Brakes overheating

Hi,

Corolla ZRE152, 2007 - Just installed new genuine rear brake pads and they overheat only after 10km drive. Had the discs machined and re-installed but the issue persists. Could it be sticky calipers? I had great trouble pushing the pistons back in both times to make room for the new pads. Had to use all my strength on a clamp. On other cars used to push them in with a hammer handle.

Should be about 3 years. Rebuilt RHS caliper today. Replaced fluid. Same problem. Could I damage the caliper by pressing it too hard with the clamp? Just realised they go in easily by turning clockwise. Couldn't see any damage inside when I opened it.

Depending on the type of the caliper, especially the "screw" type you may damage it with a clamp. Fluid should be changed at a maximum of 12 months; and more frequently in humid climates.

Thank you. Yes, they are screw type and I applied as much pressure on the clamp as I could. Must have damaged them, especially the RHS one although I couldn't see any damage by naked eye. Got secnd hand ones today from a wrecker for $80 ea (Toyota asked for $550 x 2). Installed them, replaced the fuid and so far so good.

Thank you very much. I must have replaced dozens of brake pads on previous cars, mainly Holden and Ford, and never ran accross a screw type caliper piston. Learned the hard way.

Screw-type caliper pistons are especially common on cars where the handbrake actuates the piston rather than a separate internal brake drum - the screw thread is part of the self-adjusting mechanism of the handbrake

• Like 1

• 2 years later...