Removing Sump Toyota Starlet?

dominover

Does anyone know what needs to come off to remove the sump on a Toyota Starlet Life 1999 model?

There is a leak coming from the curved part where the sump meets the engine. I first thought it was the rear crank seal but I have now replaced that and the leak is still there (frustratingly as this was a big job). I did everything right.

It's on the curve so I believe that this is the most common place for a leak. There is also a gash on the bottom of the sump where the previous owner has hit the pavement or a rock. This could have thrown out the sump positioning. Maybe just warped the seal. Does this happen?

Picture Attached.

post-37125-0-21281600-1450317855.jpg

I've now forgotton what else needs to come off to remove the sump? Has anyone managed to do this without removing the exhaust?

Thanks

I haven't removed the sump; however, I have removed the oil pump, which is at the curve and where it is most common to leak.

From memory, it looked like the exhaust needed to be dropped like many FWD Toyotas.

I haven't removed the sump; however, I have removed the oil pump, which is at the curve and where it is most common to leak.

From memory, it looked like the exhaust needed to be dropped like many FWD Toyotas.

Hmm. Thanks for replying. I think we're talking about the opposite sides of the engine. I'm at the rear just near the rear main seal. I think the oil pump is near the front crank seal if I'm correct? Let me know if I'm wrong.

• 1 month later...

Well, just for the record, the job is done now.  You need to drop the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold.  It has a reusable connicle casket so there's no need to go out and get a new one.  It just bolts straight back on and fits perfectly with no exhaust leaks. 

As for the sump, unlike some early model Toyotas, the Toyota Starlet sump comes straight off after undoing the bolts holding it on. It was quiet easy.

For a long time I thought I had a rear crank seal leak, despite the fact that I replaced it, and it still seemed to be leaking.  It turns out that it wasn't the rear crank seal at all, but the sump gasket was leaking.  I used gasket maker for that job. 

This type of sump must be susceptible to leaks around the curves both at the front (around the crank wheel) and the rear (very close to the rear crank exit point).  After fixing the sump leak there is absolutely no more leaks.  Very happy with the result. 

I might add that being a small car the sump sits rather low and maybe the scrape along the bottom of mine is an indication that the sump can move a little if it hits the ground (when doing something unusual in your car like straddling the gutter).  I have looked at several Toyota starlets before buying this one and they all had a leak which appeared to be coming from the rear crank seal.  It seems that it is equally as likely that those leaks could have actually been coming from the sump. 

I hope this helps someone.