oil catch can

8 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

I was poking around to see what auto specials were about today & look what I found ?  https://www.rycofilters.com.au/Crankcase_CatchCan

Big problem appears the filter is damn expensive, I have emailed SparesBox to ask if they're going to stock it & how much, currently best temporary price is @ Autobarn for $70 on special. Looks like a good system & Aussie engineered. Only other alternatives are a Universal Radium CC or a Saikou Michi which may also have a suitable unit for the 2GR-FE.

Which Ryco one are you looking at for the Aurion because there doesn't seem to be a specific one. I had a look on the website and Ryco have a universal one which I'm guessing would be suitable but can't seem to find it on Sparesbox or the others. I see the RCC350 on ebay but not the RCC351, whatever the difference is.

Yes, they are quite expensive and It would be nice if they offered the 'formed' hoses for a specific model. Straight cut hoses don't look factory when trying to bend them into position.

I have to say though, the Ryco catch cans have that factory look and also seem to be well made.I can also understand the price differential too as It's a product made through R&D using quality materials and not mass produced from China. (not knocking the Chinese products here either). Just saying.

I'll have a poke around and see what pops up.

It appears to be an universal type & the latest generation model they have is RCC351 or the Kit which is RCC351K (same with extras which may be useful). I have not studied it yet, I have not even looked at my PCV system to see if it needs one but the Ryco does look like a really nice setup. Biggest drawback is the cost of the filter, still waiting on an answer from SB about that.

My appreciation for this device just shot up a notch. After having seen a few videos on the detrimental effects on non catch can fitted engines, especially diesels, I reckon anyone who hasn't fitted one yet should do so. Especially if you own a diesel. We are being conned by the manufacturers and if you want your engine to stay clean and healthy you'd get one fitted. I know petrol engines don't suffer the same affliction the diesels do, but it's still beneficial to have one rather than not.

This video is an eye opener

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

This video is an eye opener

Yes, that YouTube video really makes the point why every diesel engine should be fitted with a ProVent oil catch can ASAP.

I will have to ask my son whether he has fitted one to his Nissan Patrol. Hence the reason for seeking out and looking at this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moy92KmN7A4

I did look at the ProVent catch can but could not find one with 3/8" or 10mm inlet and outlet openings. After looking at that video, I should have further considered an option of inserting the hoses into the openings as an alternative. A valid point is made about the amount of oil being collected and frequency of draining.  

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure this one is a copy of the Provent. I love how they write in the title... "for Provent" etc etc... Another example of how the Chinese Steal Intellectual property and go off to make and sell their own and undercut the companies who put millions of dollars into R&D and marketing only to have the rug pulled from under them.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Catch-Can-Filter-Separator-For-ProVent-200-Fit-Toyota-Ford-Nissan-Turbo-4WDs/273165494510?_trkparms=aid%3D1110012%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOIPOST%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200420083544%26meid%3D7c67432131c74564880ccd638104e590%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D273964926249%26itm%3D273165494510%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

If you need 3/8" you can always get the appropriate adapters and fit them at the inlet and outlets of the can then run your 3/8" tubing.

This is the real McCoy

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Mann-Hummel-Provent-200-Catch-Can-Air-Oil-Separator/272816894609?epid=28014257765&hash=item3f85277291:g:vt8AAOSwgsxaa~iS:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!2148!AU!-1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Problem with ProVent is no capacity to store catchment whereas the Ryco has 310ml otherwise a very similar design. Big problem with the Ryco is its size of 128x240mm which makes it difficult to place & access. Looks like Ash has positioned it in the best spot. Ryco kit model has hose reducers, smallest OD appears 0.5inch which is near enough to the 9mm on the Aurion or just try find some plastic reducers elsewhere to suit.

By the way, I just checked both breathers from the cam covers on my Aurion with about 41K kms, I checked using torch & a few cotton buds & it's virtually clean enough to eat your dinner off it with a very minor spot of colour change. It really is a tight fit this 2GR, I'm missing the simplicity & space afforded by the old 1MZ already :|

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

By the way, I just checked both breathers from the cam covers on my Aurion with about 41K kms, I checked using torch & a few cotton buds & it's virtually clean enough to eat your dinner off it with a very minor spot of colour change.

Sounds like your engine is in very good condition at 41K kms. I full expect that you would have been doing regular oil changes etc to prevent/minimise oil sludge from forming.

Fitting a oil catch can is more about preventative maintenance particularly to keep the air intake clean.

I am just thinking that the better the overall engine condition then less oil vapour into the PCV system and cleaner air into the combustion chambers etc. Outcome is an engine really performing at peak efficiency.

• Like 1

You may recall Ashley me pestering & asking you a few questions about this car before I bought it to be sure but one of the main reasons for wanting it more was because of how well it was looked after by the original owners, themselves petrol heads & ex Toyota staff. It never did the kms & so was serviced by the book @ every 9 months @ the selling dealer on the dot. That's super rare of people to do that, most are tight ****s always wanting to stretch it out as much as possible to save a $$.

I still like the idea of the catch can though, it's a filter for the air the engines re-breathes & so I'm with you on that. I also like the Ryco unit very much, I'll keep an eye on it.

You guys will appreciate this clip I came across the other day. It's our beloved 2GR & as you'd expect of an engine with a big blower on top it looks to have a catch can fitted also, next to the coolant overflow bottle which appears to be vented to air 😉

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

The other oil catch can from eBay arrived a few weeks ago. Ended up fitting it to my standby Aurion but still yet to do the hoses. 

