TRANSMISSION FLUID LV 4L $36

krigeroz

I went out to the garage just now and dug out my wesil transmission service kits and I can see no O-ring on the filter neck. I'm assuming this is where the O-ring goes ?

The kit comprises of the filter and gasket only.

20201011_070809.jpg

20201011_070757.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Ah yes OK. I remember watching a video where a guy had the parts ready to go and he couldn't place where the o-ring went and he assumed it was for the straw. That was my recollection.

I'll have to check later should the filter kit come with the o-ring ? It's been a while and I can't remember.

hahaha yes Ash. You know me too well lol. I have learned the hard way. I promise to be gentle on this one.

Some filter kits come with the o-ring and others don't. Wesfil kit [5 years ago] did not include it so I ended up re-using the o-ring. I am sure that the smaller o-ring that comes with the engine oil filter cartridges is the same size. 

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'm gonna go the whole hog and do the full flush Adrian, just like you did. It makes sense to do it if I'm planning to spend the whole day on it. 

I was thinking to do this first major flush, then do an annual pan drain going forward.

Good idea to set aside a whole day. A full flush only took me less than an hour [without changing the filter] but I had previously loosened that troublesome bolt. With the car up on ramps, i had plenty of working room to manoeuvre off the transmission pan. 

A major flush is going to replace 100% the ATF. I have recently calculated that 4-5 pan drains at say weekly intervals will get very close to fully refreshing the transmission with new ATF. It also explained why some transmission shops [according to internet posts] do a pan drain, drive the vehicle to circulate the ATF then do another pan drain. Transmission should then have about 75-80% new ATF and 20-25% old ATF. 

I have been doing lots of pan drains in the last 5 years after replacing the filter. Makes sense to me to remove some of the used/contaminated ATF and to refresh the additive package. Next year I am planning on dropping the transmission pan to check/replace the filter so will then see if there is any noticeable "built up material" on the bottom of the pan especially around the magnets.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

Some filter kits come with the o-ring and others don't. Wesfil kit [5 years ago] did not include it so I ended up re-using the o-ring. I am sure that the smaller o-ring that comes with the engine oil filter cartridges is the same size. 

That's weird. Would it kill them to add the O-ring ?? I'd happily pay the 25 cents it would cost them, sheesh !

I'll check the O-ring in the oil filter kit too Ash. Thanks for that.

I was going to do the flush via the supply and return lines. What's the best plan of attack, pan drain, replace filter, refit drain pan and then proceed to flush cycle then fluid level adjustment ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I was going to do the flush via the supply and return lines. What's the best plan of attack, pan drain, replace filter, refit drain pan and then proceed to flush cycle then fluid level adjustment ?

I did the flush on my project Dec.2008 Aurion Prodigy [has 109K on the odometer] via the return line which is the line where the ATF flows from the radiator cooler back to the transmission. I was refilling the transmission with the new ATF using a funnel and hose to the refill hole on the upper side of the transmission. Refill plug is 24mm. Basically the same as when I did my 1998 Camry transmission which has a dipstick.  Toyota Camry ATF Transmission Fluid Flush.docx

Same sequence with the additional/unmentioned step of cleaning the pan before refitting. 

• Thanks 1

I'm hoping to do my transmission flush this Saturday. 

Psyching myself up by watching some videos to get my head around it again and to get quantity sorted. According to one source, a flush took around 10.5 quarts (almost 10 lt) so I'll need to buy more. The 8LT I have probably won't do it.

Will prepare all the apparatus and tools this afternoon so I don't waste time dilly dallying around tomorrow.

Edited by Tony Prodigy

Just to be on the safe side I'm purchasing more ATF.

Repco have 25% off the Penrite LV if anybody needs some. ($36.39 ea) The rest are asking $50 a pop.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/search/?text=Penrite+ATF+LV+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+4+Litre

I'll get 3 more so my total count will be 20 lt. Enough for two flushes I reckon.

Sounds like good fun Tony 🙂 Just crossed my mind, something I noticed when I did mine. I might have mentioned it when I documented my work here, but here it is: when doing the 1l in /1l out flush don't wait 'til the fluid pouring out of the hose in the measuring gets to the 1l mark, but turn the engine off when it gets to around 800-850ml, give or take. After turning the engine off there'll always be some residual fluid flow, you need to account for that. It's not critical to be dead on, just around the ballpark because you'll be doing the fluid level check after the flush. You will, won't you? :)))

1 hour ago, AurionX2 said:

Sounds like good fun Tony 🙂 Just crossed my mind, something I noticed when I did mine. I might have mentioned it when I documented my work here, but here it is: when doing the 1l in /1l out flush don't wait 'til the fluid pouring out of the hose in the measuring gets to the 1l mark, but turn the engine off when it gets to around 800-850ml, give or take. After turning the engine off there'll always be some residual fluid flow, you need to account for that. It's not critical to be dead on, just around the ballpark because you'll be doing the fluid level check after the flush. You will, won't you? :)))

I've made myself some crib notes of the steps and I've been re watching some video to refresh my memory. Everybody has a different way of doing it but we all get the same result in the end anyway.

