95 Vienta Auto to Manual Conversion

ctate1

Alright boys need some advice, I currently own a 95 Vienta and my gearbox has decided to **** the bed on me (again) so I've mad the executive decision of slapping a manual one back on, apart from the obvious manual box, clutch, pedal box from a manual v6 is there anything specific I'd also need, also and tips for getting the job done? I already know just buying a manual one would be easier, but then I'd need to swap my coilovers, exhaust, sound system and all those annoying goodies (plus the car has a sentimental value).

Cheers to anyone that can give some advice, also apologies for being "that guy" that didn't search the forum for old topics.

You've got your work cut out for you.

Seriously, buy a manual one, but not for the reasons you may expect.

If you buy a full car, you will get everything and much cheaper. Strip it and flip the rest for scrap. Sell parts to make some coin as well.

You will also need shift cables, shifter assembly, shifter cover, instrument cluster(swap your odometer out), gearbox mount(I think it's different), flywheel, clutch master and slave cylinder and the ECU/engine wiring harness. Plus a bunch of small bits and pieces.

You will probably need to drill a hole in the firewall for the clutch master as well.

It's a pretty big job.

30 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

You've got your work cut out for you.

Seriously, buy a manual one, but not for the reasons you may expect.

If you buy a full car, you will get everything and much cheaper. Strip it and flip the rest for scrap. Sell parts to make some coin as well.

You will also need shift cables, shifter assembly, shifter cover, instrument cluster(swap your odometer out), gearbox mount(I think it's different), flywheel, clutch master and slave cylinder and the ECU/engine wiring harness. Plus a bunch of small bits and pieces.

You will probably need to drill a hole in the firewall for the clutch master as well.

It's a pretty big job.

Thanks for the advice mate, from my experience working on the motor I was already expecting it to be a bit of a **** show. I'll start having a shop around for new manual camry's or something else that takes my fancy. Worst case scenario is I sell it and post up ads on here for some BC golds for a vcv10 

I sympathise with your motivation to convert you auto to manual. I have owned both auto and manual 4 cylinder Camry wagons. The difference in power and economy is very significant. Also, they are more reliable if not abused.

However, I agree with Trent. The ECU  and wiring loom change over would be the deal breaker for me! Big, tedious job, that is for sure.

But manual trans Camry's are becoming hard to find. I found a 93 model with only 125,000klms on the odometer.

1 hour ago, Jim. said:

I sympathise with your motivation to convert you auto to manual. I have owned both auto and manual 4 cylinder Camry wagons. The difference in power and economy is very significant. Also, they are more reliable if not abused.

However, I agree with Trent. The ECU  and wiring loom change over would be the deal breaker for me! Big, tedious job, that is for sure.

But manual trans Camry's are becoming hard to find. I found a 93 model with only 125,000klms on the odometer.

The difference isn't as bad for the V6 though, but the manuals for those are even rarer.

That's the main problem I'm having right now, I've been playing with the idea of just getting a manual v6 and swaping my coilovers, exhaust, y-pipe and all the other goodies into it, but finding a decent v6 manual is more than a challenge. Found one that didn't look bad (for it's age) but it had 320,000k's on the clock and had very obviously been wound back.