Oil leak Aurion 2007

nushydude

1 hour ago, 07Prodigy said:

Ok sweet thanks for that.

I have just looked at my car and they are rubber, but it has the "AHG56B2" campaign sticker. So I ran toyota and asked, and according to a Toyota  dealership in Nerang, they don't always replace them with an all metal pipe. Apparently it's whatever Toyota has is stock that they use. So I have two rubber hoses going to/from the oil cooler.

The hose that is leaking is coming from near the power steering pump, which going on that diagram is for the VVTi, and I'm guessing this could be why it's always making the clanging noise when I first start it, because oil is leaking out while the car is sitting.

You are fortunate having that campaign sticker. In your case, you should be covered by Toyota as it was previous repair. Attached pdf relates to USA dealerships. Clanging noise on startup should hopefully be corrected when the VVT-i line is replaced. If not, then there is a pin in the VVT-i that needs to be checked.

1 hour ago, 07Prodigy said:

Ok so is this a 40 series issue?

i was thinking of buying a 50 series, but if I'm going to have all these issues I'll just get a Tesla.

50 series definitely have the full metal VVt-i line. 2012 and later builds should have the full metal oil cooler hoses.

toyota_oilhose_dealer notice.pdf

2 hours ago, nushydude said:

Was there any recall notice here? 

I bought the car last year from a Toyota Dealership. Shouldn't they have done something before I bought the car? 

No recall for either the VVT-i oil line or the oil cooler hose.

Best to check your paperwork for any extended warranty from the purchase with the Toyota Dealership.

4 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

There was a VVT-i oil line campaign about around 2009-10. We had ours replaced free of charge.

I think it may have been for a limited period though.

Did you get it replaced with an all metal pipe or the improved one with the partial rubber hose? 

2 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Ours was metal, but it came down to what they had in stock.

So the previous owner of my car probably ignored to get it replaced free of charge! I wouldn't be in this mess if this wasn't the case. *sigh*

27 minutes ago, nushydude said:

So the previous owner of my car probably ignored to get it replaced free of charge! I wouldn't be in this mess if this wasn't the case. *sigh*

As I said, it was what they had in stock. They could have just as easily fitted a rubber one.

We also bought our car from a Toyota dealer as the second owner, so Toyota knew the full history.

Once a vehicle is sold outside of the Toyota network or is no longer serviced by Toyota, they lose track of it and contacting the new owner becomes nearly impossible. Many people are not aware of the recalls that come out for vehicles or the dealer service campaigns.

It's up to you to do your own research on the vehicle model prior to purchasing.

I thought they would do that in conjunction with the relevant road authority (i.e. VicRoads). Because one of my colleagues told me that he got a recall notice for his 2008 V4 Camry after buying the car from a private seller. My colleague had never done the service at a Toyota dealership. So how would they know how to contact him? Surely they got that info from the road authority. 

Not possible, Toyota never made a V4 Camry. :tongue: It's an I4.

The replacement of this hose was not a recall, that is much larger and is often mandated by an external organisation.

The vehicle may also have been registered on the Toyota ownership website.

https://www.toyota.com.au/owners

On 1/24/2017 at 5:35 PM, 07Prodigy said:

Ok so is this a 40 series issue?

i was thinking of buying a 50 series, but if I'm going to have all these issues I'll just get a Tesla.

You'll have a world more trouble buying a Tesla. Just get a 50 series for trouble motoring

I got the car back on Wednesday afternoon, but couldn't update the thread.

They charged me $680 for the whole thing. I got the front oil cooler hose replaced with the metal pipe as well. A large portion of it is for the labour. Sadly, the replacement VVT-I hose still has a rubber mid section, albeit the improved version. They said that's all they have. *sigh*

They had to top up engine oil with 4 litres of Castrol Magnatec 5w30. So there was some still left in the engine. I didn't mention in the first post, but the car port whe I park the car has a slightly forward slanted floor, so probably that's why I got it as zero oil. (i.e. an incorrect reading).

I tested the car (actually I drove for like 200km since getting it back) and it still has the power just as it used to, so I don't think the engine was harmed. There aren't any strange noises or anything out of the ordinary. I will keep an eye for excessive oil consumption though.

2 hours ago, nushydude said:

They charged me $680 for the whole thing. I got the front oil cooler hose replaced with the metal pipe as well. A large portion of it is for the labour. Sadly, the replacement VVT-I hose still has a rubber mid section, albeit the improved version. They said that's all they have.

$680 - you must have been charged at desperation rates.

Suggest that you go back and read thoroughly all of the posts to your thread and the attachment below that I previously posted. Did you specifically request the front oil cooler hoses to be replaced [at your expense]. Otherwise, if it is leaking then it is covered by Toyota Australia at least up to 10 years after the build date.

Estimated time to replace the rubber hose mid-section of the VVT-i line is approx. 1.5 hours. Angled long nose pliers are utilised to remove the spring clips on the hose. However, it is so much easier to fully remove the line then replace the rubber hose but it is more time consuming.

5 hours ago, nushydude said:

I didn't mention in the first post, but the car port whe I park the car has a slightly forward slanted floor, so probably that's why I got it as zero oil. (i.e. an incorrect reading).

It actually has nothing to do with your floor.

Dipsticks do not reach the bottom of the sump. There are normally a few litres of oil once there is no oil on the dipstick.

Many dipsticks do not even take the reading from the deepest part of the sump where the oil pickup is located.

6 hours ago, nushydude said:

I don't think the engine was harmed.

Your engine should be fine because it still had enough oil to be pressured out of the pinhole in the rubber hose and drip onto your garage floor. Different story if your engine was starved of oil.

18 hours ago, campbeam said:

$680 - you must have been charged at desperation rates.

Suggest that you go back and read thoroughly all of the posts to your thread and the attachment below that I previously posted. Did you specifically request the front oil cooler hoses to be replaced [at your expense]. Otherwise, if it is leaking then it is covered by Toyota Australia at least up to 10 years after the build date.

Estimated time to replace the rubber hose mid-section of the VVT-i line is approx. 1.5 hours. Angled long nose pliers are utilised to remove the spring clips on the hose. However, it is so much easier to fully remove the line then replace the rubber hose but it is more time consuming.

Didn't you say the VVT-I line replacement would cost me $500-600? They quoted $520 for it. The extra charge is for the oil cooler hose replace with the full metal one and 4 litres of Castrol Magnatec 5W30 engine oil. I asked them to replace the oil cooler hose. They wouldn't do it free of charge if there was no damage sadly. 

16 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

It actually has nothing to do with your floor.

Dipsticks do not reach the bottom of the sump. There are normally a few litres of oil once there is no oil on the dipstick.

Many dipsticks do not even take the reading from the deepest part of the sump where the oil pickup is located.

I see. My bad. I'm a newbie when it comes to car mechanics :D

14 hours ago, campbeam said:

Your engine should be fine because it still had enough oil to be pressured out of the pinhole in the rubber hose and drip onto your garage floor. Different story if your engine was starved of oil.

Makes sense. 

11 hours ago, nushydude said:

I see. My bad. I'm a newbie when it comes to car mechanics :D

Consider purchasing one of these manuals. You can find them cheaper and also used on eBay. 

I have one for each car that I own. Even though I have quite a lot of experience, it still fills the void regarding specifications and difficult processes.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Toyota-Aurion-2006-13-Gregory-s-300/SPO3144036