Current Oil Specials

16 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Hahaha, and here I am trying to empty my garage. As tempting as it is, I'll have to sit this one out and start using up what I have left.

Just in AutoBarn yesterday to get a jerrycan on special. Chatted with the manager? who admitted to being a doomsday preparer watching lots of videos on that topic. Current world events are disrupting oil and petrol prices. It could possibly be some time before the next oil special. Something for further consideration. Hopefully I am wrong. 

I am sorry to report that I succumbed to the pressure of avoiding any further purchase of oil...:surprise:😜

I went ahead and purchased two more Nulon 5W-30 6LT and what made the deal even sweeter was a coupon for an extra $10 off that "Honey" found for me. So the total price for the two was only $69.98. 
Pretty darn good value and one that couldn't be avoided unfortunately. 

I will have to post mark these two with the purchase date so I can use the other ones first. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Haha, The Nulon 5W-30 6LT is cheaper than the 5LT version of the exact product. 

$39.99 for the 6LT

$48.29 for the 5LT

Hmmm, which one to choose.........:g:

6L is an annoying size for me as generally Corollas take ~3.5-4L, so a 5L bottle was always good for having 1L spare left over for top-ups/emergencies.  Although now that I think about it, if I get another 6L bottle then I would have enough for 3 full changes (I don't like leaving oil bottles half-full for really long periods of time though if I can avoid it, especially if I'm relying on it for a full change)

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Haha, The Nulon 5W-30 6LT is cheaper than the 5LT version of the exact product. 

$39.99 for the 6LT

$48.29 for the 5LT

Hmmm, which one to choose.........:g:

Yeah I got my extra 2 bottles, couldn't say no to 2 6L bottles for $80. Think I've definitely got enough spares for now, maybe not as much as you Tony by the sounds of it 😆

5 minutes ago, Hiro said:

6L is an annoying size for me as generally Corollas take ~3.5-4L

I hear you mate. Assume it's 4lt per oil change, purchase and stock up on 6lt size and have enough for 2 or 3 changes depending on how many you have on hand. Whatever you don't use, keep for top ups.

You get more for less with the 6lt

5 minutes ago, Squalled said:

Yeah I got my extra 2 bottles, couldn't say no to 2 6L bottles for $80. Think I've definitely got enough spares for now, maybe not as much as you Tony by the sounds of it 😆

Haha yeah, my Aurion is due for an oil change, so I'll be dipping into the stash very soon 😄

I'm currently in a garage transitioning phase and will be moving a lot of stuff around, so my oil stash will be unearthed soon lol.

I also wonder with the kaos over there in Europe and the spike in oil price, will we start to see our beloved oil specials eroded.. ??

On 3/12/2022 at 6:22 AM, campbeam said:

It could possibly be some time before the next oil special. Something for further consideration. Hopefully I am wrong. 

Brent crude has plummeted to under $100 in last 2 days from it's $130 highs, here's hoping it crashes some more 🙏

Edited by ZZT86

27 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Brent crude has plummeted to under $100 in last 2 days from it's $130 highs, here's hoping it crashes some more 🙏

Not sure on the effect of industrial oils, unfortunately our petrol prices are impacted much more by Singapore/Tapis than Brent so it might be a bit longer before the drop hits our part of the world (looks like Tapis tends to follow Brent fairly closely but always be more expensive relatively)

If the price of an EV6 dropped to well below $50K, I would seriously consider swapping my Aurion. Having said that, these EV's of today are too new for my liking & I love my Aurion so I'm hoping the cost of fuel drops back to it's usual $1.30-1.40/L.

ps: EV6 wait times are pathetic 😐

Edited by ZZT86
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2022 at 10:14 AM, Squalled said:

If there's one lesson to take away from being a DIY car guy, is that you should never pay full mug retail for motor oil or anything else that you may need. 

It's always prudent to either wait for the specials and stock up as necessary or seek out the best offers.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:17 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

I hear you mate. Assume it's 4lt per oil change, purchase and stock up on 6lt size and have enough for 2 or 3 changes depending on how many you have on hand. Whatever you don't use, keep for top ups.

You get more for less with the 6lt

It's weird how some Yota's consume decent amounts of oil, and others don't. literally every service, atleast on mine. I might get 40ml in the oil/air seperator, checking the dipstick, that bish be full still. Just usual crankcase vapour/oil that would have otherwise been burnt through combustion. I buy in 20L quantities because having 2 cars it doesn't last long 🤣

7 hours ago, TommyM said:

I buy in 20L quantities because having 2 cars it doesn't last long 🤣

Yep, even better Tommy if the grade you need comes in that quantity and when it comes on sale too.

2 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Yep, even better Tommy if the grade you need comes in that quantity and when it comes on sale too.

Yeah i'm sticking with the Penrite ENVIRO+ 5w40. Brilliant s**t. 

THIS is the cheapest I've ever seen this oil . . . . very tempting but I already have too much stock :shock:

AB.png

Edited by ZZT86

The amount of sales going on for Nulon lately makes me think they're either gearing up for a new product launch (and trying to get rid of old stock) or with the oil market volatility and state of the world the way it is as the moment they've every greatly over-estimated demand or have lost a significant amount of overseas customers and need to recoup sales/move excess product.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:50 AM, Hiro said:

The amount of sales going on for Nulon lately makes me think they're either gearing up for a new product launch (and trying to get rid of old stock) or with the oil market volatility and state of the world the way it is as the moment they've every greatly over-estimated demand or have lost a significant amount of overseas customers and need to recoup sales/move excess product.

Nice thought provoking comment.

I checked my last special purchase for Gulf Western 5W-30 oil back in March 2022 and it appeared to be old stock, a few years old.

I went to AutoBarn today to check out the latest Nulon 5W-30 oil special to confirm whether it was "old stock". Batch information indicated a 5th March 2022 production date.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

For the past 9 months, I have not seen an oil special that would tempt me. Not going to say exactly how oil that I already have on hand but assume 3-5 years supply and that has raised my temptation bar.

I have just gone into my local Autobarn store for their 2 day sale of 25% off. They had a clearance table for old shelf stock of engine oil. Ended up buying another 6 x 5 litre containers of synthetic engine oil at $15 each. At $3 per litre, this was just too much temptation for me.

I thought that I would mention this with EOFY coming soon and quite possibly your local auto stores may also have something worthwhile in their clearance bins as a bonus extra for their in store customers.

• Like 1