I'll report my service work when I'm done.

Picked up 3 Penrite ATF LV this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised that Penrite have actually remodeled the container and added a bonus flexible pouring spout. I was a little chuffed by that. Not only do you get it for a great price, they even spoil you a little. Nice one Penrite.

20201016_164149.jpg

20201016_164202.jpg

Nice of Penrite, though you'll refill through the wheel well and may have to extend the funnel with some 1/2" hose. I couldn't use the extensible funnel I have for refilling the U660E, just not enough room. Let us know how you did it.

Edited by AurionX2

16 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Penrite have actually remodeled the container and added a bonus flexible pouring spout.

Nice touch. As you say, it is a bonus pouring spout. I do not have a fluid transfer pump so use a plastic funnel and a length of plastic hose which is fed down through the engine bay near the battery to the side of the gearbox. Then more fun maneuvering the end of the plastic hose into the filler hole. Advantage is that all of the ATF poured into the hose goes into the gearbox. 

5 hours ago, AurionX2 said:

Nice of Penrite, though you'll refill through the wheel well and may have to extend the funnel with some 1/2" hose. I couldn't use the extensible funnel I have for refilling the U660E, just not enough room. Let us know how you did it.

It wasn't designed for the U660E obviously, a more generic application and more for those who do have a transmission dipstick. I used it to fill my Tom Thumb fluid transfer bottle. So much easier than trying to keep a funnel from tipping over.

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

Nice touch. As you say, it is a bonus pouring spout. I do not have a fluid transfer pump so use a plastic funnel and a length of plastic hose which is fed down through the engine bay near the battery to the side of the gearbox. Then more fun maneuvering the end of the plastic hose into the filler hole. Advantage is that all of the ATF poured into the hose goes into the gearbox. 

That's how I've done mine, with the funnel attached to the bonnet strut 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 4:54 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

Just to be on the safe side I'm purchasing more ATF.

Repco have 25% off the Penrite LV if anybody needs some. ($36.39 ea) The rest are asking $50 a pop.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/search/?text=Penrite+ATF+LV+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+4+Litre

I'll get 3 more so my total count will be 20 lt. Enough for two flushes I reckon.

Repco Cyber Monday Sale has 25% off online only. Penrite ATF LV 4L now at $36.75

Bunnings has been selling the Valvoline range of products for a while. https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/tools/automotive/lubricants

I have recently looked at the detailed specifications for the various ATF including Valvoline Maxilife. Decided to keep staying with Penrite LV.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/13/2021 at 8:52 AM, campbeam said:

Repco have a weekend sale which includes 30% off transmission fluid. 

Price is $36.40 for 4 litres of Penrite ATF LV 

https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-fluids/engine-oils-fluids/transmission-fluid/penrite-atf-lv-4l-atflv004/p/A9614765 

Latest Repco catalogue out today.

Same special price of $36.40 for 4 litres of Penrite ATF LV 

https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-fluids/engine-oils-fluids/transmission-fluid/penrite-atf-lv-4l-atflv004/p/A9614765

• 1 month later...

Off topic but has anyone put a transmission cooler in? I have bought one some time ago & want to fit it soon. Do you add more oil for the extra capacity of the cooler? 

Edited by Sleeperau1
change

15 minutes ago, Sleeperau1 said:

Off topic but has anyone put a transmission cooler on? I have bought one if you have do you add more oil for the extra capacity? 

I have done the preparation research and already have coolers and inline filters on hand but yet to fit to fit them.

Definitely have to add extra ATF for the extra capacity. Almost an essential to know the procedure for checking the transmission fluid level. An interim workaround would be to fit and then fill the transmission cooler before fixing the return line to the transmission. 

On 2/13/2021 at 8:52 AM, campbeam said:

Repco have a weekend sale which includes 30% off transmission fluid. 

Price is $36.40 for 4 litres of Penrite ATF LV 

Another Repco weekend sale ending Sunday 9th May which includes 30% off transmission fluid and also coolant. 

• 2 months later...

Another Repco weekend sale ending Sunday 1st August includes 30% off transmission fluid and other specialty fluids. 

Price is $36.40 for 4 litres of Penrite ATF LV.