Throttle body removal and cleaning on Camry ACV40

heisennberg

Hi there,

I am the proud owner of a 2006 Camry Altisse Manual (ACV40R) that I bought used with low kilometres (only 70,000km) a year ago for a really reasonable price, and she has been really good to me so far.

The only problem is a low idle and associated shaking under load (especially putting the AC on makes my idle go from 800 rpm to 600+ rpm, which completely justifies the shaking).
On top of that, the accelerator is quite 'sticky' when coming from a complete stop (as you depress the accelerator pedal, the rpm stay constant for a couple of centimetre until you reach a point where tiny variation in the accelerator result in huge rpm differences). The car being a manual, that means that when taking off, there is a very finite line between almost stalling the car and taking off at 2000 or even 3000 rpm.

I bought the Haynes manual for the car and did a lot of research (including a lot of threads here). Everything seems to lead to dirty throttle body and/or Idle Air Control Valve (side question: does the ACV40, being completely drive-by-wire, even have such a valve ? I would imagine the ECU controlling the opening of the throttle body would make such a bypass valve redundant). I tried cleaning it while still attached to the car (removing air intake hose and spraying carb cleaner while keeping the throttle body open by putting a rock on the accelerator pedal), but it did not seem to help a lot.

I was therefore wondering if anyone could point me to a guide for throttle body removal and cleaning for the ACV40.
I know the throttle body gasket needs to be changed and already bought one from Toyota, but I really don't want to flush the coolant and I am really worried about those two coolant lines. I read somewhere that the best way is to remove the two coolant-hose and plug them while cleaning, but judging from the following link (http://forum.scionclub.ru/pdf/RM/RM0300U/Engine%20Control%20System.pdf, image A097781E01 page 388), it looks like there is a water port at the bottom of the air intake that could potentially leak out if I was to remove the throttle body without flushing the coolant.

Has anyone have experience with removing and cleaning those ?

Thanks for your help.