Whats a good TV?

Romp

dont waste ya time with a tv mate.

get yaself a projector.

for the same money youll get an lcd projector with a 90 inch screen you can use ya computer/dvd/games system/foxtel anything really.

quality is just as clear and good as tv and its not like the old days where ya have to have a completely dark room. i was looking at some the other day and they had 6 lights running in the room plus two windows with direct sunlight coming in. only dimmed as much as a tv would with sun glaring on it.

when i was talking to the owner of this place he was telling how harvy norman and all the places that push plasma and lcd tvs are trying to boycot projectors and deliberatly use crap projector in there stores so people buy the tvs instead.

he reckons that being the projector is bigger screen and just as good quality and better priced that the harvy normans and makers of most of the plasmas will loose multi millions if everyone got projectors instead.

a 10k lcd/plasma tv is still no where near as bigger screen as a projector and the quality is the same.

anyway thats just my personal view. also if one pixel goes on a plasma the whole thing is stuffed lcd can be fixed i think. but if the same happens with a projector you just replace the globe for around $400 and its as good as day one.

good luck with what every you buy.

Biggest problems with projectors are: They great if your only going to watch movies on the odd occasion and want that cinematic BIG screen look!! If you are going to be using it for watching TV/using it with your PC then dont buy one!!! Reason being is that the "projector bulbs" have a life of around 10K hrs and with daily veiwing works out roughly 2-3yearslife max and then you have to buy a new "projector bulb" which is veryvery costly!! If you want to use the projector this way go for a cheap brand that is made in china, reason being the parts will also be cheaper to buy and replace. L.C.D Tv's are really over priced for what they are but it really depends on just how much you watch TV or watch movies or play playstation!!!LOL

*hmmmmm 4 grand huh....I can think of some serious performance parts that can be bought for that money!!

Biggest problems with projectors are: They great if your only going to watch movies on the odd occasion and want that cinematic BIG screen look!! If you are going to be using it for watching TV/using it with your PC then dont buy one!!! Reason being is that the "projector bulbs" have a life of around 10K hrs and with daily veiwing works out roughly 2-3yearslife max and then you have to buy a new "projector bulb" which is veryvery costly!! If you want to use the projector this way go for a cheap brand that is made in china, reason being the parts will also be cheaper to buy and replace. L.C.D Tv's are really over priced for what they are but it really depends on just how much you watch TV or watch movies or play playstation!!!LOL

*hmmmmm 4 grand huh....I can think of some serious performance parts that can be bought for that money!!

dont forget about some of the better HD plasmas as well ..

A bulb can be replaced for ~$200-500 depending on the brand and lifetime. A faulty sector in a Plasma screen cannot. Also plamsa and LCD screens have image lag which is most apparent when watching sport. projectors don't. as a compromise you could get a big screen rear-projection TV. But a humble CRT TV still wins in term os image quality though...

you can always get a decent size CRT and a project for that price range .... maybe be a little bit more ..

Then you would have best of both worlds...

massive screen when you want to ..

and normal screen for watching Neighbours .... (ummm not that I watch neighbours :) )

yeah i picked up my sony projector off ebay for like 1500 bucks over a year ago... its a little old so i need a darkened room but if you're spending 4 grand, then you can pick up an awesome projector that will play in a lit room...

the only problem is the lamp. i have been quoted $650 for a new lamp... its a 2000 hr lamp and ive done 1500 (bought with 460 on it). so bout 1000 in just over a year with... its expensive but its so great having a 300cm screen :P

yeah i picked up my sony projector off ebay for like 1500 bucks over a year ago... its a little old so i need a darkened room but if you're spending 4 grand, then you can pick up an awesome projector that will play in a lit room...

the only problem is the lamp. i have been quoted $650 for a new lamp... its a 2000 hr lamp and ive done 1500 (bought with 460 on it). so bout 1000 in just over a year with... its expensive but its so great having a 300cm screen :P

ended up with sony bravia 40inch lcd 8ms

its bloody cool

I had the Hitachi PJ TX-100 home theatre projector...(LCD)

sure its great for big screen viewing.. but they are no good as an every day replacement for a Plasma/LCD

For maximum enjoyment you need a completely dark room..

you need both.. PLasma/lcd and a PJ

there are alot more issues with projectors than big screen tvs as well

Colour uniformity, Bulbs cost anywhere from 300-900.. and most only have an expected life of around 2000Hours.. Panel degredation is an issue as well

DLP projectors can have rainbows and cause headaches for some people..

LCD doesnt have the blacks as black.. but still good none the less

Projectors can't be switched on just for 5 mins to check the news etc...

They need to be left on until they are completely warmed up (40mins - 1hour).. Then once switched off you cant turn them back on until they are completely cool (1-2hrs at least)

Agreed that nothing can compare to a projector for a big screen movie.. but they are certainly no replacement for your every day viewing

Once i get my own house it will certainly have a Home Theatre with a Projector.. but i will also have a plasma for everything else :)

sorry to go on and on.. but it had to be said.. if anyones got any questions id be more than happy to answer :)