Aurion GSV50 - strut / sway bar compatibility?

Forumuser

Good evening all,

Recent owner of Toyota Aurion ATX (2013 GSV50 model).

Can't say that I have noticed any issues so far but I stumbled on this forum while reading about the car and I notice there are a lot of posts about front/rear strut/sway bars for better handling, but all of comments seem to discuss the GSV40 model.

I spent a long time searching the forum (and the internet in general) but I cannot seem to find an answer - does the GSV50 model still benefit from these upgrades? Are the GSV40 parts compatible with the GSV50 model?

I see "Ultra Racing Australia" being discussed a lot but when I visited their website the section for GSV50 models is totally blank/empty which does not inspire confidence . . .

Thanks! :smile:

The part numbers for the GSV40 factory swaybars are the same as the GSV50 swaybars (with exception to the Sportivo models which are slightly thicker, but will still physically fit). So I'd say that you'd have no problem fitting aftermarket swaybars designed for a GSV40.

15 hours ago, Full-Throttle said:

The part numbers for the GSV40 factory swaybars are the same as the GSV50 swaybars (with exception to the Sportivo models which are slightly thicker, but will still physically fit). So I'd say that you'd have no problem fitting aftermarket swaybars designed for a GSV40.

Thank you very much!

Do you know if Ultra Racing Australia are still the recommended vendor? Any alternative brands with superior products? I'm not going to be doing any street racing but from what I can see this (relatively inexpensive) upgrade improves handling significantly so it seems like a no brainer? Or am I missing something?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

I bought a rear Sway bar for my GSV40 from Ultra Racing with no probs, I was surprised to see the original bar is made from very light hollow tube no wonder body roll was an issue.

On 10/3/2016 at 8:06 AM, trentmeyer23 said:

Ultra Racing are known to be reputable.

Dollar for dollar, upgrading a swaybar is the best handling mod you can do.

Fitting an Ultra Racing Front strut brace made a noticeable handling improvement in my 1998 Camry and that was after upgrading the front and rear struts and heavy duty springs. The Aurion already has some front strut bracing so not high on the list at the moment.

Looks like I will now have to consider upgrading the rear sway bar to reduce body roll especially if the original is a hollow tube. 

17 hours ago, mg85 said:

I bought a rear Sway bar for my GSV40 from Ultra Racing with no probs, I was surprised to see the original bar is made from very light hollow tube no wonder body roll was an issue.

Nothing wrong with hollow tube for a sway bar, most torsional stress is carried in the outer few mms of a circular cross section so significant weight savings can be made for minimal strength loss by going to a hollow tube.  There are other costs/negatives though, such as the added complexity of designing the blades as well as higher stresses, but depending on your intent these are either important or irrelevant.

For example

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/Hollow vs Solid Swaybar.pdf

A solid 24mm diameter sway bar has the same torsional stiffness as a 25.4mm OD hollow tube w/ a 4mm wall, but the hollow tube is ~40% lighter for a negligible overall size increase (1.4mm diameter).

The sway bar I took off the car was no where close to 4mm wall thickness, my point was it is way to light for the job it was supposed to be doing.

32 minutes ago, mg85 said:

The sway bar I took off the car was no where close to 4mm wall thickness, my point was it is way to light for the job it was supposed to be doing.

I know, it was purely an example, the point being that weight alone isn't a good indicator of torsional stiffness