C-HR Head Unit

Southpatt

I thought I'd start a topic for this as I believe will be more discussion around this unit, but initially I'd like to ask those of you that have your vehicles about the Nav software installed

I was a bit perturbed to see it navigating me around roundabouts that were removed and replaced with traffic lights 18 months ago

so upon checking version of sat nav software (menu/more/help/about)  - It came back as June 2015! -

My car has basically been delivered with two year old maps! I emailed the dealer who rang me later today to say they were inquiring with Toyota

But the demo car at the dealer he checked had these same maps - The SD card is placed in before delivery to the dealer

I asked about their update policy as to be honest I had not inquired - thinking - Toyota

I know and have emailed the links to them that Hyundai have two free updates over three  years with service

And Mazda have two free updates a year for the first three years

But Toyota seem to have nothing - which makes it all the more ridiculous to deliver a brand new car in 2017 with 2015 maps

I am awaiting a further response after he checks and comes back to me

igo.jpg

Good point to raise. I asked my dealer if they could throw in map updates with future servicing and got a flat no. With supply constraints and popularity the ball is in their court. But 2015 maps on a new car is ridiculous! 

I have sent a contact enquiry to IGO and Naviextras on their website.

There are no Toyota Australia Models including the C-HR listed on the Naviextras website. 

The file structure on my SD Card was created -  ‎Friday, ‎22 ‎July ‎2016, ‏‎4:20:03 PM

It is almost 12 months since they received the cards :( let alone having out of date maps.

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/devicessupport

Toyota Argentina  models:

• Etios
 Toyota Brasil  models:
  • Etios
Toyota GCC  models:
  • Toyota Tsusho UAE Land Cruiser AVN
  • Toyota Tsusho UAE Sequoia
  • Toyota Tsusho UAE Prado
  • Toyota Tsusho Oman Land Cruiser AVN
  • Toyota Tsusho Saudi Land Cruiser AVN
  • Toyota Tsusho UAE Camry
  • G3+
  • FJ-Cruiser
  • RAV4

So Surfsideminer

Am I to understand your maps are June 2015 also ?

yes I checked the Navi extras site and found this same information

I think Toyota's Au Deal is that they are so customised, will only work, and have to be purchased through Toyota

The won't allow the makers to sell as original

The response is a standard one. I will translate:

I do not speak English or I am a robot and therefore I cannot answer your enquiry.

I have closed this enquiry thank you and please buy a product from someone who cares.

Original untranslated version follows.

---8<---

To Surfsideminer 21 Jun at 10:17 PM

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in our products!

My name is Zlatoslava and I will handle your issue from now on. 

Naviextras.com offers map updates, additional maps and extra content (such as 3D landmarks, 3D city maps and safety camera databases) to users of many different navigation devices. To see if your device is supported, please check our compatibility list.

If you wish to purchase and install updates on your device, please use our free PC tool, Naviextras Toolbox. Please follow the following steps to be able to purchase and install updates:

1. Download our free PC tool, Naviextras Toolbox from this page and install it.

2. Connect your device using a USB cable or card reader (if the navigation is on an SD card). If you have a built-in navigation unit, please check for possible special connection methods here.

3. Start Toolbox, and log in with your Naviextras.com username and password. If you do not have an account yet, you can create a user account using Toolbox, as well.

4. You might be entitled to a free update. Please check under the ‘Updates’ tab, and install any updates you might find there.

5. If you select the ‘Shop/Maps’ tab, you will find paid updates and extras available for your device. Select the desired update, then proceed to checkout. (Please note: Toolbox does not take the available free space on your device into consideration. Please first check in the package description the amount of space that is required for installation.)

6. After a successful purchase, Toolbox will display any purchased updates under the ‘Updates’ tab. Install them on your device by clicking on the ‘Install’ button. Should there be insufficient free space, click on ‘More… - Advanced…’ to customise what you would like to install.

For detailed Toolbox instructions, please follow this guide. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Based on the information available to us we now consider this ticket closed. However, if you feel that your question remains unanswered, please do not hesitate to reopen it by replying to this email. Should you have other inquiries regarding another issue, please open a new ticket through Naviextras.com or through Naviextras Toolbox.

We would ask that you take a few minutes of your time to fill out our customer satisfaction survey, helping us to improve the Naviextras® Customer Care experience.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Zlatoslava

Naviextras® Support
Edited by Surfsideminer
remove hyperlinks

Do we have anyone with enough tech to establish if we can upload an alternative app?

If Toyota cannot come to the party and provide more recent maps / updates, I would prefer an alternative product.

I have contacted Sygic to see if their software can be uploaded.

Edited by Surfsideminer
update

Naviextras Response.

Dear

Terence,

Thank you for your interest in our products!

I understand that you have Toyota C-HR that has our navigation software installed as the default navigation system and you want to update the map to the most current version.

