Latest News 2018 Camry New V6

campbeam

On 10/22/2017 at 12:05 AM, campbeam said:

Not much longer before the launch date. Just happened to come across this YouTube review for the USA model so it will be interesting what is available in Australia. Sure that we will be getting the updated V6 engine but the 4 cylinder engine remains the same.

Driving dynamics with the new chassis design could be enticing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwGMuKfHNNo

The 4 cylinder engine for China market has changed. The thermal efficiency increased a lot. 

The new V6 engine is dope. 

6 hours ago, PengNZ said:

The 4 cylinder engine for China market has changed. The thermal efficiency increased a lot. 

The new V6 engine is dope. 

Yes. They have updated the 4 cyl with an all new engine to keep inline with Mazda's Sky Active 4 cyl engines that utilise the high compression to give them some more power and torque. Good if you are into 4 cyl cars.

For me, I prefer the dynamics of the V6. It doesn't chew much more than the 4 cyl, and it can actually get better mileage than a 4 Cyl if you drive it smoothly. The added benefit of the V6 is all that reserve power on tap. NiiiCE !!!

If the replacement V6 is even more  refined than the current (outdated 2GR-FE), then it should be a very sweet Camry V6.

I will keep my Aurion for a while yet. We are still enjoying it immensely. Maybe one day a Japanese Built Camry V6 will be parked in my driveway..

• 3 weeks later...

Just spotted this article about pricing for the 2018 Camry.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/new-toyota-camry-from-japan-is-up-to-10000-more-than-the-australianmade-model/news-story/752838cdc873d255c63c7b15e1c30ca6

Certainly got a few thoughts about this pricing strategy especially as I have been taking a keen interest in Hyundai/Kia and Mazda models for comparative purposes. Time will tell how much market share is lost or gained.

Noticed in the link Peng gave, that Toyotas' Specifications for the SX V6 were a little mixed up!

One area showing V6 Specs says, 'Four cylinders, in-line...' ???

Also mentions 'Unleaded Fuel' then  'Minimum fuel octane number - 95' ???

15 hours ago, MIKHALE said:

Noticed in the link Peng gave, that Toyotas' Specifications for the SX V6 were a little mixed up!

One area showing V6 Specs says, 'Four cylinders, in-line...' ???

Also mentions 'Unleaded Fuel' then  'Minimum fuel octane number - 95' ???

flat,800x800,070,f.u2.jpg

Just making the point that one area specified ULP and another PULP,(95).

Aurion was great giving you the choice of ULP or PULP depending on your budget, (12 cents per litre dearer here in Tassie).

New Camry V6 seems to be removing that choice with this newer engine.

38 minutes ago, MIKHALE said:

Just making the point that one area specified ULP and another PULP,(95).

You're misreading it.  It is first saying "unleaded" as fuel TYPE (as opposed to leaded, or diesel, or E85, or avgas etc etc), and then qualifying that by further specifying a minimum 95RON RATING.

Man the prices for SX and SL is shocking for a V6 in W.A. What are your prices in other states for this?

I think i will keep the Aurion until they bloody drop the price down a bit. If there is a Touring version (like mine) then I would be happy to replace my Aurion Touring for A Camry Touring but I dont think i will buy another Toyota car. The Aurion will be my last one and I will be sad at the sale or trade in.

I'm tempted to off my two cars & get the sporty/smart lookn V6 in that delicious wine colour no matter how much of a prick it might be to service. The V6 looks the goods as I like smooth quick power/torque delivery, steering wheel could be better/aka 3 spoke but otherwise beautiful. Perhaps I'm becoming an 'ol fart ?

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:14 PM, DeafDave76 said:

Man the prices for SX and SL is shocking for a V6 in W.A. What are your prices in other states for this?

I think i will keep the Aurion until they bloody drop the price down a bit. If there is a Touring version (like mine) then I would be happy to replace my Aurion Touring for A Camry Touring but I dont think i will buy another Toyota car. The Aurion will be my last one and I will be sad at the sale or trade in.

For me in Melbourne and where I live, it costs around 45k for the SL V6, which will become 49 drive away. I find it pretty good value really compared to the Aurion. 

