Rav4 - Strange annoying tone

Talbit

I have a 2013 Rav4 diesel and at about the 100 through to 120 klm range there is a strange 1Khz(approx) tone that comes and goes for no apparent reason. I can hear it in the cabin but can't figure out where it's coming from. It's driving me nuts. I can't relate it to speed - except as mentioned above, direction or anything that makes sense. It's not coming from the radio or the airconditioner. I don't think it's got anything to do with the shape of the car because it just fades in or out and has nothing to do with wind speed or the weather! And I can't relate it to engine speed and engine strain. It happens going up or down hill. It only occurs within the speeds mentioned above (not sure what happens over 120klm). Very strange. I recorded it on my phone. Anyone have the same problem?

Cheers

Tabit

• 3 months later...

Okay figured it out... Yippeeee !!

During a recent trip to Perth we said we have to do something about this or we'll go nuts. To cut a long story short I wrapped gaffer tape around the brackets where the bolts attach the nudge bar and the sound disappeared. I checked it by removing the tape and it came back. There was a resonance set by the wind near or around the lower bolt mounts. It's probably only unique to my nudge bar because of something odd in it's shape of the bracket or the nudge bar.

Cheers

Talbit