New to Toyota - 2005 Corolla Sportivo!

Squalled

G'day TOCA,

So up until recently I owned a 1998 Honda Prelude VTi-R. I bought it relatively standard other than an axle back muffler, 17x7 King Sabeth rims and a sound system. It had fairly high kms at the time at around 197000 kms but had full service history and ran great for it's age.

Over time, I eventually began to mod it and did the following:

Engine:
- Injen Cold Air intake with Hydroshield
- X-Force Stainless Steel Extractors
- 2.5" Mild Steel Exhaust with 100 cell high flow cat, resonator and twin loop muffler

Drivetrain:
- Standard replacement clutch
- Machined fly wheel

Handling:
- Koni Adjustable Shocks with Eibach Ground Control adjustable springs
- Ultra Racing front upper strut brace

Exterior:
- OEM Lip Kit from new
- JDM Honeycomb Grille with Prelude badge
- Buddy Club P1 17x7 on Pirelli P7s
- Factory style fog lights
- Window Visors
- Rear window roof wing

Interior:
- 10mm shifter extension
- Spoon Duracon shift knob
- DC2R gear boot modified to fit
- Carbon cluster surround
- Clarion single din headunit and Focal rear speakers

Other:
- Spoon oil cap
- Painted valve cover
- Carbon spark plug cover
- Innovative 62A side engine mounts
- Apexi AFC NEO (never wired in to tune)

tElj0ni.jpg

QJX3iCV.jpg

eUBHxIh.jpg

yqbEydn.jpg

It was my first car but sadly a week ago I was involved in and accident and my Prelude was sadly written off due to the amount of money needed for repairs. I had the car for over a year and a half, close to two years.

ffgufDO.jpg

I had been for a car to get for my full license but I automatically leaned towards the Corolla Sportivo as a replacement. I had driven an 03 and really liked how comfy they were, the engine and the way it used it's power and of course the way it felt on the road. I was looking at a 200SX S14 but with the new P Plate rules allowing them to be legal, the prices have gone through the roof for clean examples.

On the 19th of September, I purchased my 2005 Corolla Sportivo. Apart from tint, window visors and a stubby antenna, the car is pretty much standard, an excellent base for modifications.

NBM8eCw.jpg

38q2FUJ.jpg

SF0kxyF.jpg

RFugKFs.jpg

kso8DqG.jpg

Recently I was able to get my hands on an OEM bonnet protector, split in two but it looks normal when on the car. I also got a second engine cover to be painted later on.

My plans at the moment are to get some much needed low, cold air intake (Injen preferably), exhaust sometime later, Exedy HD clutch and possibly a lightened flywheel (current clutch and flywheel are excellent and have no issues), possibly new wheels if I get sick of the stock ones and maybe some other handling mods.

Just to ask some questions, would anyone know the part number for the Injen CAI for an 05, part number for Exedy HD clutch, a good flywheel? Much appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Squalled

Hey Welcome Squalled.

Nice car :)

With regarding your questions im not sure.

Best to join corolla sportivo Sydney group on facebook they will help.

Just request to join and yeh its more active than the forums.

Ps . lifting in the tunnels is best haha

Edited by Demanius

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATES!

Have ordered an Injen CAI that should be coming very soon. Have also booked in my car to get the scraped side skirts and some bumper damage to be repaired.

I haven't had a chance to install the bonnet protector just yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I finally found time to update this.

I recently had a local smash repairer fix the damaged side skirts, rear bar, boot lid and driver side rear quarter due to the previous owner. I had also requested that only the main Toyota symbol be left and the other badges removed for a cleaner look.

I also finally got the chance to install the Injen intake a few weeks ago. Car is running excellently with no significant difference in fuel economy (when not lifting everywhere) and the sound, oh boy :D. Gotta love the sound of lift with an aftermarket intake.

