Toyota Aurion Sportivo whining noise

rickles

Hi guys,

I recently bought an Aurion Sportivo. I didn't notice it when I bought it but the next few days after with the windows up and on a quiet road you can hear a faint whining noise, sort of like power steering noise. I had a second handy put in but its still there. I don't want to fix anything else unless I isolate the issue. On take off its clear but when you hit 60km's it sort of goes away & then when you pull up to the light's it's there again. Any thoughts? Has anyone had a similar issue?

Edited by rickles

What is "a second handy put in"?

I would start by checking the wheel bearings. Next step would be to check and clean the brake pads and rotors. No harm in checking the tyres and removing anything caught in the tread. Also best to check the steering rack, drive shafts and cv joints for any excess movement.

Check the power steering fluid level and the condition. If dirty, you could use a hand pump to remove the fluid from the reservoir and then replace with clean fluid.

How many kilometres on the odometer? If close to 160,000km , consider having the automatic transmission filter and fluid changed. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I would start by checking the wheel bearings. Next step would be to check and clean the brake pads and rotors. No harm in checking the tyres and removing anything caught in the tread. Also best to check the steering rack, drive shafts and cv joints for any excess movement.

It is very unlikely these will cause an issue when the vehicle is stationary.

• Like 1

Its does still whine while stationary so I've ruled out anything brake related & bearings so its definitely under the hood. Just had the idler Pully's done and that seem to have got rid of the bearing noise under the bonnet. All fluids changed. Funny thing the whine noise seems to be louder in the mornings cold start. Can alternators whine like a turbo when they are faulty?

Air con's not on. When it is it doesn't make any noise, just the whine noise as stated regardless of whether or not the air con's on. Good idea though

It really does sound the the power steering pump noise but the mech rekons he put a second hand one in. It's not extremely loud & i've been told that Aurions make a whine noise

because their front wheel drive but I thinks that might be bull****

On 29/07/2016 at 11:31 AM, Cam0101 said:

is the Air Con on when this sound is made?

I get a similar sound sometimes and when i turn the aircon off most of the time it goes away.

Air con's not on. When it is it doesn't make any noise, just the whine noise as stated regardless of whether or not the air con's on. Good idea though