engine problems

Thinedge

Im having trouble with starting my Hi Lux 2006. 6 months ago I replaced the starter motor, now Im having the same problem I have lights, fan, radio, everything but not even a sound when I try to start it .I dont want to buy another starter so is there a test I could do to see if it is something else .Also when I turn the ignition on the lights dont fade and the fan stays on that same speed

Thank you in advance   

Edited by Thinedge

Grab a multimeter and see if you are getting voltage to the starter at all while the key is turned.

You can bench test starters with a car battery and some jumper leads to confirm it is functioning correctly.

I did the old trick of using a screwdriver across the starter motor and all it is doing is spinning and not engaging. Why would it not spin when I turn on the ignition   

If it is just spinning and not throwing out you could have a starter issue, bench test if this is suspected.

If it is throwing out, you could have damaged ring gear teeth. Remove the starter and manual turn the engine over by the crank pulley, inspecting the teeth as you go.

If it is not responding when the key is turned, you will need to check all fuses and relays in those circuits. There may also be an issue with the ignition switch or damaged wiring.

On 1/4/2017 at 1:13 PM, Thinedge said:

Im having trouble with starting my Hi Lux 2006. 6 months ago I replaced the starter motor, now Im having the same problem I have lights, fan, radio, everything but not even a sound when I try to start it .I dont want to buy another starter so is there a test I could do to see if it is something else .Also when I turn the ignition on the lights dont fade and the fan stays on that same speed

Thank you in advance   

Hi mark, Did you replace it yourself or did a workshop do it for you ?

So it was all fine up until now. Trent has offered some good tips on what things to check.

I'm unsure of your mechanical/electrical ability so please don't be offended.

Sounds like the solenoid is faulty. 

If the car is an automatic, could it possibly be an intermittent fault on the neutral safety switch ?