Here are some shots from an industrial area that I was meant to have some nice DSLR pics but the camera sadly had issues so, my S5 was used.

cOZlJ3v.jpg

pzdxZfq.jpg

y31BGZL.jpg

dCPOQKQ.jpg

cwwsjqy.jpg

I also decided to take my car to Sydney Dragway for some fun. I had one goal, to beat the 16.1 state in various car reviews. I am still on the stock clutch so I did take it easy through the gears. After a few hiccups, stuff ups and my guard liner coming out, I did it. This was also my first time running in the drags, what an experience :)

paHhddy.jpg

Run 1: 16.459
Run 2: 17.077 - Missed 2nd
Run 3: No time
Run 4: 16.208
Run 5: 16.092

I plan on doing an oil change and re-installing the guard liner this weekend. I will also be cleaning the water marks that are not going away after washes. I have recently taken the visors off as the 3M tape was past its best.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Edited by Squalled

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alrighty, since the last update, my car has changed in appearance just a little.

Towards to end of 2015 and start of this year, I spoiled myself with finding a set of practically new BC BR Gold Coilovers, installed a new double din touch screen head unit with speakers all round (also used my amp and sub from my previous car). 

Towards the start of this month I was lucky enough to find brand new Whiteline rear sway bar and strut brace going for a great price. That same week I was also lucky to find a great set of Advan RG2's in a ghost chrome, 16x7 running RE002's 205/45s.

Here's some of the latest photos.

Also got a dash mat for Christmas which was put in just before the sound system.

Ipf1Qo3.jpg

Old suspension

CmZqnyR.jpg

uZY7jp8.jpg

New coilovers

KtWtBtg.jpg

Coilovers in the front, stock in the rear. Massive difference in height

qlwNyOp.jpg

The new look :D

w9NKia9.jpg

jVCoXzC.jpg

pdcvDjL.jpg

Current height...

uO06Mha.jpg

Corolla Society meet and cruise.

bskcAoF.jpg

Latest picture, as of yesterday before the rain rolled through.

KGR0oP4.jpg

I also have some other little parts just waiting to be installed. Have given the car an oil change today with no dramas. Next up on the list is definitely the clutch. Stay tuned for more!

Edited by Squalled

• 2 months later...

Been a while since my last update.

Since then I haven't really done all too much. Still waiting to install the rear whiteline sway bar and few other little bits and pieces. Not long after my last update, I had purchased some Runx lights from a Sportivo owner in Melbourne. Had a mate make a custom harness for them to work on a 2005 model and all went well.

6EPT3v4.jpg

2005 stock vs Runx

YWtxC4Z.jpg

Runx lights installed

t3sr3Hk.jpg

After a wash

In recent weeks I have changed the center console light colour. Purchase some "light condoms" from eBay and changed them at home. Simple, easy and was done in about 30 minutes.

JRNm2ca.jpg

Everyone knows the standard green.

YcTu9rK.jpg

Can definitely say red is 100 times better!

Other then that, still have a lot of things I'd like to get done this year. Will be keeping this updated as more is done!

Edited by Squalled
  • Like 1

Majority of your photos aren't working anymore man:((

may I ask if you have the link for the led condoms as I'd love to do it myself? Thanks bro!:))

3 hours ago, Chain said:

Majority of your photos aren't working anymore man:((

may I ask if you have the link for the led condoms as I'd love to do it myself? Thanks bro!:))

Sent you a message mate.

• 1 month later...

Update time.

So in the last few weeks, the Sportivo has had a fair bit of work completed. Due to having time off work, I thought it would be the best time to get a lot of the work done so I can enjoy it.

New items since my previous update include the install of new engine mounts, Exedy HD clutch with the OEM flywheel machined and a full exhaust system.

The exhaust system is made up starting with CES ported headers, 100 cell high flow cat, 2.5" piping, 2 resonators and a single tip varex muffler. It is also made with mild steel and has been completely painted with high temp black paint. It has a really nice tone and is loud in lift and moderately loud when not in lift. Bonus with the varex is that it basically sounds as quiet as stock when closed, so I won't be annoying any neighbours too soon. 

As noted on here many times, I'd definitely recommend porting or CES ported headers to anyone. The gains are quite noticeable, not power wise (although there are proven gains all over the internet for power) but the low and mid range improvements are evident. Doesn't need to be revved out as much to get the car up to speed. I live in NSW (CES are based in QLD) and had the headers at my door a week after payment and have been satisfied with the work and service from CES. I highly recommend them!

Here some comparisons between stock and ported.

DaqTqCk.jpg

Beginning of the runners

eoFOhlK.jpg

Collector

d5Gqqov.jpg

I got the headers painted in high temp black as apposed to the coating, which did result in a cheaper price. I also went with the exchange and have since sent my headers to CES.

