Kluger remote keys

PeterloveKluger

hi, everyone:

I got a Kluger 2004 imported from Japan, model is MCU25W, it come with one normal key with the car, I want to get a remote key for it, but have no idea which remote key I should go for. I bought a key from ebay says it can compatible with 2004 Kluger, but unfortunately it can't, I think it is because my car is imported.

Appreciate for your help. The Toyota dealer want $320 for a remote key which is too expensive.

Edited by PeterloveKluger

It should be compatible to your imported Kluger as it is relatively the same vehicle sold in another market.

Anyways, I'm list the procedure below to program the Key/Remote:

Get in the drivers side of the vehicle, make sure all the doors are closed except the drivers side door and all the door locks are unlocked.

Insert the key into the ignition without turning and remove it quickly

Insert the key into the ignition without turning and remove it quickly

Close the drivers side door, then open it.

Insert the key into the ignition without turning it and remove it quickly.

Insert key into the ignition (do not remove, do not turn).

Close the drivers side door.

Turn key to “On”, then to “Off”

Remove the key

Vehicle locks should lock and then unlock to signify programming mode. If not, repeat above steps.

Press and hold “Lock” and “Unlock” on the keyless entry remote simultaneously for 2 seconds.

Let go of the buttons and quickly press the “Lock” button (by itself) on the keyless entry remote and hold it for 2 seconds.

Doors should lock and unlock to signify successful programming

Repeat 2 previous steps to program additional remotes

Open the drivers side door to exit programming mode.

Sourced: http://www.automotiveforums.com/t352329-discuss2004_highlander_transponder_key_programming.html

- Highwaystar

Hi, Highwaystar, thanks for the reply, unfortunately this didn't work for me, I went to Toyota and purchase the key from them, it is not the two button key that I have, the key only have 1 button at the side, I think this is because the Kluger from Japan used a different key.

That should be the correct procedure, try with different timing going a bit slower.

When you insert the key in the ignition with the door open does the car chime at you? ( Not sure if your model is supposed to), If it does have key insertion switch and it is either disconnected or not working correctly then that will stop the programming from working.

When you put the key in the ignition do it with slight downward pressure on the key, as the steering lock mech wears out on these it doesn't lift high enough to press the insertion switch, pushing on the key is generally enough to get it into place.

• 1 month later...

I used a similar method to that mentioned above to program a new key for our 07 camry. Worked perfectly.
I got my instructions from a youtube post. Must get it 100% right though... don't rush. Do not remove the key until it is finished being written to... can take a couple of minutes.

• 4 years later...

Hello Jason,

I, too, have just purchased an aftermarket Kluger (2005) remote key fob and followed your instructions to program it.

On the third attempt, I got it right and the locking function works perfectly. However, now the key will not start the car! I have to use the spare key to do that.

do you have any suggestion to fix this?

Thanks.

Tony Wood.