EP82 Starlet Update and Plans

Mitchell.A

Hey guys,

just thought i'd put this post up to let everyone know my plans with my recently acquired EP82 Starlet if anyone is interested.

After some more meddling and playing around with the engine to sort out my idling problem I have discovered there is oil leaking into my coolant, I have a very loud rod knock and my head gasket is blown :( So plan 2!

I've found a guide to build a fully forged 5E-FTE out of a 5E-FE block and a few bits and pieces from my 4E-FTE and plan to put full forged internals in it. I will be putting a TD04HLA twin scroll turbo from a GT Premium '05 Subaru Liberty and hopefully getting a Haltech ECU and 325cc 4AGZE Injectors from a guy down in Sydney ive been talking to about it.

Also would like to get a manual 6 speed transmission from a G6 Corolla but have discovered these are very hard to find in Aus but it may have to end up being something I sacrifice which isn't too big of a deal and obviously not necessary but on the bright side if I don't end up putting that in it will save me a bit of cash :D

Anyway ive been told that the 1.5L fully forged should be able to handle 8.5k redline but would like to hear if anybody knows or has any experience about that?

Big project and lots of plans but I cant wait to get stuck in!

Cheers, Mitchell

Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I posted my plans but just a quick update..

I ended up buying a 1992 Paseo with a 5E-FE engine for $300 and soon after swapped it into the starlet, everything was going smooth and only took a day or two then a few things came up recently and haven't had much time to finish her off but lately ive been working on it finishing everything up but just can't seem to get it to turn over, had an issue with a siezed fuel pump.. fixed, had an issue with water lines flooding the manifold.. fixed and now it just cranks and cranks and cranks, I know enough guel is getting through, the timing is fine, definitely getting compression and enough airflow and as far as im concerned the sensors and wiring are all good which leads me to believe it is something to do with vacuum lines, all the diagrams i have found online are very confusing as I have an ep82 engine bay and sensors and wiring but the 5efe motor, i just have to keep testing and trying till she decides to work i guess.. if anybody lives in or around brisbane and wouldn't mind me coming over and taking a look around to see if ive hooked any up wrong that would be a massive help! Anyway ill post as soon as I've got it running!

Cheers, Mitchell

Edited by Mitchell.A
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey mate,

Good too see someone still tinkering with starlets, it seems the scene has died..... All the forums are gone or have stuff all posts and I just got back into them.

Keep up the work and keep us updated.