CD player issue

Tony Prodigy

Seasons greetings to you all.

I had an unexpected issue where a CD was inserted and now won't eject. It wasn't an original CD but a CD/R type. Does this matter anyway ?

I press eject and it shows an error and simply won't come out.

Has anyone experienced this with the stock media player ?

How do I fix this please ?

My car is the GSV50 Oct 2012 Prodigy.

This is quite a common problem on the 06-11 Aurions & Camrys, so it doesn't surprise me it has happened to the GSV50 too. What's the exact error message the screen is displaying? It sounds like the CD has jammed inside the tray, likely due to some CD-R's being slightly thicker than regular CD's. The easiest thing to try is to remove your 'RADIO' fuse in your engine bay, or disconnect your battery for half an hour as this will reset your stereo and hopefully eject the CD. Failing that, you'll have to remove the unit and take the metal frame off to try and get at the CD. If it all turns to custard then at least you've still got your USB port ;)

Hey mate. thanks for your response.

I had a quick look at it this morning. When I press eject, there is a low level drrrrrrrr sound for approximately 10 seconds or so, then in the top left corner of screen reads "Disc Error".

That's it.

I'll try the Fuse/battery thing later today and get back to you ..

Cheers

Tony

After trying the battery/fuse trick, packaging tape on the end of a credit card, swiss army knife scissors.. etc, nothing seemed to work for me and so I had to CAREFULLY extract the entire head unit. It was really eating away at me and took the plunge as the final resort.

Thank God for google ! I wouldn't have had a clue how to remove it otherwise.

So I place the head unit on some bubble wrap on my desk and try to figure how to go about getting the CD out.

You have to remove some screws on the rear heat sink and then the top cover of the player pulls up and off to reveal the upper mechanical section.

Upon closer inspection it looks like the eject mechanism has failed or jammed 3/4 through its release motion and so I had to lift the central holding plate to release the disc.

So I put it all back in the car and wasn't game to put another disc in so I press 'eject' to see what happens and I still get 'DISC ERROR'. Does this come up because it's empty or is it stuffed completely ?

If it's no good, then I'll have to replace it at some point. Can I integrate and a better aftermarket cd player and still maintain the factory setup ?

How hard would it be to swap the head unit out from a Presara to the Prodigy ? I could do with the GPS too.

Is it expensive ? Are salvage items readily available ?