Insurance

Just telling you guys what i found out yesterday when renewing my insurance.

I am currently with AAMI. I asked them how my policy would be affected if i modified my car.

They said you are allowed 2 modifications without paying extra premium. More than 2 modifications they would not cover at all.

Rang Just Cars. The first modification added $70 to the premium. The next 5 did not have any effect. Any modification after that added another $70 to premium. They allow for unlimited modifications.

I am also wit AAMI

the 2 mods are classified as "performance"

anything that is aesthetic is not included in this.. ie, interior, lights, sunroof.

I also looked at JustCars but to do the mods i wanted was an extra $200 to what im paying...

what mods were u thinking of?? and wat premium did u get from JustCars? (jst want to compare..)

(23 yo Male driver here)

AAMI is good if like those extra benefits rent a car etc.

I'm currently with AAMI and Just cars will cover me for the same price with mods included.

I'm turning 25 in a few months so i'll just stick with AAMi and have them cover me for all mods.

AAMI charge me just over 1000 and just cars would charge me $920 for a stock sportivo with entertainment system.

Edited by Gascan

I am 23 and from just cars got quoted $1400 or so for a stock sportivo.

+add $70 for mods.

AAMI im paying $1117...but i get discount cos i choose to pay higher excess.

You didnt answer the question....

what mods did u discuss/are planning to do?

Syd, 25 yrs old male, yr obtain licence: 1997, max NCB:

stock Sportivo:

NRMA under $900

Just Car $125x

AAMI $993

GIO ~$13xx

lowered 35mm + 7" wheels

NRMA -not cover

Just Car ~$13xx

AAMI $993

GIO ~$13xx

Suncorp $13xx

The price variations i think are due to the areas the cars are stored in.

I think Sydney premiums are higher then other states. (what else is new)

I am 23 and from just cars got quoted $1400 or so for a stock sportivo.

+add $70 for mods.

AAMI im paying $1117...but i get discount cos i choose to pay higher excess.

You didnt answer the question....

what mods did u discuss/are planning to do?

It doesnt matter what mod you do.....if its a mod to an exhaust for an example..then u say i modified the exhaust and they count that as 1...etc etc

It doesnt matter what mod you do.....if its a mod to an exhaust for an example..then u say i modified the exhaust and they count that as 1...etc etc

Some insurers work on a points system, where different mods attract different points, doubled if you're under 25, and if those points add up to a certain amount or more, you may not be offered coverage.

If you do take out their insurance, the points will determine if you pay a higher premium or a higher excess (either for certain events or drivers, or across the policy).

23 yo male, mildly modded 2005 Sportivo.

Comprehensive insurance with NRMA: $750

That includes cover for:

35mm lowering

7.5" width alloy rims

Tinted windows

Also allows sound system modification equal to 1/3 of the cars original value without affecting the premium.

NRMA allows u to lower 30mm - so tell them that u lowered 30mm - what is 5mm diff dennis ?? U can blame it on sag. even stock corollas all settle at slightly different heights.,

I asked NRMA and its ur INTENDED lowering height. Not actual. :)

Syd, 25 yrs old male, yr obtain licence: 1997, max NCB:

stock Sportivo:

NRMA under $900

Just Car $125x

AAMI $993

GIO ~$13xx

lowered 35mm + 7" wheels

NRMA -not cover

Just Car ~$13xx

AAMI $993

GIO ~$13xx

Suncorp $13xx

thats weird, i was just doing some quotes on the NRMA/AAMI website and a person due to turn 25 in <3 months costs $1571, whereas a person already 25 is $1607... WTF? (AAMI was $1721 for a male 25).

And this is on a STOCK corolla Conquest 2003 auto.... is there something that im missing here?

Just cars on the other hand quoted $1121... (24 or 25).

License aquired 1998, with no driving offences in the last 5 years (ie 60~65 NCB).

Is there something that im missing here?

Edited by neK

You guys are all forgettign the main factor. Where you ive.

When i lived in the west of sydney i paid close to $2000 when i was 20. Then in the same year i moved to north shore and it went down to $670 for the next year. Depends on the theft rate in the suburb you live in.

20yo male, stock sportivo, RACQ $1100

Did that figure change much with your sports muffler fitted?

No, like you said the points system. Also i think they (person a dealt with) put down as minor mod, so more or less didnt affect my premium just the points went up.

When i lived in the west of sydney i paid close to $2000 when i was 20. Then in the same year i moved to north shore and it went down to $670 for the next year. Depends on the theft rate in the suburb you live in.

exactly, my car at my place cost $993, same car just change postcode to Hurstville cost close to $1600!

ignoring the suburb part, but wtf is wrong with NRMA?

For the suburb im in (2193) a 25 year old costs more than a 24 year old!!! :angry:

(For JustCars another Suburb such as Ermington (2115) its more expensive than Canterbury (2193), yet NRMA has Ermington cheaper - I just dont get these underwriters!)

exactly, my car at my place cost $993, same car just change postcode to Hurstville cost close to $1600!

thats nuckin futs ...

i got quoted by aami $120 cheaper if I parked the car in the garage.. more if I parked on my drive way ..