New to Toyota - 2005 Corolla Sportivo!

Squalled

Has been a while since I've updated my thread. As of recently I have refitted the driver side guard liner as it came out while going down the 1/4 mile. Just over the weekend I also installed a dash cam which is definitely paying off as of recently.

Sadly, my Corolla has fallen victim the crunching gears and gearbox noises. I have taken it to a mechanic shop (owner used to work for Toyota for quite sometime, safe to say he is not so surprised to see a Sportivo with gearbox issues). I discovered a leak from the gearbox case and also a leak from the oil pressure sensor or possibly the sump.

He definitely said the gearbox would need a rebuild, also stating that second and third gear been the worst affected gears. I'm awaiting a quote at the moment for a rebuild.

Other then that, the car has been running great. I have a few more things before I can finally just relax and enjoy the car.

To do list:

- Black housing head lights

- Installation of whiteline rear sway bar

- New gear knob and other small bit here and there.

Will update when I can!

Edited by Squalled

1 hour ago, Chain said:

Sorry to hear man, i had the same **** for my third gear. Look forward to your mad modz

Well 3rd and 4th are weakest gears in the C64 box from what I've been reading it doesn't surprise me it's the worst. I do tend to give 3rd a bit of grief.

Well my new gear knob has arrived and has been installed so that's one thing to check off now.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly man after just selling mine i think the c64 is a pile of ****. I have read so much negative things on them. That's the reason i had to get rid of mine because it now has some used gearbox in it. It's a damn shame because when they work they feel nice it's also a bigger shame that their isn't any alternate gearbox that fits.

A new one from toyota will set you back 4g. which i imagine will be cheaper than your rebuild that wont include all new parts. If you could afford the mods to make it strong it might be worth it for the car but not financially.

Someone needs to make a conversion kit to a honda box or something more bullet proof that can work with the 2zz.lift.

There might be a auto box out there that can bolt on i'm not sure but once again the cost.

22 hours ago, kramersteen said:

Honestly man after just selling mine i think the c64 is a pile of ****. I have read so much negative things on them. That's the reason i had to get rid of mine because it now has some used gearbox in it. It's a damn shame because when they work they feel nice it's also a bigger shame that their isn't any alternate gearbox that fits.

A new one from toyota will set you back 4g. which i imagine will be cheaper than your rebuild that wont include all new parts. If you could afford the mods to make it strong it might be worth it for the car but not financially.

Someone needs to make a conversion kit to a honda box or something more bullet proof that can work with the 2zz.lift.

There might be a auto box out there that can bolt on i'm not sure but once again the cost.

IMO they're not the worst gearbox in the world, the ratios are a bit odd for some gears but it's a real shame that the gearbox can't stand up to the way the engine is used. At the moment I have a mechanic looking for a new one that I can rebuild. The price from Toyota seems fairly standard and to be expected to be honest.

2ZZ's did have an auto option in some markets too, not only on the Celica but the Corolla too.

The way they feel and drive is nice. Ratios are fine imo its just like you said.

I thought the new price was fair. It would be good to know if the new ones are new old stock or still in production.

I still have my dead box here. If anyone wants it you can have it for some hot chips and a coke to the value of $100. haha

• 2 weeks later...

Last Update for 2016!

Alright before 2016 ends I might as well give a little update. Have had any word from the mechanic about a new gearbox as of yet. Hopefully next year a new gearbox is sourced.

Some goodies have been ordered from the U.S. to be installed next year. Just a little hint, they're from Monkey Wrench Racing. The package is currently in the process of coming to Australia and is currently in Dubai.

I'm also currently working on doing black housing headlights. I'm attempting to remove the old black paint as it was peeling badly for a fresh new coat but haven't had any success. If anyone knows anything that removes paint of plastic without destroying the plastic, please let me know.

gWTU6pQ.jpg

I gave the car its last wash for 2016 and at a car wash for once. Usually don't go to them too often but I thought why not for the last wash of the year.