DdIqhhg.jpg

Runx lights at night

XQDus4Z.jpg

P4WgtvT.jpg

Interior lighting in the late afternoon and night

yUmyFGP.jpg

Cxv1IWt.jpg

Blx6cfH.jpg

N8zbCcN.jpg

Hhcsszy.jpg

Here are the latest pictures of the Sportivo, not all too much has changed since the last update.

I'd say that the car is in the late stages of been completed. There's just a few things I'd like to do to finish it off. But who knows, there could be a few more things that come up that I'll want :laugh:

I'll be keeping my thread updated.

Edited by Squalled
  • Like 1

Mirin hard, bit dissapointed that you don't have a mightycarmods sticker though ;)
If you want to hold up the bootcover on your shifter man, get a small zip tie and put it around the shifter. I did it the other week because having that gap between the knob and the boot cover is really annoying. Up to you though!

Whats the deal with the headers too, do we purchase the ones they have listed and then send in our stock ones? 

15 hours ago, Chain said:

Mirin hard, bit dissapointed that you don't have a mightycarmods sticker though ;)
If you want to hold up the bootcover on your shifter man, get a small zip tie and put it around the shifter. I did it the other week because having that gap between the knob and the boot cover is really annoying. Up to you though!

Whats the deal with the headers too, do we purchase the ones they have listed and then send in our stock ones? 

Cheers for that mate! Never thought of that.

With the headers, I just emailed them about it stating I lived out of QLD and wanted to do the exchange. They got an invoice ready, I paid them and a week later the headers were at my door. Once you get your old ones out, send them back to them and they will also return the $200 holding fee in case you don't follow through with the trade.

I definitely highly recommend ported headers.

These ones here i assume? Cheers for your help man, also zipties are a jdm savior. 

They look so good in stainless 

Headers.png

16 hours ago, Chain said:

These ones here i assume? Cheers for your help man, also zipties are a jdm savior. 

They look so good in stainless 

Headers.png

Yeap, those are the ones man.

In all honesty, you don't see them so it's not worth getting if you're only after the look. It does keep the engine bay cooler from what I've been reading.

Shoot CES an email and they'll be able to help you out.

46 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

CES are reasonable quality, but they are rather pricey for what you get.

I can agree with that Trent, although CES and/or porting headers is definitely a cheaper option then the PPE header.

A lot of Sydney Sportivo owners go for the Wildcat or Hurricane headers, which give it a nice rumble but I've heard that many stories of them cracking after a year or so, and they cost more then porting generally, well the Hurricanes do.

On 4/26/2016 at 3:52 PM, Squalled said:

Sent you a message mate.

Hey bud, could you send me a link of those LED 'doms. Really keen on doing that mod to match the whole interior dash lighting. Also was this mod a pain in the *****, or was it fairly straight forward to do. I know when i upgrade to my 2din headunit it looked challenging.

cheers, 

3 hours ago, actionplan said:

Hey bud, could you send me a link of those LED 'doms. Really keen on doing that mod to match the whole interior dash lighting. Also was this mod a pain in the *****, or was it fairly straight forward to do. I know when i upgrade to my 2din headunit it looked challenging.

cheers, 

No worries man. PM sent.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update, finally getting around to doing the smaller projects.

Began preparing a second engine cover I bought last year for it's new look. This is the first time I'm prepping and painting something without any help so I'm not expecting anything over the top but I'll be happy that I gave it ago.

bDlWbxo.jpg

Will keep updates coming.

Edited by Squalled

• 3 weeks later...

Update time.

So 2 weeks ago I finished the engine cover. Nothing show car spec, I'll say it's fairly rough in a lot of spots, but definitely happy with the colour. I let it cure over the week and put on last weekend.

gSqcj9p.jpg

High temperature base coat.

tr728LW.jpg

kF0wHQS.jpg

Final layers of high temperature colour.

PKLLNdJ.jpg

Finish product, the the letters and Toyota symbol were masked off to keep them silver.

D88WchQ.jpg

Engine cover on

4ivjzrs.jpg

92c2nBd.jpg

vYuA4hF.jpg

Finally got to wash the car after a few weeks of unpredictable NSW weather. I also found a brand new set of 4 genuine floor mats to replace the old worn ones.

Edited by Squalled