Review of my recent buy - Touring 2010

DHA2453

Have bought and owned an Aurion Touring 2010 for a little over a month now and thought i should share my thoughts.

64k on the clock. Next to new condition in and out. People say it's just an ATX with a couple of extra features, but they are wrong. The car is a Prodigy only missing leather seats and the electric sunshade!

All the extra's you'd want for the money you're spending. On top of the AT-X feature list, things like reverse camera, parking sensors, Rain sensing wipers, rear spoiler, Sportivo tail lights, full trip computer, electro-chromatic rear-view mirror (auto dimming), and fog lamps, really hit the spot and knock competitor cars right off the charts (and i can keep going).

Engine is perfect, really goes when you want it to, and is the most cruisiest car at low speeds. Transmission at times may take an extra millisecond to respond when floored, but the 2GR-FE will make up for it when you're passing the other car/s. The 200kw do not stay hidden. Clocked at 6.8 seconds 0 – 100 (stock, for now) I have found that tip-tronic can be slightly hesitant. There are aftermarket options to give it an extra kick (not that it really needs it) such as a High flow air filter or exhaust system. i've read that just by using 98 fuel you can add 6kw of power.

Traction will kick in if you floor it from a stop, but i've found that if you control your foot and take the pedal down more slowly and gradually, you won't spin out. It's something to get used to coming from an AWD Kluger, but very worth it.

Fuel economy is decent, i can average 10 to 11 L/100km in stop start traffic and suburban areas, and can get as low as 7 L/100km on long distance highway trips (Sydney to Bathurst is my frequent).

For a stock standard audio system, it really is impressive. Great bass, and the massive front tweakers don't go missed.

The bad (luckily most of these are fixable):
– Touring wheels were not appealing to me at all, i have changed to a set of pre-owned almost new condition SX6/ ZR6 rims running on Michelin Energy's
– When i upgraded the gear selector lights to LED, a nasty creaking noise started to come from the cup-holder plastics rubbing against each other when turning and accelerating/ decelerating – a spray of Inox lubricant on all joints stopped this immediately (just leave you're windows open for a while)
– The notorious 'pull to the left' issue – funny enough my mechanic did all he could to get rid of this and could only improve it (with old wheels). When i changed to the Sportivo wheels, it completely went away, tested at all speeds alignment is 100% in line (and i installed the new wheels myself, pumped to 40psi front and back).
– Stock interior lighting is shocking, especially the ***** poor boot light. I have upgraded any and all lighting to LED (dome, door lights, headlights, reverse lights, centre console lights, parkers, glovebox, you name it) I've even added the LED DRL fog light housing replacement, and they really look great.
– Rear-view mirror rattles/ loose – a single bolt needs to be tightened which is against the glass on the arm of the mirror itself.
– The bluetooth audio can be a bit shoddy with iPhones, but most of the time works fine. No Siri funtionality at all. If you try and use Siri while driving, the system will disconnect your phone after Siri does what you say.

All in all, it is a dream to drive with miniscule issues that can be fixed. Comfortable, spacious, and smooth and decent looking ride. Not a supercar, but close enough.

• Like 1

Hi David,

welcome along to the forum! Great detailed review of your Touring 2010 model, a very interesting read. You must post up some photos so we can see your Aurion with its new wheels.

I must admit that the Touring models, at first glance, look so much like the Sportivo's that fitting those alloys will confuse the issue even more,( and I drive a Sportivo!) Mine has just clocked over 65,500km and is a 2010 model so I found your comments quite relevant. Keep up the great reviews mate.

People say it's just an ATX with a couple of extra features, but they are wrong. The car is a Prodigy only missing leather seats and the electric sunshade!

All the extra's you'd want for the money you're spending. On top of the AT-X feature list, things like reverse camera, parking sensors, Rain sensing wipers, rear spoiler, Sportivo tail lights, full trip computer, electro-chromatic rear-view mirror (auto dimming), and fog lamps, really hit the spot and knock competitor cars right off the charts (and i can keep going).

Completely agree mate.