1JXm9tA.jpg

dMeOtVD.jpg

Here are some shots the next morning after the wash.

1h1PhKw.jpg

This is the new gear knob I installed a month or two ago. Not to everyone's taste but I enjoy having the shifter at a higher level for now.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy New Year!

Edited by Squalled
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Squalled said:

Last Update for 2016!

Alright before 2016 ends I might as well give a little update. Have had any word from the mechanic about a new gearbox as of yet. Hopefully next year a new gearbox is sourced.

Some goodies have been ordered from the U.S. to be installed next year. Just a little hint, they're from Monkey Wrench Racing. The package is currently in the process of coming to Australia and is currently in Dubai.

I'm also currently working on doing black housing headlights. I'm attempting to remove the old black paint as it was peeling badly for a fresh new coat but haven't had any success. If anyone knows anything that removes paint of plastic without destroying the plastic, please let me know.

I gave the car its last wash for 2016 at a car wash for once. Usually don't go to them often but I thought why not.

20161229_210058_zpszpvymycr.jpg

Here are some shots the next morning after the wash.

20161230_073913_zpsyucz4xrq.jpg

20161230_073833_zpsemutdlxg.jpg

Also here is the new gear knob I installed a month or two ago. Not everyone's taste but I enjoy having the gear knob at a higher level. I have also since installed a dash cam which is safe to say is paying off.

20161230_074023_zps0v1ctca0.jpg

Wishing everyone a safe and happy New Year!

Looks wonderful ty for Pic's have a great 2017 too you and those you love

KAA

1 hour ago, kramersteen said:

Really nice!

I hope you got yourself these https://monkeywrenchracing.com/product/ssc-gear-upgrade-3rd4th-helical-lotustoyota-c60-c64/

The lsd would be great too

Thanks Kramersteen!

I wish I could but there a way out of my budget sadly. I'd love to get the Jubu gear set.

Sadly it's not an LSD either, smaller items that will hopefully make driving experience better and more enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...

Update time!

So the box of goodies arrived from MWR in good time. Have yet to install any of the parts yet, probably only going to do one of them myself anyway.

0E7jOar.jpg

So I got the Speed Source extended pushrod and shifter base bushings along with Energy Suspension engine mount inserts.

Since the last update, I have since returned back to the stock gear knob which feels a bit nice to drive due to the gearbox issues present. Other than that, the car hasn't been too much of an issue. The do list seems to be getting bigger though with the above, and along with:

- Finishing Black housing headlights.

- Fix some rust in the engine bay

- Installation of Whiteline torsion beam bar

- New light bulbs inside and out

- Detailing inside and out

Here's the most recent photos of the Sportivo, will still be keeping updated as much as possible. Until next time, take care.

sYvwJ73.jpg

tNpv0je.jpg

CMrpgl4.jpg

QKHA2w5.jpg

Agznjwv.jpg

IGA5uuw.jpg

Edited by Squalled
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

What's the length and diameter of the push rod?

Hey Trent, the picture attached shows the length different between a standard pushrod. I believe they are the same diameter. I can get some measurements later and add them in.

download.jpg

Edited by Squalled

3 hours ago, Squalled said:

Hey Trent, the picture attached shows the length different between a standard pushrod. I believe they are the same diameter. I can get some measurements later and add them in.

download.jpg

I don't have an original to compare it to. I would potentially use it in a different application.

That would be correct, so roughly 6mm longer then the standard.

Here is the description from MWR for reference on the size and what it is meant to do.

This clutch slave cylinder push rod is ¼” longer than stock and is made from CNC turned 303 stainless steel. A slightly longer shaft puts the slave cylinder piston further back in its bore, thus allowing a longer stroke and more disengagement.

Edited by Squalled

On 1/30/2017 at 6:37 PM, trentmeyer23 said:

I don't have a stock one to compare it to, so I have no idea how long it is to start with, to add the 1/4". I also have no idea what the diameter is.

