Autobarn sale. What to buy for the next service?

nushydude

Hi guys, 

The next service for my 2007 Aurion AT-X is coming up in a month and I am planning to buy parts for it (and for the future) at the autobarn 20% off sale this weekend. The service is going to be a general service, but if you are wondering, the last service I did was the 90,000km major service when I bought the car. I included it as a package when I bought the car from Camberwell Toyota. (The previous owner had not done the 90,000km service).

With your advise, I have decided to just do a general service from here after. I will be getting it done from a mobile mechanic. 

What should I buy? Couple of Nulon Long Life 5w30 6 litre cans? 

Cheers

If you've got cash then buy stuff that has unlimited shelf-life but you're guaranteed to need in the future - things like oil and air filters, spark plugs, windscreen wiper blades etc etc.

I always buy when cheap as I service 5,000km/6 monthly. I normally have a few spare filters and some oil sitting around.

As Hiro said, you are guaranteed to use it, providing you are maintaining the car correctly.

Same here to others I tend to grab any on sale items of good quality..cabin filters,air oil etc..always handy to have it around, things like the Iridium Plugs I shopped around as the costs can vary widely

KAA

I recall that in a previous post, you mentioned about saving for a house deposit. Therefore, focus upon what items you are going to need for the next service or short term.

I have just bought Nulon brand DOT3 brake fluid on a multi-buy special at Supercheap.

Last purchases of full synthetic engine oil [10W-30 or 10W-40] have been from SuperCheap and AutoBarn. One special was 45% saving and a limit of 2 per customer.

Check any maintenance records for when your coolant was last changed.

I use eBay for other parts that can be easily posted.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-Fit-For-Toyota-Genuine-OEM-Oil-Petrol-Filter-04152-YZZA1-Pack-Kit-/182355687844?hash=item2a753ef9a4:g:ArEAAOSwA3dYLA20

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191782344170?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131689111676?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

SuperCheap also has a 20% off deal just for today. So I will be picking the cheapest.

14 hours ago, campbeam said:

I recall that in a previous post, you mentioned about saving for a house deposit. Therefore, focus upon what items you are going to need for the next service or short term.

I have just bought Nulon brand DOT3 brake fluid on a multi-buy special at Supercheap.

Last purchases of full synthetic engine oil [10W-30 or 10W-40] have been from SuperCheap and AutoBarn. One special was 45% saving and a limit of 2 per customer.

Check any maintenance records for when your coolant was last changed.

I use eBay for other parts that can be easily posted.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-Fit-For-Toyota-Genuine-OEM-Oil-Petrol-Filter-04152-YZZA1-Pack-Kit-/182355687844?hash=item2a753ef9a4:g:ArEAAOSwA3dYLA20

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191782344170?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131689111676?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes, I'm saving for a house, but it will take a couple of more years before we have all the money for the deposit because my income is not very high and my wife isn't working. 

Is the Nulon Long Life 5w30 6 litre can sufficient for a complete fill? If I am replacing the oil filter (which I am), I would need 6.1 litres. Of course I should buy extra to keep in handy for loss of oil with engine usage. What would you do in my case? 
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Nulon-Full-Synthetic-Long-Life-Engine-Oil-5W-30-6-Litre/343508

When you replace brake fluid, how much brake fluid do you need for a complete fill? What super cheap has is the  500ml can. http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Nulon-Brake-Fluid-DOT-3-500mL/360078

The link you gave for the filter, is it the full  filter? Why does it say "Set Fit" For Toyota Genuine OEM Oil Petrol Filter 04152-YZZA1 "Pack Kit"?

I am unsure when the coolant was replaced. I tried contacting Camberwell Toyota for the service record (90,000km one which was performed at the time of purchase) but said the service department is closed today. In the service log book, it says only to replace the coolant if it is found to be bad, so it is almost a certain that they didn't replace it. Isn't the coolant good enough for 160000km? That's what is written under the bonnet. However, the car is almost 10 years old, so it might be about time I replaced it. 

They should have replaced the spark plugs at that service as well. It is always better to have few handy? Pretty expensive, aren't they? 

Does the air filter you linked fit model 2007 as well? It says specifically it is for 2006 model. 

5 hours ago, nushydude said:

Is the Nulon Long Life 5w30 6 litre can sufficient for a complete fill? If I am replacing the oil filter (which I am), I would need 6.1 litres. Of course I should buy extra to keep in handy for loss of oil with engine usage. What would you do in my case? 