Having said that though...about 50k+ a bit more for some of the cooler accessories (such as the integrated dash cam...I know I know I have an aftermarket one already but I would happily pay for the privilege to have it integrated into the car) seems a bit steep since it 1 doesn't have the "sporty" suspension of the Sx, smaller wheels (may not be such a minus since some reviewers question the ride...but find me an unbiased reviewer of a camry that doesnt begin the articles with all the boring clichés and I'll find you the gold at the end of the rainbow) and a 6 speaker sound system. Also, I doubt it has auto folding mirrors, auto dipping external mirrors (I may be wrong with this one), adjustable rear head rests (may not matter at all...but come on this is a 50k+ car), no "sporty" pedals, no black out roofs and spoilers like the American version as well as an inferior infotainment system (no entune 3) and the biggest gripe of all...the SL cannot be optioned the red interior "leather" of the Sx model. Instead one has to make do with boring black or "ivory". It also misses out on the "sporty" seats of the Sx and makes do with the accent sport seats but with "leather".

So, just as I predicted (not here), our model is watered down. However, we do get ventilated front seats (does that mean it's cooled?) and seat memory function which the Americans do not get.  

RRP in Melb central (assume same all over the place), no extras like panoramic roof etc.

Clarification:

2.5L 4 cylinder in White:

SX - $37,548

SL - 44,534

V6 - plus $4,168

Met/Pearl paint - plus $475

NewCamry-pricing.png

Edited by ZZT86
V6 info

21 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

RRP in Melb central (assume same all over the place), no extras like panoramic roof etc.

NewCamry-pricing.png

Mate yours is more cheaper than mine! I guess each states are different on their driveaway prices! For SX its 44 grand driveaway and SL $49 grand driveaway

• 1 month later...

Now that the Aurion nameplate has passed into history, what are the options for the future?

There is the Camry V6, which I guess is a re-vamp of the Aurion. Engine power goes up from 200Kw to 224Kw. However the specs. say that premium 95 unleaded fuel is required. Will the Camry V6 run OK on E10 which is theoretically 94 or 95 RON?

An improved auto. gearbox is standard with two extra speeds. Lots of bells and whistles for electronic operation, phones and computers etc. The Aussie ones are made in Japan. However 19 inch wheels on the SX, which may look classy and offer better cornering but harsher ride and more expensive tyres. Can smaller wheels (16 or 17 inch) be fitted for those who prefer comfort? Or does one pay more to purchase the SL with the 18 inch wheels?

The Camry V6 has perhaps a classier body shape (beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

The SX on the road is around $41K whilst the LX is around $48K.

What do others think?

I tend to agree with Deafdave.

On 02/11/2017 at 4:17 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

I will keep my Aurion for a while yet. We are still enjoying it immensely. Maybe one day a Japanese Built Camry V6 will be parked in my driveway..

My 2006 Aurion ATX is my daily driver and I have a 2008 Aurion Prodigy  as my project standby replacement. So I expect it will be quite some years before a used 2018 Camry V6 will be in my driveway unless I win Lotto big time.

Still never get tired of jumping into our Presara, slide into the leather seats and push the go go button and go for a cruise..

Yes a new baby is a pleasure.. but I love the fact some workers here in OZ put our baby together..It is a pleasure to pilot it about the central coast

KAA

This is a recent review. Interesting what was reported about the suspension tune for the V6. Still bemused about their rating for economy and resale.

https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2018-toyota-camry-sl-v6-quick-spin-review-116986.html?ffref=brisbanetimes&trackLink=SMH0

• Like 1

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

Interesting what was reported about the suspension tune for the V6. S

The Fairfax motoring writer must be diplomatic in the wording, or vehicle manufacturers will not supply any more vehicles for testing.
From my reading of the Toyota literature, the SX has stiffer suspension than the SL and also 19 inch wheels on the SX versus 18's on the SL.
Perhaps the SX may not exhibit the 'floating' characteristic.

• Like 1

I get the distinct impression journos are often "bought" to comment in reviews. As Ronald above stated, the SL appears to be the slush version so the suspension tune would obviously be set accordingly, the "Sportivo" - ahem SX version would be the best bet for the V6, it would be my choice if I was in line for a new car.

I too am confused by their economy & resale ratings. To me both would score highly especially the economy given the size/weight of the car powered by a 3.5L V6, I like !

Edited by ZZT86