Performance affect from Muffler Delete?

Aurion2Envy

Negligible either way.

Thanks for the reply, I just want to have a nice exhaust note but I don't want to lose any power because I'm focusing on 1/4 mile times, and I bought my aurion mainly because of how much I love how well these 2GR-FEs go in a mid sized sedan, would you have any recommendations?

would you have any recommendations?

For what?

Would it be better to go with muffler delete or changing rear muffler delete, and would I have less chance of losing power with muffler delete or some smaller rear mufflers?

Edit: Also what are some rear mufflers that have a good reputation on the back of an aurion?

Edited by Aurion2Envy

You shouldn't notice any decrease (or increase) in power from removing the rear mufflers, but it will be ridiculously loud, virtually all the time - So that could get annoying on long trips or when cruising. Do a YouTube search for 'Aurion muffler delete' and there's a number of videos available. Admittedly, they do sound nice without the factory mufflers, but you may end up regretting it when the novelty wears off. I'd be more inclined to remove the factory resonator in the middle of the exhaust and/or block off one of the mufflers and only have one doing all the work. This should give a nice growl that won't become annoying after the first 5-minutes of driving. Although if it's only sound that you're after then you can't go past an aftermarket air intake - It'll only be loud when you give it full throttle, but when cruising it's almost silent.

I unbolted the rear mufflers on my sx6 for 1 day.. The novelty wore off in about 2 hours.. Alot of drone inside the car.. Ive been thinking about removing the factory resonator and leaving the stock mufflers on but ive neva heard an aurion with that done to it (I dont want it stupidly loud).

I unbolted the rear mufflers on my sx6 for 1 day.. The novelty wore off in about 2 hours.. Alot of drone inside the car.. Ive been thinking about removing the factory resonator and leaving the stock mufflers on but ive neva heard an aurion with that done to it (I dont want it stupidly loud).

Here is a video of someone that did a resonator delete on their Aurion, I personally don't like it.

Here is a video of someone that did a resonator delete on their Aurion, I personally don't like it.

Hmm, yeah, way too raspy :mellow:

i almost got the resonator delete done yesterday but after watching afew videos I decided against it.. also found out the the aurion has 2 cats and 1 resonator and was thinking maybe delete 1 cat and the resonator.

yeah, I'm not sure what setup to go with either, I'd rather not get a muffler delete because I don't want a car that loud, I wish I could get something is quite tame sounding when just cruising and driving normally but when flooring it around has a nice roar.

Edited by Aurion2Envy

yeah, I'm not sure what setup to go with either, I'd rather not get a muffler delete because I don't want a car that loud, I wish I could get something is quite tame sounding when just cruising and driving normally but when flooring it around has a nice roar.

Varex mufflers would be ideal in that case, although they're quite pricey. A few Aurion owners have installed them in the past.

Would that mean you would you 2 varex mufflers at the back? what if you put a varex resonator and had no rear mufflers? would that work?

Yeah you'd need one on each side. You could theoretically just use one, but it would look silly with nothing on the other side. I personally wouldn't want to use one in the middle of the exhaust piping in place of the resonator as I'd imagine the flow would be far too restricted when the butterfly is closed, but someone also had that exact same idea in this thread, which makes for some interesting reading: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/15063-toyota-aurion-with-varex-mufflers/

• 3 weeks later...

So I've done a bit of research, but still I'd like to know how bad is the drone with a muffler delete? Is it something passengers would be easily annoyed about? Is it loud enough where you can't have a conversation?

Thank you for all your replies guys, I took my aurion down to my local exhaust shop and they recommend I replace both my rear mufflers with smaller "sports" mufflers, and they gave me a quote of $550 for parts and labour, does that sound reasonable? Also would 2 smaller performance mufflers at the back sound nice?

Thank you for all your replies guys, I took my aurion down to my local exhaust shop and they recommend I replace both my rear mufflers with smaller "sports" mufflers, and they gave me a quote of $550 for parts and labour, does that sound reasonable? Also would 2 smaller performance mufflers at the back sound nice?

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick exhaust noob question, is unbolting the rear mufflers easy to do, and reverse?

Its super easy mate, there are 2 bolts on each muffler to undo and the i think 2 rubber mounts to take off on each muffler.

Hmm I might give it a shot this weekend. Thanks for that.