Transmission shudder?

Aurionsx6

Hi guys

i was driving earlier and stopped at red light everything was ok then went to accelerate and this massive shudder happened like as if car kept getting stuck then go stuck then go quickly could hear the loud noise and the whole shook with it as well as steering wheel.

Lasted only about 3-4 seconds then disappeared and didn't happen again.

I'm scared... Is my transmission showing signs of its near death?!

:'(

No lights came up that was the first thing I looked for straight after that happened coz it scared the crap outa me thought the car was gona just die on the road,  and not sure but I don't think I lost traction...

I'm thinking hopefuly it's the inner cv joint/drive shaft. As it is leaking grease. That might also explain the clunk I hear at acceleration ...

is this plausible 

2 hours ago, Aurionsx6 said:

No lights came up that was the first thing I looked for straight after that happened coz it scared the crap outa me thought the car was gona just die on the road,  and not sure but I don't think I lost traction...

Aurions can be pretty aggressive with wheel hop, especially when the traction control intervenes as well.

1 hour ago, Aurionsx6 said:

I'm thinking hopefuly it's the inner cv joint/drive shaft. As it is leaking grease. That might also explain the clunk I hear at acceleration ...

is this plausible 

It definitely won't help the matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Trent,

Just another quick question...

When i floor the car it doesn't always get a big kick of power, sometimes just accelerates at a steady pace, car still speeds up just not with the power that it should...this is about 50/50 sometimes has power sometimes doesn't its weird...

is it the transmission not selecting proper gear or some engine issues, lifters etc..?

Anyone else experience this.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Trent but I disagree, my prodigy is no TRD but when you put your foot down it gets up and boogies, regardless of if its in drive or sport.

there has been a couple of times that it has had a less aggressive acceleration but it's not like it's driving miss daisy.

i have also found that my floor mats (stock Toyota and R.M.Williams deep dish) occasionally stop the peddle from going all the way to the floor.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 07Prodigy said:

Sorry Trent but I disagree, my prodigy is no TRD but when you put your foot down it gets up and boogies, regardless of if its in drive or sport.

I am not basing this my car only. I worked for a while with some fleet vehicles, that had almost the exact same feel to them.

It's almost like: press accelerator, pause, wait for the trans to decide on a gear...power.

I have a prodigy and it happens at times, unusual, generally responsive if I want to floor ir from a stoplight but at times if I've slowed to a giveway and then go its slugish. Could it be motion related in a traction control sense?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2016 at 10:39 AM, GruAncH said:

I have a prodigy and it happens at times, unusual, generally responsive if I want to floor ir from a stoplight but at times if I've slowed to a giveway and then go its slugish. Could it be motion related in a traction control sense?

Yeah it's mostly slugish when i floor it while still rolling, from a stop its usaully aggressive but sometimes if I slam the accelerator too quick (from a stop) my front tyres loose traction and the car shudders real bad for a couple seconds. 

Does this happen to anyone else? should it be loosing traction so easily ?

It's just the power of the engine getting passed to the wheels a lot faster than the traction control can kick in. Nothing to be surprised about.
The general response of the transmission can also be from what it's "learned" to do based on your driving style, apparently it's made to accommodate the driver. You can get the learning reset at a dealership, alternatively I haven't tried it myself but you could see if draining the power resets it too (disconnect battery,hold foot on brake to get the lights to drain any remaining charge from the system).

Now, regarding the original problem, I've started to have a similar thing pop up in mine. Only happened a handful of times, but pretty much come up to a roundabout, almost stopping whilst checking for traffic from the right, then release brake and go to accelerate and feel a crazy big thwack from the gearbox, not sure how to describe it, kinda like it got stuck changing between gears and when it finally moved there was a large amount of tension that was released in an instant, kinda like tightening up a spring then letting it go.
Hell worrying, but doesn't feel like there's been any issue to the general operation of the gearbox.

Blocked inline filter is the cause of  transmission shudder in 2001 Honda Accords. The transmission filter can get blocked after about 80,000Kms. Only real solution is to replace the transmission filter which involved removal from the vehicle and dismantling the transmission. Another sealed for life engineering decision that did not stand the test of time in the real world. Those Honda transmissions did not have a pan you could unbolt to access the filter but it did have a dipstick.

I have replaced the transmission filter in my 2006 Aurion which had done 165,000Kms. There is one bolt which is difficult to access due to a chassis cross member and then making sure the fluid level is correct else more problems.

If you knew a reputable transmission shop that is experienced in servicing the U660E transmissions, then strongly consider getting them to replace the transmission filter.

Also check the engine and transmission mounts to make sure they are are not broken or damaged. Quick check is to rev your motor and the engine should not move or very slight movement.

I have used Sikaflex to repair and reinforce the rubber engine mounts. Yet to do that on my Aurion but it is on the maintenance to do/check list.