I regret to inform you that your device is not supported at Naviextras.com.

These navigation devices are called OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) devices. Due to industry practices, the support for OEM devices is provided by the manufacturer of the product. As you bought an OEM device, I would kindly ask you to get in touch with the distributor or manufacturer regarding maps, updates, and support.

Thank you for your kind understanding and cooperation.

Based on the information available to us we now consider this ticket closed. However, if you feel that your question remains unanswered, please do not hesitate to reopen it by replying to this email. Should you have other inquiries regarding another issue, please open a new ticket through Naviextras.com or through Naviextras Toolbox.

We would ask that you take a few minutes of your time to fill out our customer satisfaction survey, helping us to improve the Naviextras® Customer Care experience.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Ryan

Naviextras® Support

Cheers Surfsideminer

Dealer came back and said that was the latest avail for the car and they have no control as the cars are delivered to them with SD cards in them

Suggested I speak to Toyota Care which I did and they said Three bags full -  not our responsibility  - you need to speak to the dealer

Really upset,,,,,,, 

I fired this email off to choice below

I also tweeted Toyota Aust and Toyota Japan  - Not Happy Jan

Hi - I Purchased a New Toyota CHR Koba from a Melbourne Toyota sealer - These cars are so new. They have been available for only a few months and supply is scarce. I noticed my maps in my sat nav were directing me around roundabouts removed 18 months ago - When I checked my maps - My car - delivered in June 2017 - Has maps dated June 2015!... I contacted my dealer who investigated and told me the SD cards are placed in cars before delivery to the dealers - he checked and said this was the latest version for my car. I find this totally unacceptable - I followed up with Toyota Australia's customer service who took my comments "very seriously" and will "pass this on" but at the end of the call it was evident that nothing was really going to happen... but maybe the dealer could discount a new map SD card when it came out when I ask them nicely at servicing time. I never really checked on their policy - thinking - TOYOTA - I knew Hyundai gave free map updates (2 free updates in three years when servicing) and Mazda also (2 free updates each year for three years) - Toyota - Thanks for your money - Here's you brand new car with two year old maps

Edited by Southpatt

My wife dutifully reminded me that if a product is supplied and not fit for purpose:

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees#what-products-and-services-are-guaranteed-

I have not yet contacted my Dealer here in WA but I will sometime this coming week, surely if they have updates there must be a policy/process...

• Like 1

That's hugely disappointing - 2 years is a long time,especially in the outer suburban areas. We really got jibbed on that head unit. Why don't they just whack Apple / Android Car Play that everyone is doing?

Before handing over my money, will be getting an assurance from the dealer that when an update comes out, it will be free. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/06/2017 at 9:45 PM, Surfsideminer said:

My wife dutifully reminded me that if a product is supplied and not fit for purpose:

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees#what-products-and-services-are-guaranteed-

I have not yet contacted my Dealer here in WA but I will sometime this coming week, surely if they have updates there must be a policy/process...

I sent two registered letters to the CEO and the Complaints Manager - I had a phone call a few days later from I assume another second tier rep saying  - June 2015 maps are from the October 2016 Release - These are the latest available for the car -  No They can't help me - I then dodged a complaint with Vic Consumer affairs who investigated on my behalf. They spoke to a more senior manager - and came back with the same story - They are trying to get whoever does the bundled sat-nav software to change or remove the date of the maps to the date of the software release - But this serves no purpose for consumers other to keep them in the dark how old the maps are. They have no idea when the next release will be. VCA advise me my next course would be Vcat small claims tribunal - But the costs to initiate this, and my time, would outweigh the price of the card. Toyota, being the behemoth they are, will just continue this practice I am sure. The only way to ensure you can an least get an upgrade is get the dealer to write something into the contact that they will supply a new SD card free of charge when new release is available, before you close the deal 

Hi Glenn,

Sad news really I would be surprised if a dealer would agree to those terms, and even if they do the cost of taking them to court for breach of contract makes it cheaper to just bag Toyota out for their actions.

There is another approach and that is trial by social media or This Day Tonight / 730 or whatever the Trial by Television Media groups are called these days (I rarely watch TV).

The issue with doing so is that I actually like my Koba, it is everything I thought that it would be and more. This one issue is annoying and a reflection on Toyota, not the car. The more C-HRs on the road the more aftermarket options that will become available.

I have been looking at alternate head units and have considered seeking information for a plug and play replacement from a couple of manufacturers, such as Joying, Erisin, etc. Ebay sites do not have the C-HR on their lists yet. I have sent Erisin an email asking for a plug and play replacement.