– Stock interior lighting is shocking, especially the ***** poor boot light. I have upgraded any and all lighting to LED (dome, door lights, headlights, reverse lights, centre console lights, parkers, glovebox, you name it) I've even added the LED DRL fog light housing replacement, and they really look great.

I've done the same, except for the glove box. Got any advice on getting to this light and if it's the same LED type as all the other interior lights?

If it's relevant to the year of your car, then I heartily recommend upgrading the rear sway bar. Finally did mine today (Couple of years of wanting to, then a couple of months of letting the new bar sit out back until I could be motivated to), and I have to say, the difference is very nice, very well worth it.

Congrats on getting the Touring model. You won't be disappointed. I own one but 2011 late september build sold in 2012 with 0 kms. It was one of the last ones before the new Aurions came out and it's now over 37,000 kms coming up to 38,000 kms soon. Yes the car should have hit 60-70,000 kms by now but i often mix public transport and driving to work in city (have free parking).

You are right the 2GR-FE engine doesn't stay hidden. That's the beauty of it. I recently did a long drive from Perth to Geraldton. Great car to cruise. Overtakes the cars with ease but the speed can creep up on you without you knowing it. I got a fright of my life when I was overtaking a double long road train on overtaking lanes (single lane to 2 lanes for about 1 kms then back to single lane). I didn't realize my speedo hit 200kmh as I was focused on overtaking a double long road train safely and it wasn't until the car started to lift itself off that's when I noticed the speedo and I was like f*** that and let off the accelerator only after i have been in front of the truck a good 5 cars length.

Yes the infamous pull to left issue can be sorted if you go to a wheel alignment place. I only do that once i need to check where the steering wheel is going. If it goes left fast while driving slow 40kmh on a street. Best way to test it.

I haven't upgraded the interior lights yet. I will do that next year after I return from Deaf Games in Adelaide.

Fuel economy is a beauty too. I did 6.8 l/100kms on the drive from Perth to Augusta back in May this year and 7.2 l/100 kms on the drive from Perth to Geraldton just over 2 weeks ago. In city, my fuel tank goes empty in 3 weeks with BP Ultimate when it's cheap. I think i go about 8-9 l/100km and yes that's mixed with stop start and suburban driving. And on that note about petrol brand, for some reason Caltex petrol, i go empty very quickly (1 and half week) when I have been nanny driving my car (probably crap fuel?) and with Shell. 2 and half weeks. I have yet to try PUMA branded ones (they are GULL before).

People say it's just an ATX with a couple of extra features, but they are wrong. The car is a Prodigy only missing leather seats and the electric sunshade!

Completely agree mate.

I've done the same, except for the glove box. Got any advice on getting to this light and if it's the same LED type as all the other interior lights?

If you mean the same as the gear selector bulb, yes. The smallest one used in the car (not the T10). Now the glovebox is probably the most painful. You need the entire assembly out. Open up the glovebox, there are a couple of screws on the top along where the trigger for the light itself is. Unscrew, then you'll need to gently pull the whole assembly out. You can manage to unclip the silver trim on the dash to help with getting everything out. then you should be able to get to the light assembly from the back of the glovebox and change it there and then, but make sure you test the bulb as this is a very annoying process to repeat. Hope this is clear enough.

Hi David,

welcome along to the forum! Great detailed review of your Touring 2010 model, a very interesting read. You must post up some photos so we can see your Aurion with its new wheels.

I must admit that the Touring models, at first glance, look so much like the Sportivo's that fitting those alloys will confuse the issue even more,( and I drive a Sportivo!) Mine has just clocked over 65,500km and is a 2010 model so I found your comments quite relevant. Keep up the great reviews mate.

I actually agree, i'm pretty sure the front grille is the same as the sportivo models. Looks closer to one with these rims.

I actually agree, i'm pretty sure the front grille is the same as the sportivo models.

Yep it is, and I used to think the ATX & Presara style chrome grille looked better, but over time I've grown the prefer the one on the Touring and Sportivo models more. In fact it looks better without the tacked-on-as-an-afterthought looking Sportivo body kit, I reckon.