E154F Gearbox issue in ST215 Caldina

Mikey.D

Hello, Not being a mechanic I was after some thoughts on my gearbox issue. So the gearbox in my 5sp man 97 Caldina GT-T has started not going into gear properly under spirited driving or highish rpm up/down shifts, particularly 2nd-3rd shifts.

Under normal driving it is perfectly fine and not noticeable but when driven with some gusto and shifting gears it does not engage gears and the shifter feels like its disconnected from the box itself and all that can be felt is the spring tension on the shifter. Also in 1st at around 6K rpm a small bumping sensation can be felt coming from the trans.

I have been told it could be a nylon bushing or something at the end of the selectors slipping? But not being a mechanic cannot take this for gospel....

Anyone out there have any better guesses/ideas. Could it just be shagged?

Easy fix? Chance of finding a new gearbox or cost of rebuild if required? I know its going to be a bitch to remove...

Thanks in advance for any input received.

Mike

Thanks.. Will give it some thought as to how to proceed. What would you think it be better/cost effective to do, replace or rebuild? And how easy is it to find another box to replace if need be...

Thanks again for your help Trent. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

O.K so I found a E154F out of a ST205 for $600 I could possibly swap it out with BUT.... Discovered the 2 following potential "issues"

1: The ST205 Box has a vehicle speed sensor on the box where as the ST215 box apparantly uses wheel speed sensors to determine vehicle speed.

2: The ST205 box uses a differential gear ring I guess because as above the ST215 doesn't use a VSS there for does not require one.

Taking these 2 points into consideration would this gearbox I have sourced from the ST205 still be O.K to use in the ST215?