Erisin Enquiry:

I am looking for a high specification 7" or 8" unit to replace the head unit in my 2017 Australian Specification Toyota C-HR Koba. The unit must be plug and play and support the Toyota reversing camera and steering wheel controls. GPS, Android 7+, DAB+, 3G / 4G hot spot. CD / DVD is not a requirement but Android Play and mirroring is.
Pricing and options would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Terry

Kenwood have a nice unit for the Toyota http://www.kenwood.com/au/car/visual_navigation/ddx917ws/

No GPS but you can make that up with Car Play and Android Auto.  No DAB+ either.  A little pricey as well.

However the harness supplied will suit the *edit* factory power/speaker and steering wheel control plugs, You will need to source reverse camera and antenna adaptors.  Plus wire in park brake and reverse trigger.  You will also need to install the supplied microphone since the factory one is on the Toyota head unit itself. *end edit* 

Install video on the Toyota 86 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cj5nxT4qkM

Edited by ChittyChittyCHR
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Surfsideminer said:

Hi Glenn,

Sad news really I would be surprised if a dealer would agree to those terms, and even if they do the cost of taking them to court for breach of contract makes it cheaper to just bag Toyota out for their actions.

I'm sure if they were looking for a sale you could swing it. Not really much different for asking for other inclusions.

I don't know the real price of this part number (86271-0E173 if you are interested) but can be found on ebay new for around $200

I found my wife's Mazda card on ebay for this price also - The dealer wanted $800 - for a SD card !

Anyway - I think it's poor form by Toyota - I don't want to have to pay again for maps when they do come out again

Likewise - in my old car - I would put a new head unit in in a minute - I did.

But my car is so shiny new - I don't want -  and should not have to replace the Head unit

I want that 8" from the Europe Models - Toyota Europe provides free map updates

• Like 1

Picked up car yesterday and just checked my nav version - june 2015. Likewise, spewing we didn't get the euro version which also has dab+. 

I read somewhere we got stuck with this unit because Toyota Touch 2 wasn't compatible with Toyota Link (which hasn't been updated in 2 years!). Pretty dumb reason if you ask me when the reviews on the app are woeful.

The unit is ok but very laggy and when compared to the likes of the i30's new unit, it is miles behind. 

The sound is ok though with the bass turned right down, middle up and treble up. No equaliser or even presets like 'pop', 'rock', etc. 

The usb sticking out of the unit is pretty silly.

it'll do the job for now - keen to see what others do. For the sake of $1k on a new head unit that's faster, bigger and more modern, could be worth it.

I got the new car survey in an email today so I gave them another serve

Form the reviews on the Play store - Toyota links sucks - hasn't been updated in years and the only reason to get it - Pandora - are now closing their doors in Australia

I bought a micro usb of Ebay - put my 1000 + songs on it - Watch out - 255 files per folder limitation - so you can't dump them all in the root dir

The micro usb sits pretty flush  - but if you want to close the door - the thumb pull pulls of easily  and and then you can -  you'll need tweezers to pull it back out to add more songs

• Like 1

If memory serves the cigarette lighter sits inside the centre console?  The usb being on the factory head unit annoys me as well.  So my latest thought on replacing the stereo includes replacing the cigarette lighter with a dual usb port from the Kenwood deck (which has 2 usb ports, one apple, one android).  

There are plenty of how of videos on YouTube, sadly none for the CHR as it is so new.  I would like to take a crack at doing all this myself, I do worry about stuffing up electronics and trim though.   

I had the centre console apart before doing the USB Charger mod that I posted elsewhere.

I would recommend running the USB's from a new head unit down to the black on the front of the console where I put the USB Charger. It is a very easy location to access, much easier than getting to the cigarette lighter socket. 

I looked at all of the European accessory installation instructions sheetsthat I could find. I think it was the one for installing the wireless hotspot which sits in the centre console. The upper dash removal is slightly different for the Australian variant but a bit of care and planning overcame the differences without any damage.

Just in relation to the Toyota link app, Toyota have replied to a few people on their Facebook page, who have questioned the fact that pandora is about to be rendered useless and the lack of app update/s.

Have seen Toyota's social rep respond with :

"We are aware of Pandora's® plans to leave the Australian market and unfortunately as a result, the Pandora in-vehicle functionality via Toyota Link will cease to operate from July 31st, 2017. Toyota Australia will make an update available to remove the Pandora app from vehicles that have this app installed. This update will be available through the Apple® App Store® and Google Play™ by the 31st of July. We are dedicated to providing guests with the latest technology and experiences when owning a Toyota vehicle. Our team is working to ensure an alternative music streaming service can be introduced to replace Pandora®, we will advise all guests as soon as this has been completed. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause. If you'd like to talk to a member of our Guest Experience Team further about this update you can reach them on 1800 869 682 (Mon to Fri 8.30am - 5:30pm AEST). Thanks, Toyota Australia."

So a potential app/maybe in car software update to come in the next few weeks.. But at this point it only seems to be in purpose of removing the Pandora app from the link services which is again a bit disappointing as it now means the "Entertainment" part of the unit is now all but gone.

Edited by Robbie K
  • Like 1