2006 Camry Possible Timing Chain Problem.

robbio3000

Timing chain has maybe gone in my 2006 4 Cyl Camry. Mechanic who diagnosed it did $800 worth of other repairs first which didn't fix the problem (car won't start), has finally discovered there is no compression in the engine and has diagnosed this as the problem. Any Toyota mechanics out there have any other suggestions or ideas ?

If it is the timing chain, is it even worth fixing or should I  cut my losses and wreck the car ? 

Don't scrap it immediately. Request a cylinder leak down test be done first of all, this will identify exactly where it is losing compression.

Has the mechanic given and indication of what has "gone", i.e. chain broken, tensioner broken, etc.?

I would seriously consider a different mechanic.

• Like 1

I absolutely need a new mechanic, this guy was a clown. Was watching youtube videos on his phone to figure out how to replace the camshaft sensor ! (Which it turns out didn't even need replacing)

I'm just tired of throwing away more good money after bad on this thing to not have the problem fixed. But will look at getting it to another mechanic to have the valves tested :)

9 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Request a cylinder leak down test be done first of all, this will identify exactly where it is losing compression.

This is what needs to be done first to identify where to further investigate to confirm what part/s really need to be replaced.

As you have discovered [at your expense] guessing can be expensive and still not fix the problem.

In hindsight, Best to find a mechanic that has had experience with your model Camry engine and can properly diagnose the underlying problem.

A competent mechanic will diagnose the problem well before throwing any money on it, I'd suggest your man is a nong & has no idea. I feel sorry for you bro. Surprised the engine has broken down like that unless very poorly maintained. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a simple repair job to get it up & running & your mechanic is leading you on a wild goose chase.