Toyota Kluger 2013 KX-S Recommendations

bumperplates

Hi,

I've found a few 2013 Toyota Kluger KX-S models on car sales that I'm interested in buying, so I can join this exclusive Oh-What-A-Feeling club :)

What should I look at when buying these cars and would you recommend this model?

Do they suffer from any major mechanical problems that should be known when buying them? Do they burn a lot of fuel if the vehicle is mainly being used for short trips?

Should I also look at the models that were built in Japan, before it moved it's manufacturing to the US?

How does the third row seat spacing compare to the Toyota Kluger 2015 model?

Thanks in advance,

bumper

Please do yourself a favour...

Stay far away from the Kluger !

I owned the 2013 Altitude and then the 2008 Kluger Grande. These cars are terribly built.

Had issues with:

• intermediate steering shaft (check posts on here) - Many attempts to get Toyota to repair under TSB - they refused !
  • Diff / transfer case whine at 60km/h
  • Water pump went on the 2008 Kluger - cost almost $2000
  • Aircon issue - passenger side blows warm air (common)
  • FUEL - it drinks !
  • Bad turning circle - like driving a truck
  • Servicing and repairs at Toyota Stealership was unexpectedly costly for a Toyota.

Read some of the posts here - the best feeling was when I got rid of it (a.k.a sold it)

Most of my cars have been Toyota's and they were generally reliable but after the Kluger - no more !

I now enjoy the 4.0L Barra straight 6 in the 2006 Territory 7 seater - it still drinks but a much better drive and cheaper to have repaired.

Other cars are Mazda 6 Lux Sport and AWD Subaru Forester Wagon (even sold the RAV4 to get clean away from the Toyota brand)

The build quality of these 3 vehicles display how much more car you get for less than you would pay for a Toyota...

Hope this helps mate ! Wouldn't want you to go through the stress of driving a Kluger - like i did !

Edited by Mr Lee
To add something ...

Also drove my mates 2016 Kluger built in the US recently. I didn;t want to burst his bubble but they narrowed the car to make it longer... was not a nice drive - but by then the brand (for me) was tarnished

Wow! I thought the Kluger would be cheap to maintain! :(

I looked at an XC 90 2012 model, as I wanted the 7 seats, and found that way too expensive, especially when considering servicing, and parts.

i liked the Ford Territory, but the back bench seat is a killer for me.

What do you think I should do now?

What you consider a Prius V or are we saying NO to Toyotas all together?

In the grand scheme of things, would the issues be similar to what you found in your SUV with other like SUVs?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 2013 kluger KX-s in Oct 15 , not had a problem with it, had done 20,000 now just hit 30,000, goes well, comfortable, bit heavy on petrol but i guest you expect that with a 6 cyld. Happy so far.  

• 1 month later...

I have just a bought a new 2016 gxl awd and I absolutely love it,and also owned a 2007 kxs 2wd also a great car, but if i had to pick between the two cars i pick the 2016 model, the level of refinement  and handling and comfort is better,build quality is also slightly better on the new generation kluger, performance  wise the new kluger feels snappier and more responsive, not that the old one was sluggish,but you can feel the difference,fuel economy is too early yet too compare,being awd I think the new kluger will use slightly  more fuel.There is things I like about my old kluger better than the new one like the removable middle seat so you walk through  to the third and have the little tray in the centre, room there isnt really any difference between  the two i can see, both generation kluger are great cars, they have there faults, but so does every car,as for the territory they are not as good as the kluger full stop, they are rubbish  cars trust me,I have owned one , there probably  good to a 100000kms 5 years old andthen they just fall apart,literally, trim coming off, strange noises, mechanical problems,talk to any mechanic about territories  and they wont have a good oppinion on them.