Curious as to why the 40 series and 50 series Aurions have a different service interval

nushydude

Hi,

I have a 2007 Aurion AT-X, which has a service interval 12 months or 15,000 km. 

I just learned that the newer (2012+) models have a service interval 9 months or 15,000 km. 

I am just curious why that is the case. Anyone can enlighten me? 

The GSV40 Aurions are 6 monthly and 7,500km services as per the service and warranty booklet. Not sure where you got 12 months and 15,000km from.

The GSV50 is 9 months and 15,000km; once again as per the service and warranty booklet.

There is no chance whatsoever that I would let the 2GR-FE engine go over 6 monthly and 7,500km services due to its well known sludging issue. I stuck with 6 monthly and 5,000km servicing whilst we owned ours.

I don't know the reasoning behind the extended intervals, but I have a feeling that costs may be an influence.

6 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

The GSV40 Aurions are 6 monthly and 7,500km services as per the service and warranty booklet. Not sure where you got 12 months and 15,000km from.

This is straight out of the service and warranty booklet in my car.

I belong in the first category - at least at the moment, so I don't have to service it as often.

RdIbg4O.jpg

But I don't know about the issues of this engine as some of you here do, so I am glad to hear about everyone's recommendation and experience.

Edited by nushydude

The facelifted gsv40, which i currently own, demands service intervals of 9 months or 15000km, whichever comes first. Toyota seemed somewhat reluctant to extend the service intervals with the earlier models. However, i still restrict the intervals to 9 months but not exceeding 10000km for safe measure.

12 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Every 10k or less with a quality Full synthetic oil is fine

Any recommended brands/series of such engine oils?

And also what about the oil filter? Any recommended brands/series there too? 

2 hours ago, nushydude said:

And also what about the oil filter? Any recommended brands/series there too? 

I use the genuine filter with Castrol Edge 5w30. Not the best oil out there, but for the regular discount that around for it, you cant complain. Engine enjoys this oil it seems.

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Every 10k or less with a quality Full synthetic oil

Better to service your vehicle more regularly. Modern engines have smaller oil galleries and place higher demands upon oils.

A while ago, I bought my October 2006 Aurion with the known issue of blowing smoke on start-up. Eventually learnt that it was caused by accumulated engine oil sludge and the PCV Valve was also blocked. This can easily be attributed to poor maintenance from overdue oil changes and use of low specification oil. I am DIY so I have done multiple oil and filter changes to get rid of the oil sludge rather than remove the valve covers for a thorough clean.

My driving is mainly short distance <20 minutes so this contributes to oil degradation and potential for oil sludge formation. Consequently, I do an oil and filter change every 5,000 km.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nushydude said:

I select the higher specification oils  i.e. SN on special at SuperCheap, AutoBarn, Repco etc. 

Attachment details the differences in oil specifications.

Engine Oil URLs and GR4 GR5 Performance Comparison.doc

I 've been using NULON Full Synthetic 5W-30 in my SX6 and have been very happy with it.

For one thing it's full synthetic and comes in a handy 6 litre container that suits the Aurions' 6.1 litre capacity perfectly, (that includes a new filter of course).

Always seems that the 6 litres fills to just overfull by 3-4mm on the dipstick and stays that way until it's time for the next change!

Also SuperCheap regularly runs specials on it at around $45 for the large 6 litre container which is good value.

I've noticed the engine seems to run smoother than my previous oil,(which was a Valvoline Semi Synthetic).

0000584_nulon-5w30-full-synthetic-engine-oil.jpg  

Mikhale and I are on the exact page on this one.

I too have been using the Nulon oil and am very happy with it so far. Funnily enough, as you mentioned Mikhale, the engine does seem smoother, especially on start up. I thought I was only imagining this. 

I recently stocked up with a few 6lt bottles due to the recent discounting and the 6lt does get it to the top of the dipstick ( with new oil filter)  despite the 6.1lt spec the manual calls for.

I always replace the oil filter on each oil change, as we should.

Happy days guys !! :thumbup1:

21 hours ago, Noodle Boy said:

I use the genuine filter with Castrol Edge 5w30. Not the best oil out there, but for the regular discount that around for it, you cant complain. Engine enjoys this oil it seems.

Hi Tony,

Castrol Edge A3/B4 is good oil exceeding the engine specs and fully synthetic

Some reliable oil specification explained in the PDF attached. Much of discussions such as oil quality that comes from forums is anecdotal at best I always go to the horses mouth so to speak for info to make a decision. Sure we have our favourites but what are we basing our decisions? Its sure not science it's advice so best to get the right advice to start with ay.

11 hours ago, campbeam said:

I select the higher specification oils  i.e. SN on special at SuperCheap, AutoBarn, Repco etc. 

Attachment details the differences in oil specifications.

