rav4 hard to start

perlubie

I have fitted a replacement motor 3S-FE to my rav4 6 months back and now the car is hard to start sometimes. I changed to fuel filter over a few months back and had to cut the fuel in line to get the old filter out. Some symptoms is the other day I drove the car home from town at 100ks/hour fine then all of a sudden the power dropped off and I could only get 45 ks/hour from it. I also noticed yesterday that the car idleing in the garage at normal idle then for some reason the revs built up to 1500rpm for no reason. Can anyone out there help me or tell me what to look for. I plan on pulling the fuel pump out of the tank today to see if there is anything wrong there. 

• 1 month later...

I have a 1994 rav4 that sometimes is hard to start. This is an itermitent problem. Some times the car will start straight away, but other times it just cranks over. I have tried turning the key on then putting my foot hard on the accelerator, the car then starts. We had trouble getting the bottom fuel pipe off so had to cut it then put a piece of hose in it's place. If I remove the air cleaner and spray start you barstard in there it starts every time. People keep telling me it's injector problems, some say it's sensor problems. Can anyone help me with this?

This is an ongoing problem. As I said in the past message we had to cut the fuel line to get the filter out. We have put a piece of hose in place from main fuel line to the filter. I have removed the fuel pump and replaced the gauze filter. I did find a what looks like a shielded cable behind the motor above the injectors. The outer shield was cut through but the inner two cables were joined and soldered. I have put a piece of wire across the shielded cable and now these are joined. When I try to start the car it tends to backfire through the air cleaner. If it does start it idles very slow and if I try to speed it up by putting my foot on the accelerator the car stalls. I need help urgently on this if possible.