound like a "clack" type sound?

If so, you can get some one to hold the key in the start position and give the body of the starter a whack. If it starts, the brushes could be worn.

Thanks for that, there is no sound from the starter motor at all. I'm picking up another set of relays tomorrow (Friday) and see if they were the culprit.

After removing the K&N heatshield and with a few taps on the top of the starter motor got it going. I have now removed the starter motor and awaiting some $$$ to replace it.

• 2 months later...

The starter motor is under the airbox, or in my case under the K & N intake. There is one wire to remove then two bolts to release it. Change over time is approximately half an hour. Yes it was the starter motor.