98 landcruiser 4.5 petrol

rshippy

Hi All,

is it posssible to pin out codes on a 98 petrol Landcruiser?

My model is a FZJ105R WITH THE 1FZ-FE engine.

I have a problem with it not starting sometimes, i just come back 15 minutes later and it will start no problem.

thanks

OBD II blue tooth connector off ebay and install the app in your smart phone.

Being a '98 model there's a decent chance it's not OBDII (even if it looks like it has an OBDII plug)...

But that FZJ105R production ran from 97/98 - 2007, I say there is a good chance it will work. :)

Australia did not adopt OBDII protocol until 2006 (everyone sees the US date of 1996 online and think that applies to the whole world - it doesn't), and whilst some overseas manufacturers did adopt OBDII worldwide in the early 2000s Toyota did not until 2006. Cars sold here made after 1996 may also have OBDII-style plugs installed to reduce costs but the wiring and/or software is not present for OBDII diagnostics tools to work.

Has a plug at the brake pedal, Will be trying a scanner this week.

Cannot pin out under the bonnet as one of the terminals is not there.

Will post what I find!

It may look like an OBDII connector but will not be a standard OBDII pinout (Toyota used a proprietary pinout and scan-tool during this period) - is there a diagram under the cap under the dash? If so then pin TE1 and E1 as you would have on the connector under the bonnet (from a quick scan online TE1 is missing from the diag port under the bonnet, right?)

• 1 year later...
On 26/09/2015 at 7:46 AM, rshippy said:

Hi All,

is it posssible to pin out codes on a 98 petrol Landcruiser?

My model is a FZJ105R WITH THE 1FZ-FE engine.

I have a problem with it not starting sometimes, i just come back 15 minutes later and it will start no problem.

thanks

What was the problem ? As I'm having the same issue ? Cheers

Edited by FL33XN

• 4 years later...

Hi I have got a 98 cruiser with the 4.5 petrol motor in it 

so what is happening is I went out this morning started no worries runs really good then say go for 10 mins drive come home turn it of and won’t start again cranks fires then cuts out straight away 

anyone had this fault before and can give some advice please thanks 

Paul

• 2 months later...

I use the Bluetooth OBD2 reader from Jaycar in my FZJ105 and it works well. You just have to enter the advanced string in to the Torque Pro app to tell it how to communicate on the right protocol. 

• 9 months later...
On 2/26/2022 at 9:08 AM, coxe87b said:

I use the Bluetooth OBD2 reader from Jaycar in my FZJ105 and it works well. You just have to enter the advanced string in to the Torque Pro app to tell it how to communicate on the right protocol. 

Can you share the advaned string needed to communicate?

On 2/26/2022 at 9:08 AM, coxe87b said:

Hey can you share the advanced string?