I'll get a measurement of the pushrod and let you know Trent.

EDIT: The extended pushrod measured roughly 7.4cm in length, so 1/4" shorter is apparently the standard length. So standard length if my maths is right is roughly around 6.7cm.

Edited by Squalled

56 minutes ago, Antonstadon said:

Hey Squalled, just curious as to where you sourced the JDM taillights from. How much were they and were they hard to install?

Thanks.

Hey Anton,

I found a guy from Melbourne selling a set on a Facebook group. He to had an 2005 model and was just checking if anyone wanted them for their own. I contacted him and committed to buy a week before he was going to put them on his own Corolla. I got them for $250 shipped from Melbourne (Previous person got them direct from Japan).

Now for the installation. The lights will obviously fit in no worries, just check that the tail light seals are all good, in my case they were and also check the bulbs. 

With the lights, they will be plug and play for the 03/04 model. For the 2005 model on the other hand, the plugs on the tail lights are different. I had to get a friend of mine who is good with wiring and what not to make a custom addition to the harness. I got a plug that matched the 2005 tail light harness, but was able to match the older style plug on the Runx lights. They work amazingly, although I need to check one of the brake lights as it is a little duller then the others.

Only issue was the grounding at first as when I hit the brakes, the indicators would slowly light up and stay on.

If you are after the JDM style light setup, that can easily be done on the standard 2005 light, pretty sure there is a DIY on here.

Hope that helps.

So just this weekend I decided to replace my shifter base bushings. It took me roughly an hour after a lot of fiddling and double checking on how it should be done. It's safe to say that it has made more of a difference then I first thought.

Gear changes are a lot more smooth for every shift and doesn't seem to feel as notchy or sloppy like it was with the stock rubber bushings.

Here's the stock shifter base rubber bushing which has since been replaced with the solid aluminum bushings from Speed Source.

h8kLE07.jpg

B1lREm3.jpg

Standard bushings installed.

0CxC1xG.jpg

The standard bushing.

ojrUgka.jpg

Can't really see it but now the solid bushings are installed.

Will keep updated!

On 2/2/2017 at 9:18 PM, trentmeyer23 said:

Thanks, do you have the diameter?

Hey Trent, have made multiple checks on the diameter to get rough estimate of 0.7cm in diameter for the pushrod.

Edited by Squalled

• 1 month later...

Update time!

So in the last month or so, nothing much has really changed. I've been really busy recently due to a new position at work and not really having enough time to work on the car on weekends. I still haven't had any shops give me a quote for a rebuild as of yet so I'm still really pushing my luck.

I recently gave the leather seats a nice clean with a leather cleaning kit. It's not to noticeable in photos but the leather looks a lot cleaner and feels a lot nicer too. I'll need to re-do it as I did miss a few spots.

One thing I did recently was give the cluster a nice polish. Since I bought the car, the cluster was fairly dirty and scratched and I was had the idea of cleaning it up. I did so with Meguiars Plastx and ended starting a trend with some mates who later cleaned theirs. Safe to say I'm happy with the results.

vdozmHb.jpg

Before

FOyWuGe.jpg

TB06KuG.jpg

After

Needs a few little spots cleaned a little more but overall it's a great improvement.

Sadly the list still remains the same as last time, with it probably growing ever so slightly to:

- Raising the car to a more suitable height, kind of over scraping every time I get into work no matter how slow I go.

- Hiding the Dash Cam cabling

- Installing engine mount inserts + getting custom washers made to hold them in.

Will keep updated!

Edited by Squalled

Small Update!

After a long time waiting for some quotes, the gearbox is finally getting a rebuild next week! Got a local shop doing the work which also comes with a 1 year/20000 km warranty. Other then that, I think the car is slowly coming back together again although the list seems to keep to growing and growing.

Keep you all updated