LED Spot Lights

Stevie29

• 1 month later...

How did you go Stevie? 

I'm semi rural too and about to chuck a light bar on but I am wondering about picking up the high beam feed with the dust covers in the way. 

The US forums don't help because they seem satisfied with a HID or LED upgrade to the standard lights. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cal77.

Had some medical issues so have put this project off for now. But not sure I am confident enough to do it, while I was comfortable with all my old (pre computer) cars, I am hesitant to fiddle with modern car wiring. My son pot a third party radio in his 2004 Polo and completely stuffed the engine immobilizer.

Will research and study a bit before attempting it.

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit late to the party but a few months ago I installed a light bar on my XV50 Camry. Hasn't caused any issues due to the pretty simple wiring. Just installed a relay which is activated by one of the high beam wires.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

rad000, may I ask where / how you mounted the light bar  ? I have a 2014 asv50 Atara SL and don't know exactly where to install a light bar. Maybe a 600mm double row would be the ideal one for me. I also have a 2016 Atara SL which has the adaptive radar behind the toyota logo emblem and I think a light bar would interfere with the radar function.

Edited by TIDYWAZZA

On 5/16/2017 at 4:52 PM, TIDYWAZZA said:

rad000, may I ask where / how you mounted the light bar  ? I have a 2014 asv50 Atara SL and don't know exactly where to install a light bar. Maybe a 600mm double row would be the ideal one for me. I also have a 2016 Atara SL which has the adaptive radar behind the toyota logo emblem and I think a light bar would interfere with the radar function.

I've got one of those brackets/bars that mount where the number plate is. Looks a bit country spec but does the job. Bracket is on the stock holes, with 2 extra holes drilled a bit lower to mount the number plate for visibility. The extra holes would be hidden by the number plate if I were ever to remove the bracket. 

Not sure about the radar part. I've just got an Altise so no radar. 

I made a video a while back if you wanted a better look. I feel like I should acknowledge that my wiring looks ghetto as. Links in the description:

Edited by rad000
video link change
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. I never thought of the number plate  light mount bracket. Unfortunately your video is not visible to me. Did you bolt the bracket to the bumber bar using nuts from behind the bar or just use self tappers same as the original number plates were screwed on. 

Edited by TIDYWAZZA

17 minutes ago, TIDYWAZZA said:

Thanks for the info. I never thought of the number plate  light mount bracket. Unfortunately your video is not visible to me. Did you bolt the bracket to the bumber bar using nuts from behind the bar or just use self tappers same as the original number plates were screwed on. 

Ah sorry, changed the link now so should work. I just used the same screws that came with the car. The extra 2 screws I used were similar screws I had lying around.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TIDYWAZZA said:

Great job !  Very clear presentation of the mounting position, wiring and results showing improved lighting. Thank you for inspiring me.

Thanks Wazza, appreciate it!

Hi rad000,

Great video, I did not realize it would that easy and never thought of the bar I was going to just drill holes on the little flat bit above the number pale.

Your way is far better and removable later if needs be.

Only change I will investigate is a switch on the dash.

Thanks for sharing.