Buy 2 now. Usually more expensive to buy 1 litre containers.

When you replace brake fluid, how much brake fluid do you need for a complete fill?

It can be done with 1 bottle but I usually end up using some of the 2nd bottle.

The link you gave for the filter, is it the full  filter? Why does it say "Set Fit" For Toyota Genuine OEM Oil Petrol Filter 04152-YZZA1

It is for the oil filter. The Aurion uses an oil housing with the filter cartridge inside instead of the spin-on oil filter used by older vehicles. 

6 hours ago, nushydude said:

They should have replaced the spark plugs at that service as well. It is always better to have few handy? Pretty expensive, aren't they? 

You will have to confirm whether the spark plugs were replaced at the 90,000km service when you bought the vehicle. Long life Denso brand iridium plugs can have a life of about 190,000 km. 100,000km is the recommended service interval. 

6 hours ago, nushydude said:

Does the air filter you linked fit model 2007 as well? It says specifically it is for 2006 model. 

Yes. It says TOYOTA AURION - GSV40R Petrol V6 3.5L 2GR-FE .  

October 2006 is when the Aurion GSV40R model series was first sold.

Thanks @campbeam. A lot of vital information. 

I ordered the following items.

Nulon Long Life Engine Oil 5w30 6 litre x2 (SCA)
Nulon Brake Oil DOT3 500ml x2 (SCA)
Oil Filter x2 (EBAY) - as per your link
Air Filter x1 (EBAY) - as per your link

I will have to check with Toyota whether they replaced the spark plugs (is there any way to tell if they are new by inspection?) and the coolant. 

I also wonder if the brake pads have worn out. When I hit the brakes lightly, it sometimes squeaks. It doesn't happen if I brake harder though. They probably just need some adjustments. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, nushydude said:

I will have to check with Toyota whether they replaced the spark plugs (is there any way to tell if they are new by inspection?) and the coolant. 

Only way to inspect the spark plug is to remove it. Hard to tell how old a plug, more a case of how worn it appears. As for the coolant, you can use Ph test strips to check Ph is alkaline 7.5 to 11 range. 

2 hours ago, nushydude said:

When I hit the brakes lightly, it sometimes squeaks. It doesn't happen if I brake harder though. They probably just need some adjustments. Any thoughts?

Probably brake dust. I occassionally hose my wheels to wash away the brake dust. Good idea to remove a front wheel and check for how worn the brake pads are. Repeat for rear wheels. Expect the front brake pads to be more worn than the rear brake pads.

14 minutes ago, krigeroz said:

What brand of  spark plugs do you usually get? 

I have a preference for Denso(OEM manufacturer) as I've never had any issues and they are reliable, even when changing heat ranges(performance/modifying related).

They are quality made plug, but can be hard to find in stores and can be a little on the pricey side.

If you search hard enough you can find good deals.

Any of the big brands will be fine though, NGK, Champion or Bosch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trentmeyer23 said:

I have a preference for Denso(OEM manufacturer) as I've never had any issues and they are reliable, even when changing heat ranges(performance/modifying related).

Is there a good alternative, what would be the second best choice, Bosch? 

1 minute ago, krigeroz said:

Is there a good alternative, what would be the second best choice, Bosch? 

Probably Bosch as they are a little easier to source. I'd use any of ones I mentioned above though.

12 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Probably Bosch as they are a little easier to source. I'd use any of ones I mentioned above though.

Actually after looking a bit more carefully, I don't think there are much better options out there:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-X-DENSO-IRIDIUM-SPARK-PLUGS-IKH20TT-Toyota-Aurion-Prado-FJ-Cruiser-/122239874919?hash=item1c76107767:g:XH8AAOSwuMFUl36K

8 minutes ago, krigeroz said:

Actually after looking a bit more carefully, I don't think there are much better options out there:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-X-DENSO-IRIDIUM-SPARK-PLUGS-IKH20TT-Toyota-Aurion-Prado-FJ-Cruiser-/122239874919?hash=item1c76107767:g:XH8AAOSwuMFUl36K

I haven't done any comparative testing; however, I have never had a failure.

That's also not a bad price, considering how many kilometres you will get from them.

4 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

I haven't done any comparative testing; however, I have never had a failure.

I was just trying to say that for that price, it comes to $15 for a spark plug DENSO IRIDIUM, it would be almost impossible to find something better.

Edited by krigeroz