Engine Oil URLs and GR4 GR5 Performance Comparison.doc

GR5 is for 2011 vehicles or older http://www.oilspecifications.org/ilsac.php

2014-07-Understanding-Engine-Oil-Designations.pdf

1 hour ago, mg85 said:

Hi Tony,

Castrol Edge A3/B4 is good oil exceeding the engine specs and fully synthetic

Some reliable oil specification explained in the PDF attached. Much of discussions such as oil quality that comes from forums is anecdotal at best I always go to the horses mouth so to speak for info to make a decision. Sure we have our favourites but what are we basing our decisions? Its sure not science it's advice so best to get the right advice to start with ay.

GR5 is for 2011 vehicles or older http://www.oilspecifications.org/ilsac.php

2014-07-Understanding-Engine-Oil-Designations.pdf

I suppose it's good oil, given its crepitations and the fact that I have been using it for quite some time on the Aurion and Corolla. What I meant is that it doesn't compare with the likes of Mobil 1, Motul or Royal Purple which are scarce and sold at a premium over the Castrol.

I don't have any reservation on using Castrol oil or other similar types. I actually use only Castrol oil on My E36 M3 as this is the recommended oil By BMW.

My main gripe is that you can't get those in a 6lt as you can the Nulon. And Nulon does provide better value for money than the nearest competitors.

Castrol don't have 6lt containers, only 5lt, and for the extra 1 lt, you have to shell out an extra $20 or bucks... You're pretty much over a barrel if your engine needs  6+ litres of oil.

**The GF-5 SN standard is the latest and highest standard and has yet to be superseded, so I wouldn't panic about using this oil in 2011 plus vehicles.

Based upon reading various articles about engine oil, I have come to the conclusion that engine oil quality and performance is dependent upon the base oil quality and additive package used by an oil manufacturer.

Furthermore, engine oil only needs to be replaced when it becomes contaminated and/or additive levels have decreased so that the oil is no longer providing the required levels of engine lubrication, protection etc.

Therefore, as an end user, it becomes a balancing act between choosing premium quality oils that support longer service intervals or acceptable quality oils [still meeting vehicle manufacturer's requirements] with shorter service intervals that are suitable for your vehicle's engine [low vs high mileage] and driving conditions [urban vs highway].

Personally, I am "price-sensitive" so buy GF-5 / SN specification oil when it is on special at SuperCheap, AutoBarn, Repco etc.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I don't have any reservation on using Castrol oil or other similar types. I actually use only Castrol oil on My E36 M3 as this is the recommended oil By BMW.

My main gripe is that you can't get those in a 6lt as you can the Nulon. And Nulon does provide better value for money than the nearest competitors.

Castrol don't have 6lt containers, only 5lt, and for the extra 1 lt, you have to shell out an extra $20 or bucks... You're pretty much over a barrel if your engine needs  6+ litres of oil.

**The GF-5 SN standard is the latest and highest standard and has yet to be superseded, so I wouldn't panic about using this oil in 2011 plus vehicles.

At the risk of pointing out the elephant in the room Tony, why don't you just buy 2 5Lt containers if your engine uses 6+ litres or am I missing something?

47 minutes ago, mg85 said:

At the risk of pointing out the elephant in the room Tony, why don't you just buy 2 5Lt containers if your engine uses 6+ litres or am I missing something?

I see your point. Yes. 

You can buy 2 x 5lt containers, but you'll pay 2 times as well. I realise you can save the remaining 4lt for the next service, for which you are bound again to purchase another 5 lt until you've exhausted the initial  2nd bottle. Then you have to start all over again and buy 2 lots up front.

The Nulon comes in a 6lt. Mikhale posted a photo of the 5 litre bottle. Believe me, there is a 6 litre.

See what I mean ?

When it's on special like the rare times they are, you can indulge in a multi purchase without wallet damage, but when it's not on special it doesn't help.

The Advantage with the Nulon product is that it is as good as the Castrol product, you get what you need and you pay much less.

Why don't the oil manufacturers just start offering their products in 6lt capacities ??

Modern cars are 6 and more litres nowadays anyway. They do this on purpose to get us hooked and buy more. 

Edited by Tony Prodigy

I heavily stock up on the Castrol Edge when the heavy sales come about. I have like five 5ltr bottles which I'll eventually need on both my Aurion and Corolla. It comes down to you if you want to have multiple bottles sitting in the garage.

Yes I agree with the two Tony's, stock up on your favourite oil when they come on special and if it comes in the 'Aurion  handy' 6 litre bottle then all the better.

Also thanks goes to Tony Prodigy for his photo of the 6 litre NULON bottle as I was too lazy to go out to my garage and take a pic' of mine!

I've noticed some other Oils doing 6 litre packs but not many, and not all year around like its just a special promotion, (and not the norm like it should be).

SuperCheap and AutoBarn also have oil specials which started Boxing Day.

Already have lots of oil but went to AutoBarn today and got 2 x 5litre bottles of Castrol Magnatec10W-40 which is the latest SN specification [over 50% off]. Most likely back to AutoBarn for another 2 bottles Saturday.