Provided brackets worked quite well. Probably could do with a rounding of a corner to get a bit more adjustment. 

image.png.eb563eda4b47abfd3226b2eac975cca0.png  image.png.46c31c556ee7829803fe57002f075b0e.png 

image.png

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

A few weeks ago, I did a highway trip [approx. 70kms] to breathe some fresh sea air. The engine blew smoke after going downhill on an exit road. Not happy because I thought that this should not have happened. Last oil change was 2300 kms ago and that would be mostly short distance driving. When I opened the oil filler cap, there was noticable oil vapour/steam.

Finally after 12 months, I got around to removing the oil catch can today to check if there was actually any oil in the catch can. I was expecting very little oil in the catch can but facts are facts. Surprised at the amount of oil collected in the can. I estimate that it is approx. 1/3 cup or 80ml. Oil level in the side tube indicates that there should be more but I have filled most of the catch can with stainless steel wool as a final filter to condense any oil vapours.  In the picture, an inline filter is fitted on the intake hose between the valve cover and the catch can. 

Overall, I should not be too displeased with 80ml of condensed oil vapours in a 12 month period. It is definitely a lot less oil vapour being drawn into the intake.

1899641988_CatchCanOilLevel20210904.thumb.jpg.f878daa7b43235d7db7c74a0188d3077.jpg1766546270_CatchCanOil20210904.thumb.jpg.46572fb8a8e25b3e8c61d92a37fd87d0.jpg

3 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Interesting. Is there any oil in the line going to the intake ?

Good question for which I do not have a definite answer. I did not specifically check the hoses but I would say no. If there had been oil in the hose then that would have been sucked into the intake and there would be white smoke on startup. However there could be some oily residue in the line going to the intake.

Now that you have prompted some more thinking, I will remove that hose and give it a clean with some parts cleaner in a spray can.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:07 AM, ZZT86 said:

Interesting. Is there any oil in the line going to the intake ?

Such a good question that I removed and checked the hose today and there was some oil. Ended up flushing that hose with petrol to wash out any oil residue then refitting.  

9 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Excessive blow-by or as you have been trying to rectify what seems like forever, sludge blockages/buildup. Must be very annoying I'm sure, I feel your pain.

I love a challenge but I was not expecting an ongoing 6 year battle. I was more expecting frequent oil changes over 12 months so fitting the catch can is a worthwhile step to try and keep as much oil vapour out of the intake.

Certainly has been frustrating and annoying after feeling the triumphant joy of finally getting any oil sludge out of the engine. "Sludgy" keeps surprising me with her resilence to keep generating oil sludge from my mostly short distance driving. This time I am thinking [again] that "Sludgy" is on the ropes and going down for the count.

It looks like it will be some more months before I can have the good test of an interstate road trip to help desludge the engine and check out how my catch can setup with additional inline filters is working

6 hours ago, campbeam said:

I love a challenge but I was not expecting an ongoing 6 year battle. I was more expecting frequent oil changes over 12 months so fitting the catch can is a worthwhile step to try and keep as much oil vapour out of the intake.

I reckon your's would've been an excellent candidate for that BG engine cleaner stuff. You need an aggressive approach yet still be mindful of the seals. The last thing you want is to create oil leaks everywhere because the solvent has eaten its way through your seals. It's game over then. I had a read of that file you attached a while back on the 2GR-FE disassembly and I thought "what a nightmare". These cars are much more complicated than you think. 

6 hours ago, campbeam said:

"Sludgy" keeps surprising me with her resilence to keep generating oil sludge from my mostly short distance driving. This time I am thinking [again] that "Sludgy" is on the ropes and going down for the count.

😄Yep, the gift that keeps on giving hey Ash. There are so many nooks and crannies in there, I'm not surprised it's still offering up sludge particles. As long as it's at a point where you have effective oil pressure and VVTI system is functioning correctly, you can just learn to live with the odd sprinkle. The oil filter is really earning its keep.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

As long as it's at a point where you have effective oil pressure and VVTI system is functioning correctly, you can just learn to live with the odd sprinkle. The oil filter is really earning its keep.

Since last oil change using my overkill oil change procedure I have noticed a significant improvement in engine performance. Engine seems to have a more torque and quickly rev to 5000rpm. I would say that there is effective oil pressure and the VVTi system is functioning correctly. Looking forward to the next drive on the highway, possibly this coming weekend.

13 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Since last oil change using my overkill oil change procedure I have noticed a significant improvement in engine performance. Engine seems to have a more torque and quickly rev to 5000rpm. I would say that there is effective oil pressure and the VVTi system is functioning correctly. Looking forward to the next drive on the highway, possibly this coming weekend.

Good idea to strech its legs. Give it the "Italian tune up" too perhaps.. 😜

32 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Good idea to strech its legs. Give it the "Italian tune up" too perhaps.. 😜

The "Italian tune up" has been happening since the last oil change. Lot of the recent maintenance has been due to hesitation when accelerating at low speed. Idiot charged onto a roundabout just as I had just entered the roundabout to then turn left. Put the foot down and delayed response; not happy Jan.

Good stretch of the legs will be handy to help clean the engine internals that little bit extra.

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Idiot charged onto a roundabout just as I had just entered the roundabout to then turn left. Put the foot down and delayed response; not happy Jan.

Don't worry, we have those idiots here too. The sense of entitlement is getting ridiculous..