Ziggy's final curtain call

KAA

Good-bye David Bowie, The man who fell too earth is back in space with Major Tom, shocked sad thankful,

memories are forever and he has left me mine RIP David

KAA

:sad:

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that it's been a stark reality how most of our favourite artist have gone too early. Prince was another shocking loss in recent times. He never left a will, thinking he'd get around to it in his twilight years, and now all his so called relatives (vultures) are coming out of the woodwork to try and scam a bit of his estate. Shameful.

George Michael, Michael Jackson, Prince, and yes David Bowie (Robert)  just to name a few in recent years. He did a great job with his duet with Freddie Mercury with the song "Under Pressure", from the album "Hot Space". I'll never get sick of hearing that song. Freddie Mercury's loss was a huge one not only for the band, but for music too. Too sad.

Whitney Houston was a tragic loss in my opinion.

Her talent was protected and nurtured to blossom in the fullness of time. 

Rock'n'Roll is my era with so many talented artists who terminated their lives early with alcohol and drugs. 

Just now, campbeam said:

Whitney Houston was a tragic loss in my opinion.

Her talent was protected and nurtured to blossom in the fullness of time. 

Rock'n'Roll is my era with so many talented artists who terminated their lives early with alcohol and drugs. 

Oh yes, of course. I forgot about her. Memory isn't as it was.. Whitney was such a gifted talent and she succumbed to the drugs and alcohol. Same fate her daughter suffered too. Very tragic indeed.

I still have an Original copy of her 2nd album release "Whitney",  I purchased when I was around 16. It's still in mint condition.

I also have several other copies of her other releases including her debut album ( one of my favourites) on Japanese Vinyl with OBI strips. Highly collectable and sought after.

I must admit here that I am a collector of rare and other 1st press vinyl, and have many copies of Whitney's releases. It was a bug I caught when I was pretty young. Purchased my 1st Record in '82 with pocket money saved over many months. How times have changed.

Still buying vinyl to this day. One of my favourite hobbies actually.

3 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It was a bug I caught when I was pretty young. Purchased my 1st Record in '82 with pocket money saved over many months. How times have changed.

In my earlier working days, I had a great time each payday buying cassettes and LP's. After 6 months, it all came to a crashing halt when I could no longer pay the credit card bill in full. Removed the credit card from the wallet and reduced my spending until I was debt free. A hard financial management lesson that has stayed with me. 

I reckon that COVID-19 has exposed a lot of flaws, very disruptive. Interesting times ahead.

Right now, we can do with listening to some good music and having a dance in the lounge room while we are staying home.

Yes the days of going to a record store buy the vinyl and a plastic cover for it and a cassette, I would then clean the album record it and put the album away..I still have quite a collection in mint condition as i played the cassette till it died and then record it again..ahh memories..yes these days with all in lock down i have decided to go through my collection keep the rare ones i have and place others in a pile to pass around to family or friends who still have record players..i am shocked how my tastes have changed over the years as I go through the mass i have..but as we have nothing much else to do but wait a good time to do stuff forgotten or put to one side

Keep Safe All

KAA

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

In my earlier working days, I had a great time each payday buying cassettes and LP's. After 6 months, it all came to a crashing halt when I could no longer pay the credit card bill in full. Removed the credit card from the wallet and reduced my spending until I was debt free. A hard financial management lesson that has stayed with me. 

I reckon that COVID-19 has exposed a lot of flaws, very disruptive. Interesting times ahead.

Right now, we can do with listening to some good music and having a dance in the lounge room while we are staying home.

I also forgot to mention that I have quite the cassette collection too. I'm also into vintage HiFi and have collected some prime pieces from the 70s, some from the 80s including stereo receivers,Turntables, cassette decks and reel to reel machines. The golden era of HiFi. You'll be amazed how good a cassette tape can sound on the right equipment.. Reel to reel is even better for sound reproduction. Another hobby of mine besides everything else.

Staying indoors has had me pulling a few out, giving them a check over and clean, then carefully putting away. I love my vintage gear.

9 hours ago, KAA said:

Yes the days of going to a record store buy the vinyl and a plastic cover for it and a cassette, I would then clean the album record it and put the album away..I still have quite a collection in mint condition as i played the cassette till it died and then record it again..ahh memories..yes these days with all in lock down i have decided to go through my collection keep the rare ones i have and place others in a pile to pass around to family or friends who still have record players..i am shocked how my tastes have changed over the years as I go through the mass i have..but as we have nothing much else to do but wait a good time to do stuff forgotten or put to one side

Keep Safe All

KAA

I used to ride my BMX bike to my local shopping centre, leave it just inside the doors, (didn't have to worry about it getting stolen then).  purchase a record for the store and ride home. Innocent times and very exciting it was. I still remember the smell of the new vinyl when you just opened it and playing it for the first time ! Magic !

I too have been going through my collection Robert. I decided to re sleeve all my albums (haven't done them all yet) and store them in road cases. Purchased several hundreds of Archival quality blakes crystal sleeves, MOFI rice paper inners and storage cases. It's a time consuming process too, but necessary if you want your precious albums to stay minty.

My 7 year old did ask the question though.. "Dad, what are these ?"..... 

Albums are very special to me because they come from a time when things mattered and Artists put a lot of time into designing them. The artwork on some is just mind blowing. It's a lot nicer having something tangible and of value than the modern MP3 download garbage.This modern generation have no clue about sound quality. How times have changed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

modern MP3 download

Now listen to music via YouTube Video. Still focussed on Rock'n'Roll but re-appreciating the best of the '80s and 90's. Comments indicate some of the younger generation are rediscovering the music from their parent's time.

I have wondered what would happen if the radio actually played an original hit version then the re-released version by a current singer. Certainly give any marketing hype a good knockdown to reality. 

Also thinking that when an artist dies there is surge of media attention in all their past hits e.g. Michael Jackson 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, campbeam said:

Also thinking that when an artist dies there is surge of media attention in all their past hits e.g. Michael Jackson 

Yeah, that's just human nature. There some artists I never got into all that much and when they had passed (R.I.P.) I don't go about on a listening quest. It's pretty much those that I have followed since a little bloke that I'll always have that connection with. I don't mind the 60s era, but it was a little before my time, however, there are many great bands that set the scene for those to follow. When the 70's hit, music really hit its stride, then came the 80s, wow ! The 80s was my era being a young teenager and all.

I like most music genres these days, but it was mainly rock and pop music, with a dash of funk too. I also recall the rap/break dancing era too from the mid 80s. I used to break dance with my schoolmates during lunch break. :laugh:  Great times.

• Like 2

Well I never breakdanced but disco was my thing, was how i meet my wife..getting into the club early to avoid the cover charge..dancing all night..enjoying the group dancing and then home late up for work the next day to do it all over again..wonderful days..simple days..memorable days, things were easy life was long and days seemed forever..now..looking back with my wonderful wife beside me..the best days..we have been playing a lot of old music last few days to pass the time and remember those days..as we now have a life threatening virus haunting us all..let's remember what we are doing this isolation and social distancing for..so our children and grandchildren can experience days like we had..they will never know the innocence we had but they can at least have the endless days and the love for this beautiful country we all know and their own great music to remember

Keep Safe Keep Strong

KAA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1